• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Wire Fox

Much progress on the transmission today. Sealed and bolted the NP242 and adapter to my 4L80E, put together a new speedometer adapter, and prepped everything to be lifted in. Unfortunately, my lift has failed me and is leaving me a few inches short of target...

WP_20170318_23_01_12_Pro_LI.jpg

I now need to either find someone I can borrow a transmission jack from that lifts to about 20", bite the bullet and buy one, or take the risky venture and use cribbage on top of my current jack to get the transmission up that extra few inches I need...

Bravojmc

Much progress on the transmission today. Sealed and bolted the NP242 and adapter to my 4L80E, put together a new speedometer adapter, and prepped everything to be lifted in. Unfortunately, my lift has failed me and is leaving me a few inches short of target...

View attachment 671706

I now need to either find someone I can borrow a transmission jack from that lifts to about 20", bite the bullet and buy one, or take the risky venture and use cribbage on top of my current jack to get the transmission up that extra few inches I need...

Good work! Let us know how it turns out.

infidel got me

finished.jpgfinished1.jpgthree.jpg This is what I ended up with!!! All major stuff is done-- waiting on a top/door kit for the last one.... Whew

Sorry for the crappy pic. I'll get a better one tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jakob1944

View attachment 671706

Tool rental store might have a transmission jack......pawn shop.....just saying

NormB

Home fabricated antenna mounting plate

Dunno, maybe it was out of boredom, or just the challenge of the thing, but I plan on putting a 2-band ham radio into the beast when it's more "road-worthy" (fuel system, mostly), something like a Kenwood VM-271 just 2M and 70CM and, while the 30-512MHz military whip is nice, and seems to work on those bands (at least my SWR meter's showing it SHOULD transmit well), I've been looking at an NMO-style antenna for my Tacoma too, and figured, well, what the heck.

Ordered some aluminum plate (got 1/4", probably could've used 1/8" but I wanted the fabricated part to look like mil-spec), took a circle cutter to it on my mill, drilled out the holes (step drill for the center), got the NMO mount, cap from another source - already had the chain - gasket from another, used RAPCO 383, took a couple hours to fabricate, finish the edges with some sandpaper, paint, and let it sit overnight
Thinking I'll install it on the other side of the truck where a (smashed/unusable) bracket had been mounted, run another wire up front.
Now I'm just waiting on the antenna.

IMG_3228.jpgIMG_3227.jpgIMG_3226.jpg

Wire Fox

Tool rental store might have a transmission jack......pawn shop.....just saying
Just what I ended up doing. Every pawn shop was closed today and nobody on Craigslist replied back, so I found one tool rental place that was open an had a transmission jack. $52 later, I'm back in business.
WP_20170319_18_19_47_Pro_LI.jpg
Transmission is completely secured to the frame. I thought I was going to put the propeller shafts in as well, but it turns out, A1s were apparently designed to utilize the NP242...so those propeller shafts that were with my HMMWV have the typical problem of the front being too short and the rear being too long, except that they do have all of the correct fittings as-is. I'll be doing a comparison to see if I'll be buying new or having a shop make the modification. As well, I'm going to need to get a new transmission dipstick, trans-t-case cooling hard lines, and flexplate cover.

I'm just pretty well ecstatic at this point that I don't have any large parts on the ground any longer! ...and as a bonus, I also replace the dry-rotted wiper blades. I was going to wait until I had the vehicle rolling in order to spare them from needless early exposure, but sometime it's nice having an easy job go smoothly to make a tough job that went rough feel even better.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Trimmed off some of the troop seats so I can have them down and still have my rear passenger seats up.
View attachment 671844
Neat idea. It'd be pretty weird riding back there in that seat with the fixed door and troop seat back against your side....but not impossible. I figured that I might use my rear seats some day with the fixed door and troop seats removed in order to seat four while doing some off-roading without springing for the four-door top.

Bravojmc

Neat idea. It'd be pretty weird riding back there in that seat with the fixed door and troop seat back against your side....but not impossible. I figured that I might use my rear seats some day with the fixed door and troop seats removed in order to seat four while doing some off-roading without springing for the four-door top.
Thanks. I like it better that way but I mostly pull the pins and keep the seats in the garage.
Just took her out and did about ten miles. It was 82 today and the cooling system works great.

IMG_7091.jpg

Jakob1944

a place to put your groceries......

Bravojmc

Thinking about it now. There's something weird there... linkage in the windshield is incorrect. Right?
my truck has a brand new wiper motor.. I'm guessing they hooked the linkage up wrong at the base.

Wire Fox

Thinking about it now. There's something weird there... linkage in the windshield is incorrect. Right?
my truck has a brand new wiper motor.. I'm guessing they hooked the linkage up wrong at the base.
If they operate full-swing, remain mostly parallel to each other through their entire travel, and always stop at the same spot, then nothing is functionally wrong with them...just the way they setup the linkage is a bit odd. If it doesn't bother you while driving, I'd personally leave it be and just enjoy your snowflake. Heck, make up stories about how it's out of a right-hand-drive HMMWV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks