• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would it help the HMMWV crowd to know that in my recent discussions, the CHIEF OF TITLING with the TxDMV (Texas Department of Motor Vehicles) is now VERY INTERESTED in personally owning a HMMWV for himself and his family to use on a ranch near Sanderson, Texas. Seems he recently got his newly purchased FORD RAPTOR 4WD civilian pick up stuck out there - think: MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, TEXAS - and had to call a nearby rancher with a Military 6x6 for recovery assistance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanderson,_Texas

Sanderson, Texas.PNG Population: 837

His recent education on FMV's (Former Military Vehicles) has made him an advocate for the hobby with a particular interest in having an HMMWV. Might even call him a "friend in high places" with regard to the whole OFF-ROAD restriction (il)legality, etc.

He now understands that HMMWV's were indeed designed for the MILITARY TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM (aka: Interstate Highways) which inherently makes them legitimately ROAD-USE-PURPOSED, and that they also happen to have been designed with extraordinary off-road capability - not the other way around. Had they not been designed for use on the Interstate Highways, they would have never met the fundamental design requirements of the Department of Defense's design specifications that they be compatible with "high speed" re-positioning via the Defense Transportation System's roadways.

There is, therefore, hope that the State of Texas may no longer restrict HMMWV's to off-road use only even if Uncle Sam might have stipulated that on their release paperwork. Essentially, when a vehicle is TITLED in Texas, it's a 100% ownership deal unless there is a LIEN HOLDER specified on the Title. Uncle Sam released the vehicle to a new owner... Hence, he is NOT a Lien Holder, but simply the seller (through a contracted auction house) and retains ABSOLUTELY NO SAY-SO into how the VEHICLE is later put to use, Titled, or Registered.

VERY INTERESTING ! ! !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM

Last edited:

Bravojmc

Adjusted hidges on the hood today and restored my hood latches with new rubber dog bones and installed new rubber isolators for the hood! Hoods lined up and doesn't squeak anymore. Happy man!

DLJIII

My buddy and I changed all four half axles from original 7k to 10k.

We changed the original alternator to the 24-12v 200amp alternator upgrade.

I made a deep water fording snorkel for like $11 and a grille guard mimicking the USMC style but not as long or bulky.

I made the exhaust half of the fording kit and skipped the protective screen.
I found if you are actually moving the pipe doesnt get very hot much less able to burn someone getting out of the rear seat.
Plus, I dont plan to leave my truck idling long enough to become dangerously hot.

I cleaned out the battery box, bought new terminal connections, new cable, rewired the box and painted it.
I bought driving lights to mount in the bumper, bumper pads, put the original refurbished shackles back on, IR lights and a few other small goodies.
Plus, the 100w speaker mounted inside of the grille so I can yelp deer and horn stupid traffic as needed.

I sold the doors, cargo cover, original mirror mounts and will sell the crew cover including rails and bows soon.
I plan to fabricate my own C and D pillar to support a heavy metal homemade extra long hardtop.
Plus, I have been working on creating my own doors.
So, a lot of work and money has gone into mechanical repairs and far far less money into extras and the things everyone else pays out the nose for.

ruSSrt

With a buddy around, you can get that one done lightning fast. I'm pretty sure that was the first thing I did on my HMMWV and it only took 10 minutes with my buddy there to start the bolts while I lined up the box. Cleaned the cable contacts, applied a small amount of dielectric to protect the contacts, a small about of anti-seize to the threads to allow it to come off again easily, and used a good teflon-based, high temperature pipe sealing compound for the TSU. I couldn't really ask for a more smooth-operating install. Don't forget to at least resistance check those glow plugs to ensure they're still top-tier and won't damage your nice, new S3.
Although i changed my plugs less than a month ago and only maybe started my humvee hand full of times on them. You think it would have damaged them? my old box was starting it normally, when it was starting.....

Wire Fox

Although i changed my plugs less than a month ago and only maybe started my humvee hand full of times on them. You think it would have damaged them? my old box was starting it normally, when it was starting.....
I'm of the camp that thinks it won't hurt to pop off the glow plug wires and do a quick check with an ohmmeter just to be sure they're in tolerance before putting on a high dollar S3, but a month isn't a very long time. If your old starting control box wasn't defective and you're just going for a pre-emptive upgrade, I'd think you should be fine.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

My buddy and I changed all four half axles from original 7k to 10k.

We changed the original alternator to the 24-12v 200amp alternator upgrade.

I made a deep water fording snorkel for like $11 and a grille guard mimicking the USMC style but not as long or bulky.

I made the exhaust half of the fording kit and skipped the protective screen.
I found if you are actually moving the pipe doesnt get very hot much less able to burn someone getting out of the rear seat.
Plus, I dont plan to leave my truck idling long enough to become dangerously hot.

I cleaned out the battery box, bought new terminal connections, new cable, rewired the box and painted it.
I bought driving lights to mount in the bumper, bumper pads, put the original refurbished shackles back on, IR lights and a few other small goodies.
Plus, the 100w speaker mounted inside of the grille so I can yelp deer and horn stupid traffic as needed.

I sold the doors, cargo cover, original mirror mounts and will sell the crew cover including rails and bows soon.
I plan to fabricate my own C and D pillar to support a heavy metal homemade extra long hardtop.
Plus, I have been working on creating my own doors.
So, a lot of work and money has gone into mechanical repairs and far far less money into extras and the things everyone else pays out the nose for.
As a heads-up, upload those images directly to this site next time. I can't access any imgur/most outside image sites from work and I'm excited to see what you did, plus those outside images site always delete the images at some point, leaving readers 1 or more years later with a post lacking essential images.

Lawdog734

anyway to get a pic of your tire carrier?
I'm not in front of the truck at the moment, but it's the standard GMV tire carrier that were handbuilt before companies like MSG started making them. Here's a pic I took of an active truck not long ago - it's this exact mount.

20160629_142826_zps7xdzexoz.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks