• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added a power cut off to the radio deck. I now have a single switch that will cut power and a easy disconnect of the power cord so I can remove the radio deck easily to get to the dog house. My deck won't tilt back enough to access it.

View attachment 686563
Nice box.
Can probably make something similar.
One thing ....if you disconnect it , the contacts will still be hot.

ohiohmmwv

Odds and ends today. Replaced the rubber locking cleat thing for the engine cover, played with the ground harness some more (ran into some trouble with rivnuts spinning on the S3, causing the job to get hung up), drilled the large hole for the TCM cabling, and put my CDR tube on the oil fill neck back in place. Nothing riveting (except the rivets), but some days will continue to just be small progress.
Did you use the factory size hole and grommet for the tcm hole you drilled in the tunnel? I'm trying to get part number on it and size of hole I need to drill.

Wire Fox

Did you use the factory size hole and grommet for the tcm hole you drilled in the tunnel? I'm trying to get part number on it and size of hole I need to drill.
Yes, yes I did! The hole drilled is 2 3/8". Had to buy a bimetal hole saw just for this one job, then file it down once cut. I also used the factory grommet. I can't recall the number off the top of my head, but I can say that I only found it in the parts manual for the ECV (I think that is a 387 TM?). You'll find it where they show the breakdown of the wiring harness and all its connectors. I had to order it from MacMotors, but I bet HPG could get it if you called.

NormB

Go to real4wd (kascar) and look for "grommet". Somewhere down the five page list you'll see a variety of grommets that get held in place with the split metal retainer (part #[h=4]AM General 12338092 Heater Harness Retainer 809223 NSN 2590-00-454-3620), just take your pic of the grommet (single, dual, quad) hole you think will work.[/h]
Look for that part in the parts manuals and you'll see it's used in several places on wiring harnesses, NBC gear, antenna wiring.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
saturn surplus had some of those in mixed bags of radio/antenna hardware on epay. I bought several bags and very pleased with the hardware, loom clamps and grommets included.

They have pictures of the assortments posted. Bet you can find one with several split rings and grommets.

Last edited:

General Hood

Added a power cut off to the radio deck. I now have a single switch that will cut power and a easy disconnect of the power cord so I can remove the radio deck easily to get to the dog house. My deck won't tilt back enough to access it.

View attachment 686563
FKAM
Looking at your photo attachment, what did you use to pin your radio deck to the bottom brackets? Is that some sort of quick disconnect locking pin?

FKAM

FKAM
Looking at your photo attachment, what did you use to pin your radio deck to the bottom brackets? Is that some sort of quick disconnect locking pin?

Yes sir it is.

I never have liked the design of the radio decks when it comes to accessing the dog house to work on the engine. So I used some quick connect pins on the legs and thumb screws on the upper mount.

DSC00649postable.jpg

I originally used locks but the diameter of the shanks was too small and the deck rattled and I hate rattling. I still have the lock for when I want to leave things secured. It is keyed the same as my steering wheel lock.

I'm still trying to learn everything about the drive train so I'm always wanting to get into the engine area.

Last edited:

NormB

Since I did something structural/functional last week (airlift bumper, spare tire carrier), I thought I'd cut up the metal mesh I'd bought for the brush guard. Not that I expect to come across many RPGs in this lifetime - some cecropia moths, maybe - but I like the look. Now to weld 'em in place and paint the thing.

I'm thinking basic black.

IMG_0350.jpgIMG_0351.jpgIMG_0352.jpg

ari

Wire Fox

If it's hinged it'd also make some killer seating for parade-watching or anything like that. :naner:
You see, I've looked at my Luverne brush guard and thought about that, but I've been worried I'd mangle something. I do use it to hold all of my tools and small parts while I'm working on my HMMWV. That grate is really, really nice. As well, the large square cut-out for each headlight perfectly holds a rectangular 5-gallon bucket. That makes for an excellent car wash bucket that you can't trip over, or great extra part storage while working.

Another Ahab

If it's hinged it'd also make some killer seating for parade-watching or anything like that.
You see, I've looked at my Luverne brush guard and thought about that, but I've been worried I'd mangle something. I do use it to hold all of my tools and small parts while I'm working on my HMMWV. That grate is really, really nice. As well, the large square cut-out for each headlight perfectly holds a rectangular 5-gallon bucket. That makes for an excellent car wash bucket that you can't trip over, or great extra part storage while working.
Sounds perfect then for a bucket or two of fried chicken, too....

For, you know, like watching a parade or something! :naner:

191661650972-0.jpg

gottaluvit

Got it! Well, went and won bids on two, since they're on one EUC. Another great thing about getting two is I can figure out from the other how (where) anything is supposed to be. Now I have 168 pages of this thread to read. I guess rainy days may have some use for a week or so.

20170628_121206.jpg

20170628_121224.jpg

Another Ahab

Got it! Well, went and won bids on two, since they're on one EUC. Another great thing about getting two is I can figure out from the other how (where) anything is supposed to be. Now I have 168 pages of this thread to read. I guess rainy days may have some use for a week or so.
Congratualtions on the wins, gottaluvit.

You must have some kind of fleet including these latest new additions to the "family".

Have you maybe got a group shot you can share?!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks