• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

infidel got me

taillightrepair.jpgtaillightrepair1.jpg Some knuckle head tightened the s@@@ out of my taillight screws, making the captive nut spin in the housing. Take the buckets off the truck and drill the backside of the taillight housing. Mix up some jb weld and fill drilled hole with weld. Let sit overnight. Screws will then come out. Replaced screws with new 10-24 screws. Had more pics, but wouldn't load from S@@@bomb phone....

Wire Fox

View attachment 670908View attachment 670909 Some knuckle head tightened the s@@@ out of my taillight screws, making the captive nut spin in the housing. Take the buckets off the truck and drill the backside of the taillight housing. Mix up some jb weld and fill drilled hole with weld. Let sit overnight. Screws will then come out. Replaced screws with new 10-24 screws. Had more pics, but wouldn't load from S@@@bomb phone....
Knucklehead fixes in mind...I've got one I forgot to mention the other day. Some knucklehead (might have been me...) tried to adjust the bend of a soft door while it had the door handle on it, causing the handle to snap when it pressed into something I didn't see underneath. Man, what a way to waste a brand new door handle....or is it?

WP_20170310_18_01_21_Pro_LI.jpg

I picked up a small pack of 2" mending plates from Ace Hardware and some super glue (JB weld would have also worked great)...bit of glue along the fracture, pressed pieces together for 30 seconds to set, and then allowed to start really curing. Marked and drilled the plastic handle and installed the mending plate with their included self-tapping screws as tensioned as I could get it. After letting it all set for 24 hours, it ended up curing rock-solid and was ready to be installed. It's been out on the HMMWV in the below-freezing temps and holding my door shut just fine with no flexing, creaking, or other signs of imminent failure (plus the doors are excessively tight right now and need adjusted). $2 in material saved me from spending another $30 on a very trashy door that's going to be replaced in a few months, anyway.

I'm seriously thinking about engraving my girlfriend's name onto that mending plate since she's going to be sitting on that side most of the time and it looks like it's begging to have something stamped on that plate. She'll think it's cute, or something... Maybe I do, too.

Last edited:

NormB

Yep, lots of different seal and bearing drivers for just about everything from geared hubs to diff pinions. I figured with a 20+ year old truck, I'm certainly going to have to replace more seals than the one front diff output seal (which I had to make my own seal installer for) I've done so far and the rear pinion seal I need to do.

This appears to include most of the basic specialty tools the TM calls for.

Is this set more specific to the 6.5 engine or is it general, covering 6.2s as well?

ryanruck

Is this set more specific to the 6.5 engine or is it general, covering 6.2s as well?
That I can't say with 100% certainty but, since both engines are so similar, I'd think it does. The manufacturer, KipperTool, does not list engine specific kits, only vehicle platform and service level specific kits. My truck has a 6.2L too so I would definitely hope it does!

NormB

That I can't say with 100% certainty but, since both engines are so similar, I'd think it does. The manufacturer, KipperTool, does not list engine specific kits, only vehicle platform and service level specific kits. My truck has a 6.2L too so I would definitely hope it does!
Thanks, Ryan. In for a penny, in for 53 pounds. I made an offer, it was accepted, set's on the way. I figure if this saves me even ONE trip to a shop in future for a repair I can do at home (since I'm disassembling the thing anyway), it'll be worth the investment.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just made and offer that was accepted for that set of tools too. The guy seems to be in a good mood, if you've some cash to spare, I would suggest you make a reasonable offer!
Bulldogger

Wire Fox

Sorta looks like I'm guilty of kidnapping this thread.........
Time to go spend more money I don't have. This is a really good deal and now that everyone on here's pretty well aware of it, I better get one while I can.

EDIT: Yup, spent that money. He accepted my offer...about a 30% savings for me off of his asking rate.

Last edited:

jake-cutter

Yep, the tools seems like too good of a deal to pass up. He just accepted my offer. Since the tools I use on my HMMWV keeps growing looks like I will also be buying another tool box just for hummer tools and spare parts.

Another Ahab

Yep, the tools seems like too good of a deal to pass up. He just accepted my offer. Since the tools I use on my HMMWV keeps growing looks like I will also be buying another tool box just for hummer tools and spare parts.
No, what you do now, you see; is you get yourself a Mule as a tool hauler. It's all a part of the plan.
:jumpin::tank:

ABC.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks