• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Gear Report

Replaced the speedo cable in the Battlewagon yesterday. The needle bounced around+-3mph since I got the truck. Cable snapped a couple of weeks ago. Got a new one for cheap. Now the needle is rock solid.

Then took my 14 yr old son for his first ever driving experience. He will take driver's Ed at the end of this summer. So... Not legal to let him drive on the road yet. Took him to a friend's farm and let him drive the HMMWV around the dirt path around one of the fields. He did great! Only one incident where he faded right a bit and a tree limb folded in the passenger side mirror. HMMWVs are so wide that most people fade right too much when they start driving them. No corn, baby trees or shrubbery were harmed.

Given that civilians have only been able to buy HMMWVs in any sort of numbers for a few years, I would bet he is one of VERY few that can truthfully say that the very first car they drove was a HMMWV. :)Randall_first_drive_HMMWV.jpgRandall_first_drive_HMMWV1.jpgRandall_first_drive_HMMWV2.jpgRandall_first_drive_HMMWV3.jpgRandall_first_drive_HMMWV5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmljohnson

59F20B83-3BDE-41BA-B7F2-E88CA106A660.jpg

Changing out bearing, seal and servicing geared hubs today, mines seams started leaking yesterday...and the way it look, I think they put in the seal the wrong way......is the spring side suppose to be towards the hub? This is how it look when I pull the axle out...bearing and race have to come out...

NormB

Busy couple of days. replaced fuel tank and rear propeller shaft yesterday. Muffler was Saturday.

Today, took fuel filter off, finished replacing all fuel lines, then did the part I haven't been looking forward to: bleeding the fuel lines.

I poured ten gallons of diesel into the tank while I was finished up with the filter - it was WAY past time for replacement, I think, judging from the "stuff" that came out of it, scant residue downstream of it (usual varnish on aluminum you expect), water separator looked fine, but I'd already blown what, $12 for a new one, so the old one's a "spare."

Had to go down to local ACE to buy a washer for the air bleeder screw - Viton - then got home and pressurized the tank. For about ten minutes. Nothing was coming out of the vent, so I went to my backup - vacuum brake bleeder - and magic happened. Fuel, no bubbles. Put bleeder screw on, grabbed fire extinguisher (Halon), started engine.

Ran for about ten seconds and died. Not good, but tried again.

Bingo. Missed for a few seconds, then smoothed out nicely.

After pouring enough diesel fumes into the garage and lord knows how much carbon monoxide, I drove the truck out of garage just onto the driveway where I let it sit with the hood open to warm up, checked for leaks.

Little ATF from the power steering fluid line up by transmission to T/C cooler, threw another hose clamp on it, then took it for a spin.

THE NP242 was worth the time, trouble, expense,

SMOOTH. MUCH quieter.

Backed into the garage again, drained transmission fluid. Filter change tomorrow and fresh fluid.

Fun stuff. Still need to close up fuel tank sender access panel, couple of other details, then on to draining/filling hubs and differentials and actually drive the thing for a bit instead of just working on getting it road-worthy.

Now to find someone to take the NP 218 and propeller shafters (rear and intermediate only, forward was reused).

I'll post over on "paying it forward" shortly.

By the way, 86Humv is THE MAN. Got the right parts from him. Had my doubts about the driveshafts when I first got 'em - was a little skeptical that they'd fit - but it's all good.

Mario

Replaced the speedo cable in the Battlewagon yesterday. The needle bounced around+-3mph since I got the truck. Cable snapped a couple of weeks ago. Got a new one for cheap. Now the needle is rock solid.

Then took my 14 yr old son for his first ever driving experience. He will take driver's Ed at the end of this summer. So... Not legal to let him drive on the road yet. Took him to a friend's farm and let him drive the HMMWV around the dirt path around one of the fields. He did great! Only one incident where he faded right a bit and a tree limb folded in the passenger side mirror. HMMWVs are so wide that most people fade right too much when they start driving them. No corn, baby trees or shrubbery were harmed.

Given that civilians have only been able to buy HMMWVs in any sort of numbers for a few years, I would bet he is one of VERY few that can truthfully say that the very first car they drove was a HMMWV. :)View attachment 683613View attachment 683614View attachment 683615View attachment 683616View attachment 683617
They grow up fast, don't they?

Here is my 11yo few months ago -- she will NOT stop bugging me about taking her for another drive

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some 3D Printing

I designed and printed this for my HMMWV to replace a lost item that she came without.
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Bulldogger

Attachments

jeffy777

I designed and printed this for my HMMWV to replace a lost item that she came without.
Bulldogger
Not to be a complainer. You designed and printed a part and you are now asking what it is? (Electronic Space Modulator is my guess.) Where on the HMMWV was the item that was not on the HMMWV that you are replacing?

Or is this a test to see how dumb I am? The answer is VERY. :)

Gear Report

Bulldogger
It is the seating area for the vomitron... I mean, the tea cup ride at Disney... although, you forgot to put in a door. Also, I'm having trouble envisioning how it mounts on the HMMWV. In the truck bed, I'm guessing. ;)

If not that, then I'm drawing a blank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks