• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Wire Fox

Odds and ends today. Replaced the rubber locking cleat thing for the engine cover, played with the ground harness some more (ran into some trouble with rivnuts spinning on the S3, causing the job to get hung up), drilled the large hole for the TCM cabling, and put my CDR tube on the oil fill neck back in place. Nothing riveting (except the rivets), but some days will continue to just be small progress.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wire Fox

...and now, a break from a lot of crawling around. I thought for a bit about just where I wanted what wires to go and how to route around existing trouble spots (eg: the exhaust) and think I've got it figured out. I grabbed an A2 wiring schematic, some thin rope, my label maker, a tape measure, and a paper & pencil for notes. Effectively, I've traced the existing wiring harness wherever possible and planned out the shortest paths I could to get to get from each sensor to the TCM & switched power. I think I've got a good idea now just exactly what lengths of wires I need to cut and should be able to form wire bundles so I know how much insulation to buy of what sizes... I'm not a fan of split or spiral loom, so that means I have to put the wire through all my looms before I crimp on connectors. This should prove an interesting challenge as I've never done one of this scale before...

Attachments

NormB

Drove up to PA a couple days ago to pick up an airlift bumper and a spare tire (and some mudflaps) from a guy name of Jim who sells on the evil auction site as jww8161.
Got a good (well, GREAT) deal on the parts. I'd picked up a Rhino spare carrier last weekend from Lionel (thanks) and spent a couple hours stripping, refinishing - just did some touch up to the bumper - wheel too, should have some time in the morning tomorrow or Sunday when it's cooler to put all this on the truck.
IMG_0328.jpgIMG_0327.jpgIMG_0329.jpgIMG_0330.jpgIMG_0331.jpg

Another Ahab

Drove up to PA a couple days ago to pick up an airlift bumper and a spare tire (and some mudflaps) from a guy name of Jim who sells on the evil auction site as jww8161.
Got a good (well, GREAT) deal on the parts. I'd picked up a Rhino spare carrier last weekend from Lionel (thanks) and spent a couple hours stripping, refinishing - just did some touch up to the bumper - wheel too, should have some time in the morning tomorrow or Sunday when it's cooler to put all this on the truck.
That's nice heavy gauge hardware, aftermarket I'm guessing?

And what's the "evil auction site", eBay?

NormB

That's nice heavy gauge hardware, aftermarket I'm guessing?
And what's the "evil auction site", eBay?
Nope, all stock. Took a while to strip and refinish, but I think it'll hold up.

I think the side shackles were rubber-coated or something.

I usually avoid mention of "that site" to avoid overzealous moderators whose sole mission in life is to root out and delete any such references. A little left-handed, I admit.

3jacks

That rig of yours is looking real good. [thumbzup]

Is it your daily driver?
Thanks, I love working on these things. It's addicting. Not A daily driver, yet...but once it gets painted she might. Interior is almost complete. Hoping to have my xdoors refurbished in a few weeks. A local custom body shop is going to paint the rig for me. End of July I'm hoping to have it all done.

FKAM

Added a power cut off to the radio deck. I now have a single switch that will cut power and a easy disconnect of the power cord so I can remove the radio deck easily to get to the dog house. My deck won't tilt back enough to access it.

DSC00657reduced.jpg

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added a power cut off to the radio deck. I now have a single switch that will cut power and a easy disconnect of the power cord so I can remove the radio deck easily to get to the dog house. My deck won't tilt back enough to access it.

View attachment 686563
May I ask where you got one? I am hunting for one with no luck.American Mil-Spec is out and I saw a few sell on epay earlier in the year that I missed.....

Last edited:

FKAM

May I ask where you got one? I am hunting for one with no luck.American Mil-Spec is out and I saw a few sell on epay earlier in the year that I missed.....
Got them on epay. They had two and I quickly grabbed them even tho they were pretty pricey. I have never seen these offered before or since anywhere so I decided not to hesitate. Probably the ones you were looking at too. I see ones that have the 5 pin connections around, like are on the MX-7777's but I liked these having the standard 4-pin. A lot easier to cable up.

NormB

Airlift bumper's on - solid - 90 ft-lb torque on some of those bolts was a chore. Got RICO tire carrier up today. Waiting for a set of mudflaps sometime this week. Also need to make up another wire leash for the safety pin lock. Have parts, ran into a bit of a time crunch.

IMG_0335.jpg
IMG_0336.jpg

Also extended the license plate. Fabricated a 1/8" extension out of some aluminum sheet I had on hand (vise, scrap of 2x4 and a 2" dead blow hammer), drilled a couple of holes and fitted it to the body (I'd used 1/4-20 rivnuts before, decided to use them again) temporarily. Sanded, primed, hit with some flat-black, will attach on Tuesday and head out to Mission BBQ for some lunch, I think.

IMG_0337.jpgIMG_0338.jpgIMG_0339.jpg

3jacks

What are you using as a stripper, just some commercial gel kind of product?
Aircraft stripper made for fiberglass. It's a gel and works really well and neutralizes with water. There was an enormous amount of paint on the doors. Takes at least 2 rounds of stripping and scraping. Next will be a coat of resin with kitty hair, sand then probably some light bondo work.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got them on epay. They had two and I quickly grabbed them even tho they were pretty pricey. I have never seen these offered before or since anywhere so I decided not to hesitate. Probably the ones you were looking at too. I see ones that have the 5 pin connections around, like are on the MX-7777's but I liked these having the standard 4-pin. A lot easier to cable up.
Bingo! Yeah the 5 pin does not work for me as I am doing the same thing as you. If you ever want to sell the other one, Please keep me in mind!
American Mil-Spec has them on the website but out of stock.

FKAM

Bingo! Yeah the 5 pin does not work for me as I am doing the same thing as you. If you ever want to sell the other one, Please keep me in mind!
American Mil-Spec has them on the website but out of stock.
Will keep you in mind, but for now, the other one has a home on my second radio stack I'm currently building. Thanx for the lead to American Mil-Spec.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks