• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

riderdan

I mounted an old nightsight 2000 thermal system with full 360 degree joystick operation. A bit bulky but works a treat. It`s mounted on the rh side of the roof and on the lh side I have a remote operated search light plus a bracket for the GPS antenna.
That's awesome. I always wanted one of those CROWS systems on the roof. Your setup is definitely cool.

Wire Fox

I mounted an old nightsight 2000 thermal system with full 360 degree joystick operation. A bit bulky but works a treat. It`s mounted on the rh side of the roof and on the lh side I have a remote operated search light plus a bracket for the GPS antenna.

View attachment 700195View attachment 700196View attachment 700197View attachment 700198View attachment 700199
You people never cease to amaze me. I don't think I ever expected to see a PTZ thermal system installed on a privately-owned HMMWV.

ryanruck

They pop up on Ebay every now and then. Price varies from roughly $1,200 to $2, 500. They were used by the military, border patrol and marine applications. All alloy construction and waterproof. Human detection range from 10 feet to 2,400 feet
That's actually really reasonable for a thermal imager, let alone a PTZ unit.

Several years ago I paid about $1,300 for a mid-'90s vintage handheld/weapon mount AN/PAS-19, that's the size of an old school camcorder, and the resolution doesn't look anywhere near as good as that. What's the resolution and refresh rate on it?

Thankfully, unlike night vision, thermal prices are on the way down due to improvements in tech.

Wire Fox

What's next? Stinger Missiles?
Y'know, I had considered eventually building a clunky PTZ system with remote triggers for model rockets. Would make for an extremely cool look-alike for an avenger system one day. I think I could scare off a few neighbors and maybe draw in a few feds if I ever roll up to some gathering with an Avenger-like HMMWV and actually spit some rockets off the back. I lack the fabrication skills to do it in any sort of timely fashion, but it'd sure be fun to do over a couple months as time and materials permit.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started the frame for my soft top slant back. Plan to begin tack welding this afternoon, with more tomorrow evening and this weekend. I hope to begin pattern making for the canvas by Sunday. Time will tell.
Bulldogger
IMG_0494.jpg

ari

Thought I was good with my radio setup till I found they make a bluetooth stereo that fits perfectly into a doghouse tachometer box so I went ahead and installed it along with a charging port and aux port, the switch on the box it a kill switch/circuit breaker for my 24-12 power converter. Also installed a water proof switch panel its a clean set up. I got the fuze box and converter mounted under the passenger seat so only one wire comes out for the switch and the wires for my other things are discreetly ran to the box under the seat. So far the music is loud and everything works well no sparks or electrical fires :cool:. next I gotta make a lid for the box or buy one and find 3 suitable labels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749D7G8B IMAG1009.jpg71Jd21epvhL._SL1500_.jpgIMAG1013.jpgIMAG1007.jpgIMAG1014.jpg

FKAM

Thought I was good with my radio setup till I found they make a bluetooth stereo that fits perfectly into a doghouse tachometer box so I went ahead and installed it along with a charging port and aux port, the switch on the box it a kill switch/circuit breaker for my 24-12 power converter. Also installed a water proof switch panel its a clean set up. I got the fuze box and converter mounted under the passenger seat so only one wire comes out for the switch and the wires for my other things are discreetly ran to the box under the seat. So far the music is loud and everything works well no sparks or electrical fires :cool:. next I gotta make a lid for the box or buy one and find 3 suitable labels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749D7G8B
Where did you find the radio?

ExFlyBoy

Put new CV boots on two shafts, made and installed the grounding harness I read about on here, and installed a lighted license plate holder from Those Military Guys.... all in all a pretty easy day wrenching on the m998. Still have that **** WTS light issue.... guess I'll be checking GPs next.....hopefully just bad plug(s) and not the box.....been looking, but can't find any to replace my green label one.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks