• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

ruSSrt

View attachment 673637View attachment 673638View attachment 673639View attachment 673640View attachment 673641View attachment 673642View attachment 673643Prep, primer, LizardSkin Sound Control, installed rear doors, swapped rear seat bases onto high back seats. It was a busy day for the Battlewagon.
Back at it tomorrow with LizardSkin Ceramic Coating.
i'm slowly researching in to doing what you did with lizard skin. And i'm wondering why you choose that product over other stuff that is out there? (cheaper stuff on Amazon or spray on truck bed liners)

do you also prime it before doing lizard skin?

85 USMC M998

Last edited:

Action

Also you will need female packard fitting to put on the factory existing ground wire that's got a grounding eyelet.
View attachment 673619
The ground wire does not plug into that blackout light in your pic.. That is a headlight with high and low beam. That is what the two plugs on the back are. That lamp is ground via the mounting stud. You can remove the front cover and find a regular lamp inside with 3 connections on it.

Bravojmc

The ground wire does not plug into that blackout light in your pic.. That is a headlight with high and low beam. That is what the two plugs on the back are. That lamp is ground via the mounting stud. You can remove the front cover and find a regular lamp inside with 3 connections on it.
im using this light as high beam only.

Bravojmc

Sorry my post is confusing after reading it. I just did this.

IMG_7204.jpg

ruSSrt

u-Box 7inch LED Hi/Lo Chrome Offroad Headlights for 97-17 Jeep Wrangler TJ JK & Wran... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZEP7AG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_uOh4ybTRG8WJQ

It was not Plug-in-Play, not much work but worth it.

I purchased the packard connectors from Big Mikes https://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/collections/m35a2-parts/military-wire-connectors-and-terminals
Thank you very much for the links!!!

So pretty much any 1997-2017 jeep wrangler light will fit us? just need to work on mounting and wiring them?

Gear Report

i'm slowly researching in to doing what you did with lizard skin. And i'm wondering why you choose that product over other stuff that is out there? (cheaper stuff on Amazon or spray on truck bed liners)
do you also prime it before doing lizard skin?
Why LizardSkin? 3 reasons:
1) They make specialized products for sound and heat control. HMMWVs have both issues.
2) LizardSkin is being installed as part of a review. The products were sent for the review. We will also apply some DynaMat, probably to the bottom of the bigger panels, after we have used the LizardSkin for a while.
3) Because truck bed liner is only appropriate for truck BEDS, not the passenger area. I realize a LOT of people do it anyway, but bed liner produces toxic gasses when heated, and continues to do so long after it is cured. I've lost too many brain cells already. Not willing to sacrifice any more. :) I will probably spray bed liner, but only in the aft truck bed portion. Definitely not in the passenger area.

Not sure what "cheaper stuff on Amazon" you are referring to. I don't see anything similar to LizardSkin there. I do see some adhesive insulation panels like DynaMat.

Prime first? Yep. I'm told that clean CARC is very good as a primer layer. However, I had so much visible metal in the truck bed area that just shot the whole thing with etching primer, after HOURS of prep to remove flaking paint and other stuff.

I'll post a step by step overview of the LizardSkin process soon, and a full review video after I've used it a while. :)

Last edited:

85 USMC M998

He got the ones I reviewed... http://gear-report.com/humvee-upgrade-hmmwv-led-headlights
There are a couple of other options listed in the article.
:)
Correct. I have an early M998 with the old style "dish" which caused some slight interference issues. I was able to "crimp" the flange on the driver side with the dish in the vehicle however that didn't work for the passengers side; I had to remove it and take a ball peen hammer to it. Basically I had to make the diameter slightly larger.

Gear Report did a great review.

Last edited:

Gear Report

Food for thought. If you spray any kind of bed liner in your truck and decide to sell it , it will not make it worth more to a collector.
So keep that in mind.
Not concerned at all. There are far more HMMWVs than there are collectors that want one in original condition. Far more consumers that would be interested in a truck that is more user friendly.

3jacks

First hmmwv

Got my first M998 home and immediately started changing all fluids and filters. Oil change...15 minutes tops right?

never in my life have I seen an oil filter this seized to a block or adapter. This is what it looked like after taking an air chisel to the filter collar. Ended up removing the adapter and torching it.

new grounding harness, fluids and filters and she purrs like a kitten.

Attachments

orgnal

Got my first M998 home and immediately started changing all fluids and filters. Oil change...15 minutes tops right?

never in my life have I seen an oil filter this seized to a block or adapter. This is what it looked like after taking an air chisel to the filter collar. Ended up removing the adapter and torching it.

new grounding harness, fluids and filters and she purrs like a kitten.
Congratulations !!! Keep the updates coming !

McReddy

Wire Fox

A box full of scrap HMMWV mirrors came in Monday, so I fiddled around and picked out two straight arms, two good locking studs, the nicest angle brackets, and my two good mirrors. $30 isn't a bad price to pay to get a box full of parts that allows me to take my two bent up mirrors and build two good ones and then have enough parts to spare to assemble one more. I just have to dig out my temporarily missing top-right bracket and get some fresh grade 5 bolts and the mirrors will be a wrap until I'm ready for paint!

Also had the handsets come in for my GRA-39B, so that was fun getting to play with those after we've literally had the local unit sitting around for 10 years, never knowing if it actually worked. This will eventually get put to use as a way to remotely trigger the radios that will be in my HMMWV while out camping, and will also make for great fun as clunky field phones. I'll probably not need them at all with a properly configured VIC-1, but the right deal came along for a remote unit and had to see if our old local unit actually worked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks