• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

twisted60

I got 1 too, won a 1986 M998 2 door troop carrier yesterday, now the wait begins, sorry no pics, only ones on line from govplanet. Unit looks good, starts and runs so that is a plus....

Shibby575

Just got notice my EUC is back. Plans to pick up next Wed. First go arround and getting quite excited. Does anyone have a link or something for an ultima battery fitment adapter or whatever it's called?? Planing to take a couple down with me to be sure I can get it on the trailer.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Hmm... In true redneck fashion, after my ECV front end upgrade, I do have a spare hood and a couple tires sitting around so with some beer and creativity I bet I could make the pictured sofa happen! :mrgreen:
Let me know if you need additional beer and additional redneck insight, should this be happening. I'm close enough that i'd want to see this thing go down.

Wire Fox

Just got notice my EUC is back. Plans to pick up next Wed. First go arround and getting quite excited. Does anyone have a link or something for an ultima battery fitment adapter or whatever it's called?? Planing to take a couple down with me to be sure I can get it on the trailer.
What you're looking for is an "Optima" battery adapter, which are widely available if you do a quick search of that-I don't have a recommendation on any specific make of them. An appropriate group Optima is almost as expense as a brand new 6TL from Interstate Batteries, especially if you call your local dedicated Interstate Batteries shop and ask about any deals they might be able to make on buying two of them...they offered about 15% off on the spot, but this will vary store by store. I still didn't buy them because they're still absolutely expensive ($190/ea) and my HMMWV isn't ready to move yet, but I am and that money would be very nice for closing costs instead.

NormB

Tried this from my desktop earlier, some new piece of anti-hacking software F-something or another I installed after Experian let my personal data go to the dark web (they keep sending me emails saying I can buy a protection package from them - I'm thinking this was an intentional leak just based on that alone) is buggering the upload function.

Had a couple days off so I poked around on the truck a bit. Hated the old steering wheel lock. Hard to push-pull, wheel end was bent, corroded, and fraying so I'd get poked every once in a while when using it but a new one at $90 WAS absurd. Looked like a very easy fix - I have crimping tools from an earlier zip line project and ham radio antenna fabrication - so I bought cable at ACE hardware. $4.50 for cable, $3 for two stop nuts, $1.50 for the "double-wide" ferrule, a dremel cutoff wheel and 1/2 hour later, voila. Takes a while to get those bolts back into the firewall by myself but I've got a system.

Had also bought a hand throttle control - didn't like location of the old one. I got a good deal on it last year, just hadn't gotten around to it. Works great.

IMG_0629.jpgIMG_0630.jpgIMG_0623.jpgIMG_0625.jpg

ryanruck

Let me know if you need additional beer and additional redneck insight, should this be happening. I'm close enough that i'd want to see this thing go down.
You know, thanks to your goading, I've now gone from joking to semi-serious about this idea... :burn:

If I do do this, I think it might be a good idea to take the runflats out of the tires to cut down on the weight. Better to make the tires able to spin to move the sofa or keep them fixed? I'm wondering if a futon could be hacked up to be adapted to it... Those large areas over the tires, near the turn signals, do lend themselves to some cup holders... Hmm, so many design considerations.

Well, the tires and hood aren't going anywhere so this might be a project best left for Springtime. :mrgreen:

What you're looking for is an "Optima" battery adapter, which are widely available if you do a quick search of that-I don't have a recommendation on any specific make of them. An appropriate group Optima is almost as expense as a brand new 6TL from Interstate Batteries, especially if you call your local dedicated Interstate Batteries shop and ask about any deals they might be able to make on buying two of them...they offered about 15% off on the spot, but this will vary store by store. I still didn't buy them because they're still absolutely expensive ($190/ea) and my HMMWV isn't ready to move yet, but I am and that money would be very nice for closing costs instead.
If he doesn't go with 6TLs, I would discourage picking the Optimas. From what I've heard from a number of users of them, they aren't as high quality as they used to be in the past. Odysseys are the way to go these days for a commercial battery.

ari

You know, thanks to your goading, I've now gone from joking to semi-serious about this idea... :burn:

If I do do this, I think it might be a good idea to take the runflats out of the tires to cut down on the weight. Better to make the tires able to spin to move the sofa or keep them fixed? I'm wondering if a futon could be hacked up to be adapted to it... Those large areas over the tires, near the turn signals, do lend themselves to some cup holders... Hmm, so many design considerations.

Well, the tires and hood aren't going anywhere so this might be a project best left for Springtime. :mrgreen:

I think the sooner you do it the better lol. the tires should spin so you can roll it where you need it keep the run flats never know when your couch might get a flat.

Last edited:

fpchief

Tried this from my desktop earlier, some new piece of anti-hacking software F-something or another I installed after Experian let my personal data go to the dark web (they keep sending me emails saying I can buy a protection package from them - I'm thinking this was an intentional leak just based on that alone) is buggering the upload function.

Had a couple days off so I poked around on the truck a bit. Hated the old steering wheel lock. Hard to push-pull, wheel end was bent, corroded, and fraying so I'd get poked every once in a while when using it but a new one at $90 WAS absurd. Looked like a very easy fix - I have crimping tools from an earlier zip line project and ham radio antenna fabrication - so I bought cable at ACE hardware. $4.50 for cable, $3 for two stop nuts, $1.50 for the "double-wide" ferrule, a dremel cutoff wheel and 1/2 hour later, voila. Takes a while to get those bolts back into the firewall by myself but I've got a system.

Had also bought a hand throttle control - didn't like location of the old one. I got a good deal on it last year, just hadn't gotten around to it. Works great.

View attachment 699257View attachment 699258View attachment 699259View attachment 699260
On that hand throttle...it gave me the idea that i could replace mine with the Dorman hand throttle...same one i have seen to be used as a replacement freq.adjust knob on the MEP 803. Is that what yours is?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NormB

On that hand throttle...it gave me the idea that i could replace mine with the Dorman hand throttle...same one i have seen to be used as a replacement freq.adjust knob on the MEP 803. Is that what yours is? Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Not sure it would work, but it's a similar design.

I bought a kit similar to one listed as "M998 HMMWV NEW THROTTLE CONTROL ASSY KIT" - on the evil auction site - last fall for about $20 from someone (NOT the ad I quoted) NSN# 2910-01-466-6264AM General Parts No. 57K3531.

Installation was real straight-forward. The brackets and "fitment" are what make the kit worthwhile if you're considering changing yours out. I have plans for some electric wiring/routing in the area occupied by the former "T" handle one.

riderdan

Got the tire carrier installed...

tire-carrier-installed1.jpg

tire-carrier-installed2.jpg

The good:
- Looks (mostly) like an airlift bumper
- Tire sits low enough not to block view out back window
- Cheap ($150)--back when I bought
this airlift bumpers were regularly selling for $500

The bad:
- Not actually an airlift bumper :D
- Sits too low for me to put the pintle hitch back on
- Has a bunch of unused holes in it

It's not important to me to be able to open the tailgate, since I have a pickup for actual hauling. I do throw my rifles into a custom rack I made for the bed when I'm going shooting, but nothing heavy goes in there.

I have the expanded wire mesh step that goes on the bottom, as well as two reinforcements that attach to the top. I'll still thinking about whether to put those on or not. I also need to move the reverse light. It's attached to a body bolt under the passenger side fender so it's currently covered by the bumper.

I'm considering fabricating a tag mount/reverse light deal that will mount to the center of the tire (with a waterproof connector so it's removable) to get the tag and light off the bumper... then I could just unplug one plug and pull them if I'm at a car show and don't want them cluttering up the back.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks