• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Gear Report

Ddk2001

Finally got my console / stereo / accessory issue resolved. I ended up building a small ammo box to hold the stereo and accessories.

Ive got a dual-voltage alternator/regulator setup so I ran battery cable from the 14v post on the regulator to the back battery. From there - I ran power to the radio tray inside the ammo box to a fuse block. Put in a Bluetooth stereo, a couple of USB charging ports, and a couple of switched LED license plate lights for some interior light. I also put a battery cutoff switch on the box to kill the power to it when not in use.

I also wanted some level of lockable storage - so I picked up an old .30 cal ammo can. Drilled and installed a cam lock, and riveted in a striker plate. Put a couple of small spacers underneath and bolted it to the radio tray.

IMG_1563.jpgIMG_0496.jpg

ruSSrt

Started it on its own for the first time. Finished grounding harness and put new glow plugs. Started no problem and WAIT light worked as it should. So far no problem with glow plug controller.
Drove around the block and it ran strong. Then changed oil and filter.... got pretty bad wheel hop in the front, assuming its old tires with flat spots. After doing rest of the fluids and filters i'll take it for longer ride.

ruSSrt

You think 10g is sufficient for the starter and alternator grounds?
I been debating about it, because i already had wire, i just needed to buy connector. It solved my problem (as far as i know) but i will be keeping an eye on it check wires to see if they are getting hot next time i start it or drive it around.

Post pic of cable and ends you used Please.
Used regular 10 gauge wire from auto zone, local parts store, connectors are almost the same as what Gear Report posted.

Wire Fox

Reinstalled the clutch fan with Its quick release and tensioned the alternator belts. Also put in the dipstick tube for the transmission. Rest of the trans cooler stuff comes in whenever Mac Motors delivers. Found a large fleet shop that's going to modify both prop shafts for about $110 total, too. Transmission swap is definitely setting up well.

Right now, I'm just laying in the bed of the HMMWV, enjoying that its dry after the all day downpour.

Bravojmc

Cleaned my floor insulation and all I can say is wow!!! If your floor mat/insulation is nasty dirty and your going to replace it, STOP and try this first. I pulled all the mat/insulation out on the ground spray down with the hose, pull out a hard bristle brush and Orange pumice hand cleaner and scrub it down with that really good and POW! Like new!
IMG_7172.jpg

Gear Report

Cleaned my floor insulation and all I can say is wow!!! If your floor mat/insulation is nasty dirty and your going to replace it, STOP and try this first. I pulled all the mat/insulation out on the ground spray down with the hose, pull out a hard bristle brush and Orange pumice hand cleaner and scrub it down with that really good and POW! Like new!
View attachment 672928
Similar here. I shot mine with Purple Power (or whatever it is called), then sprayed with the pressure washer. They don't look new, but they are pretty close, and with no actual scrubbing!
Like you, I was flat out amazed at how much better they looked. Who knew there was green under all of that black and brown?
HMMWV_floor_mat_cleaning.jpg HMMWV_floor_mat_cleaning1.jpg

Gear Report

It was a busy weekend at Gear Report HQ
-Converted the Battlewagon from a 2 man pickup to a 4 man soft top!
-Installed the rear seatbelts
-Pressure washed the floor mats
-Picked up an old Gypsy Rack. Gotta figure out to mount it, as it has no brackets.
-Also stumbled on a Luverne brushguard... also with no mounting brackets.
-Acquired a few Deep Water Fording kits. Debating installing one. Listed one on a popular site already.
-Took out the seats, radio tray, etc to pressure wash the interior. Will prime, coat with both types of LizardSkin, and paint soon.

1987-AM-General-M1038-Humvee-HMMWV-in-Fayetteville-North-Carolina-United-States-IronPlanet-Item-.jpgGear-Report_Project_HMMWV_Battlewagon-6.jpgConvert-2-Man-HMMWV-to-4-man-HMMWV-27-620x250.jpg

http://gear-report.com/humvee-diy-upgrade-convert-2-man-hmmwv-to-4-man-hmmwv

Wire Fox

Successfully registered for road use. Took three phone calls due to some confusion over a new law that took place in Indiana on January 1st (historic military vehicle law). Funny enough, the BMV half-jokingly offered me a job for how well I knew their rules and policies, down to the point of being able to prattle off document numbers and tell them where exactly on those documents they will find specific pieces of information. At one point, they actually asked me what was the next step they needed to do to process it. It was probably the most fun I've had in a BMV in my entire life.

Another Ahab

Successfully registered for road use. Took three phone calls due to some confusion over a new law that took place in Indiana on January 1st (historic military vehicle law). Funny enough, the BMV half-jokingly offered me a job for how well I knew their rules and policies, down to the point of being able to prattle off document numbers and tell them where exactly on those documents they will find specific pieces of information. At one point, they actually asked me what was the next step they needed to do to process it. It was probably the most fun I've had in a BMV in my entire life.
That's a great story, Wire Fox; glad you came out of that smelling like a rose!

What you say is funny, because a buddy of mine I grew up with who became a Navy flight surgeon told me the same thing once about what you ran into there.

He told me how if anybody does the homework and focuses in on all the background material available about any disease (or medical condition), that person can likely be more of an expert than their doctor (general practitioner, anyway).

He says because a doctor has to know a little bit of everything about the whole body and all disease, they don't have the luxury to get into detail of any one part of the "system".

You should offer to be their consultant!

Wire Fox

That's a great story, Wire Fox; glad you came out of that smelling like a rose!

What you say is funny, because a buddy of mine I grew up with who became a Navy flight surgeon told me the same thing once about what you ran into there.

He told me how if anybody does the homework and focuses in on all the background material available about any disease (or medical condition), that person can likely be more of an expert than their doctor (general practitioner, anyway).

He says because a doctor has to know a little bit of everything about the whole body and all disease, they don't have the luxury to get into detail of any one part of the "system".

You should offer to be their consultant!
Now that's a plan, if I've ever heard one. At the least, I'm going to be sharing information with the IN MVPA about current confusion the BMV has about their new laws to see if we can get anything pushed at an official level to have it clarified statewide. Get a little. Give back a little.

ruSSrt

Congratulations!

ruSSrt

20170330_144352.jpg20170330_144434.jpg20170330_144450.jpg

Drained tranny today and was surprised. Decided to pull the pan and was shocked!!!
Fluid came out clear without any dirt or shavings. looked like it was changed last week. Once pulled the pan, no shavings, sludge or dirt found. Gasket looks new, magnets almost clean. I really hope i lucked out with my truck.
I ordered a new filter anyway. So as soon that will come in i'll replace it and refill the tranny. SUper happy to discover that.

Another Ahab

View attachment 673403

Drained tranny today and was surprised. Decided to pull the pan and was shocked!!!
Fluid came out clear without any dirt or shavings. looked like it was changed last week. Once pulled the pan, no shavings, sludge or dirt found. Gasket looks new, magnets almost clean. I really hope i lucked out with my truck.
I ordered a new filter anyway. So as soon that will come in i'll replace it and refill the tranny. SUper happy to discover that.
Glad to read a story about a success instead of a typical disaster. But of course if things go right, nobody feels a need to post it.

Because if it's right then you're out enjoying your MV (instead of posting "What's the problem?!").

Wire Fox

I fixed a dumb mistake I made with setting up the linkages on the transfercase and it looks like mine is going to be just fine. Offers self a small round of a applause.

After that, I decided to sit in my HMMWV during an absolute downpour to see where it leaked. Naturally, water comes in through the vinyl window that has a large hole in it, but aside from that, it seemed like the only major spot was the grommet that that washer fluid pump wires pass through. That grommet is way undersized for the hole-despite being what came with the original pump. So, I either need to find a larger grommet or use some RTV to seal it in. ...or I could just let rain literally pour in on top of my foot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks