• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Gear Report

I love the included toupee. Very lifelike. You almost don't notice it.;-)
lol. I was wondering who the first person to mention that would be. :)
I got that lambs wool pad in Turkey a couple of decades ago while on a Europe & Middle East deployment. Back then it was just a pad to make the headset more comfortable, as there was still plenty of hair up there.
Now, it is a dual purpose accessory.

ruSSrt

drained all the coolant today, replaced thermostat. Removed and cleaned out overflow reservoir. Replaced all coolant with distilled water to run it a bit and realized that that i completely drained my batteries by forgetting to turn my BO light. Charging batteries today/tonight, will run it tomorrow and make sure i dont get nay leaks.20170405_180804.jpg20170405_180832.jpg

Last edited:

sully199

drained all the coolant today, replaced thermostat. Removed and cleaned out overflow reservoir. Replaced all coolant with distilled water to run it a bit and realized that that i completely drained my batteries by forgetting to turn my BO light. Charging batteries today/tonight, will run it tomorrow and make sure i dont get nay leaks.View attachment 674232View attachment 674233
these batteries are expensive, I would first attempt to charge them up. See if they will hold a charge

NormB

Been out of town for a week, then worked, worked some more, first day off I've had to work on my truck.

Replaced oil dipstick tube (ch. 3-2, TM 9-2320-280-2).

Because it was leaking at the oil pain.

That's Freudian...

Anyway, oil pan. Took a CLOSE look and someone had wrapped self-adhering silicone tape around the joint and it had pretty much dissolved.

Dissassembled everything including getting out that one obnoxious manifold bolt, cleaning threads and finding out, there's no o-ring on the tube.

Huh? I can imagine PFC Snuffy hearing the CO say fix that drip and PFC Snuffy, wanting to get out of the motor pool RFN (that's RFQ for my friends south and east of the Potomac) 'cause it's late Friday afternoon
just takes a two inch piece of silicone tape to the joint, pulls the truck outside for the CO, who, happy with the job says GTFO of here private, it's Friday. Snuffy grabs a can of grape soda and a marlboro and didi mao's out of there, never looking back. I mean, why bother fixing it right when the HMMWVs are all due to be turned in for
disposition/sales soon anyway, right?

I'd ordered an o-ring months ago from Kascar which took several minutes to find in my stuff, and I'm glad I printed out/read the manual. I'd wondered if you could put on RTV at the joint for extra insurance.

Why yes, yes you can. Bolted everything back together including removing an adel clamp from the rocker cover and attaching it to the arm of the dipstick tube where it belonged.

Now it sits for 24 hours' insurance, then I'll put in some cooling system cleaner, run it around a bit, drain oil and cooling system, change some hoses, and that'll be most of Saturday/Sunday. I'd bought a dual oil-filter setup and it REALLY looks deceptively easy with the crow's foot wrench I bought. If not, it'll sit until next week when I get more free time.

ruSSrt

these batteries are expensive, I would first attempt to charge them up. See if they will hold a charge
i had to buy new batteries for it. Old ones were not able to hold charge and were pretty old. Although i did charge my batteries, it turned out to be totally different problem. My shifter was not all the way in N so it didnt want to start and i didnt catch it right away. SO i started it no problem after moving shifter a bit...........

Second time i wa snot able to start it though.....

NormB

Drained coolant. Added prestone cleaner, ran engine for a bit then drained oil, changed filter.

Ran engine for another hour, drove for an hour, idled a little more. Will take it out tomorrow to drain/change fluids AND remaining hoses (did heater hoses when I fixed the heater months ago).

Dipstick tube still leaks. I think. Might be the drain plug gasket it was oozing a litle right after I installed it. 20 ft-lbs, but I'll cinch it up a hair tomorrow.

Tried removing the oil filter housing to install the dual filter setup. No dice, even moving the front driveshaft hanger. Crowsfoot wrench, two foot breaker and couldn't get enough torque onto it to break free. Now to buy a 35mm socket and look forward to next oil change.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drained coolant. Added prestone cleaner, ran engine for a bit then drained oil, changed filter.

Ran engine for another hour, drove for an hour, idled a little more. Will take it out tomorrow to drain/change fluids AND remaining hoses (did heater hoses when I fixed the heater months ago).

Dipstick tube still leaks. I think. Might be the drain plug gasket it was oozing a litle right after I installed it. 20 ft-lbs, but I'll cinch it up a hair tomorrow.

Tried removing the oil filter housing to install the dual filter setup. No dice, even moving the front driveshaft hanger. Crowsfoot wrench, two foot breaker and couldn't get enough torque onto it to break free. Now to buy a 35mm socket and look forward to next oil change.

What does the 35mm hold?

NormB

What does the 35mm hold?
D'oh! Meant 1-3/8. That popped up from someone else's post. 1-3/8 actually fits. Would probably need to get an impact tool up there, or use my FOUR foot breaker bar extension (the one I used to assemble FN-FALs way back when).

infidel got me

tag6.jpgtag5.jpgtag4.jpgtag6.jpg Ok boys here it is no drill tag holder. Real simple, 2 bolts under your taillight housing-- 7/16 bolt heads the bolts are on the cover that protects tour taillight wiring it's a mini- c channel piece-- unscrew-- add metal to hold tag(tractors supply) and there you go..... no holes tag holder... you can add a tag light if you want, simple enough as its right by taillight//// dummy cost about $8 and you have enough metal to do 4 or 5 Humvees= profit margin

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 674526View attachment 674527View attachment 674528View attachment 674526 Ok boys here it is no drill tag holder. Real simple, 2 bolts under your taillight housing-- 7/16 bolt heads the bolts are on the cover that protects tour taillight wiring it's a mini- c channel piece-- unscrew-- add metal to hold tag(tractors supply) and there you go..... no holes tag holder... you can add a tag light if you want, simple enough as its right by taillight//// dummy cost about $8 and you have enough metal to do 4 or 5 Humvees= profit margin
Works great with trailers also. Same thing I Do on M101/m105's I flip

Wire Fox

View attachment 674526View attachment 674527View attachment 674528View attachment 674526 Ok boys here it is no drill tag holder. Real simple, 2 bolts under your taillight housing-- 7/16 bolt heads the bolts are on the cover that protects tour taillight wiring it's a mini- c channel piece-- unscrew-- add metal to hold tag(tractors supply) and there you go..... no holes tag holder... you can add a tag light if you want, simple enough as its right by taillight//// dummy cost about $8 and you have enough metal to do 4 or 5 Humvees= profit margin
I'll be using that idea, thank you. It's pretty much in line with what I was going to do once the transmission install was finished up, but I do appreciate having a plan laid out for me.

Carrera911

Painted the brush guard on a truck I'm getting ready for sale. Ground off the rust and loose paint with a grinder/ wire wheel. Then I used the Behr 383 green I had from my stereo project cut with a little water. Sprayed through a cheapie HVLP gun at 100 psi, yes 100 is what it takes to spray a good amount of material.
Before
IMG_3170[1].jpg
After
IMG_3174[1].jpg
Also touched up a large red dot someone sprayed on the body and it blended well but shows how much the paint has faded in 20 years.

Another Ahab

Painted the brush guard on a truck I'm getting ready for sale. Ground off the rust and loose paint with a grinder/ wire wheel. Then I used the Behr 383 green I had from my stereo project cut with a little water. Sprayed through a cheapie HVLP gun at 100 psi, yes 100 is what it takes to spray a good amount of material.
That cleaned up real nice.

3jacks

Took out the interior to begin prep for lizard skin and cleaned out what I swear was 100 lbs of dirt and enough loose nuts, washers and bolts to fill my local hardware store shelves. When I was in the army I don't remember carrying around a lot of coinage...but there was a solid $4 bucks in change buried in the gunk and at least 10 snickers bars wrappers. Definitely a NG unit. 4 or 5 unfired 5.56 blanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks