• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Wire Fox

I was planning to post pictures of my propeller shafts installed, but that didn't work out. Turns out, the shafts I had modified were delivered to me with the wrong lengths. They physically link up, but there's no tolerance in their slip yokes for even the most mild driving. I want to check their work, but lost my original numbers. Could someone with an A1 HMMWV in original configuration please go measure their mid-shaft and the rear shaft? A measurement of u-joint center to u-joint center should do it, then I can compare it against my own and what I had ordered them to do and see if it was my fault or their fault.

In good news, I was able to get my 12V alternator lead fished through its conduit. I'll be posting up pictures of it this weekend when I've got it taped, the connectors crimped, and everything final. I broke from what the manual seemed to indicate (using a spiral loom? Kinda silly for a single lead.) and copied the design of the upgraded 24V, 200A cable since it's the exact same routing: 8AWG wire in asphalt-coated fabric loom. The wire is fully-tinned, marine-grade wire that will have to go through **** in order to fail.

infidel got me

back.jpg Guys after thinking this through, I think I will leave this set-up the way it is. My reason for this is if I install the troop seats I will create a big blind spot . You can sit on the wheel wells as is. I'm waiting on my netting to finish it off. I think it came out good and like the look. I did make another bar for the front, but the 4 pm monsoon ran me off. Will post last pic when netting shows...

Last edited:

General Hood

View attachment 683177 Guys after thinking this through, I think I will leave this set-up the way it is. My reason for this is if I install the troop seats I will create a big blind spot . You can sit on the wheel wells as is. I'm waiting on my netting to finish it off. I think it came out good and like the look. I did make another bar for the front, but the 4 pm monsoon ran me off. Will post last pic when netting shows...
I have poor memory retention, is this your keeper HMMWV or one you are putting on the market? It looks good sir

shawnshumvee

Took her to a car show! Entered her in the Greasy Grumpy Green category :)
Bulldogger
View attachment 683294

Truck does look good! good body can't see any cracks or any blemishes. Which means it's a perfect candidate for my "Sweet TIP!" So, Want it to look even better? I'm going to pass on a tip that was given to me. I don't know if any of your guys know about this tip but if you really want to bring the Humvee's colors back to life (almost like the day she was new) try this...

1. baby oil
2. a nice brush (not too course)
3. clean rag ( to wipe it all down and into uniformly)

Just rub the baby oil (using the brush) in a circular motion all over your Humvee (much like waxing your car) Do manageable section at a time and use the rag to blend and wipe up any extra oil.

I tried it and it turned out GREAT! The colors look new and really have depth.

Wire Fox

I had started to remove the intake a few days ago, but hit an issue with a jammed bracket that required me to stop for the night. Despite my best efforts to make sure everything was sealed, I was certain that the downpour of rain that occurred shortly after got into the engine, so I removed all of the glow plugs, disconnected the fuel solenoid, and cranked the engine around. Sure enough, I had a high pressure, double-barreled super soaker. Glad I went for the "better safe than sorry" approach. Either way, the job continues so that I can remove and rebuild the injection pump, install a TPS, and set everything back as it was. I will be making sure I mark exact orientation of this pump before it comes out, because I really don't want to play with timing if I don't have to.

WP_20170603_20_29_00_Pro_LI.jpg [No shots of it all the ports taped up, but they certainly are right now.]

shawnshumvee

wired up my antennas and they are working! one antenna runs to the CB and the other runs to the radio. I'm getting more radio stations than my Jeep with a stock antenna. Moreover, my wrangler has a 4' fiberglass antenna and it woks good but the humvee gets out farther the that. so that tells me they are working to some degree.
IMG_2974.jpgIMG_2976.jpgIMG_2978.jpg

General Hood

wired up my antennas and they are working! one antenna runs to the CB and the other runs to the radio. I'm getting more radio stations than my Jeep with a stock antenna. Moreover, my wrangler has a 4' fiberglass antenna and it woks good but the humvee gets out farther the that. so that tells me they are working to some degree.
View attachment 683442View attachment 683443View attachment 683444

Looks great. Is that a German Shepherd Dog in front of your vehicle? I'm partial to GSDs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks