• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

NormB

Puttered around to install some 1/2" birch plywood and sound insulation extending the tunnel cover. Held down with10-32 screws into rivnuts, side panels need fitting and insulation and rivnuts, will post pics when complte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

Puttered around to install some 1/2" birch plywood and sound insulation extending the tunnel cover. Held down with10-32 screws into rivnuts, side panels need fitting and insulation and rivnuts, will post pics when complte.
It looks great, NormB; nice work.

You might consider tacking a length of half-round to the leading edge of that sheet of plywood. It could help keep that edge from splintering-up over time, as you're sliding stuff into the back of the rig there. Just a thought. :beer:

Wire Fox

Joined the Indiana MVPA today. Aside from being half the age of anyone in the room, I had quite a few guys there that were ecstatic to hear I owned a HMMWV, as apparently there are no known members with one of these in Indiana. If you ever wondered why HMMWVs seem to get no love from the MVPA with regard to legal protection, it might be because they just don't know we're having this struggle...

Also today, I finished installing my quick disconnect fan hose. That let me run the engine without the cooling fan and NOT spew power steering fluid, so I did just that. Naturally my PS pump needs bled, as it wants to make a lot of noise if I try to exert it at all, despite fluid levels being correct. All gauges read at least moderately correctly, at least close enough to know if I was having a major issue somewhere. Lastly, I discovered that I have a leak somewhere around my fuel injection pump, as there was diesel fuel slowly leaking across the engine valley and was not damp on the covers. While checking that out, I also saw that three parts shook out from somewhere and were now sitting in the valley. One is a large O-ring, and the other is a flat washer and rubber flat washer that appear to pair together. Anybody know what these go to?

WP_20170311_19_14_22_Pro_LI.jpgWP_20170311_18_30_42_Pro_LI.jpg

NormB

It looks great, NormB; nice work.
You might consider tacking a length of half-round to the leading edge of that sheet of plywood. It could help keep that edge from splintering-up over time, as you're sliding stuff into the back of the rig there. Just a thought. :beer:
Thanks. I was going to put a radius on the side panels with a router before sealing/painting the wood. Not too sure how it'll hold up under future uses, but it's fun putting it together.

ryanruck

I ordered a set of Humvee Service tools......View attachment 670663
I ordered the same set from that seller a couple weeks ago. I got my set for $200. A friend of mine made an offer of $190 and got one too. Good deal on the tools since the cost on the kit is like $2500.

Saw someone else selling the kit that is the next level up that includes those tools plus some others for about $1,000. Would have preferred to get that but I don't have that much extra coin laying around at the moment. Busy paying off all the other goodies I've bought for my truck. :mrgreen:

Jakob1944

I ordered the same set from that seller a couple weeks ago. I got my set for $200. A friend of mine made an offer of $190 and got one too. Good deal on the tools since the cost on the kit is like $2500.

Saw someone else selling the kit that is the next level up that includes those tools plus some others for about $1,000. Would have preferred to get that but I don't have that much extra coin laying around at the moment. Busy paying off all the other goodies I've bought for my truck. :mrgreen:
Same price here.....about the time you buy 3 or 4 tools in the picture you are at this price.....you can always sell it on the way out.....

desmodromic

I ordered a set of Humvee Service tools......

So this kit is mostly just seal/bearing drivers? For hubs and transmissions?

What common service jobs is this kit useful for?

(apologies for the newb questions)

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 670834

Between you and my buddy I'm starting to feel like I overpaid! And here I was trying not to be an insulting low-baller! :mrgreen:

It's 53lbs worth of tools so be ready!
even at $200, quite a deal. As mentioned, just a few tools and you would be at the price. It "looked" like the spindle nut socket is in there also.

My UPS and fedex guys know me as the guy at the end of the street who gets all the heavy poop... but they like looking at what is in the driveway :)

ryanruck

So this kit is mostly just seal/bearing drivers? For hubs and transmissions?

What common service jobs is this kit useful for?

(apologies for the newb questions)
Yep, lots of different seal and bearing drivers for just about everything from geared hubs to diff pinions. I figured with a 20+ year old truck, I'm certainly going to have to replace more seals than the one front diff output seal (which I had to make my own seal installer for) I've done so far and the rear pinion seal I need to do.

There's other tools in the kit like pulley installers (don't know if these will only work on the serpentine belt pullies or not) and various other steering, suspension, and transmission tools.

This appears to include most of the basic specialty tools the TM calls for.

Wire Fox

Yep, lots of different seal and bearing drivers for just about everything from geared hubs to diff pinions. I figured with a 20+ year old truck, I'm certainly going to have to replace more seals than the one front diff output seal (which I had to make my own seal installer for) I've done so far and the rear pinion seal I need to do.

There's other tools in the kit like pulley installers (don't know if these will only work on the serpentine belt pullies or not) and various other steering, suspension, and transmission tools.

This appears to include most of the basic specialty tools the TM calls for.
*redacted* ...wrong tool set. I'll just be excited in general.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks