• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

NormB

If you have x doors I would suggest getting a frag 5 door seals.
I have a 4 man soft top and have zero water problems and I've been in some crazy rain storms.
The seal kits are in eBay and work really well. One box easily covers one door.

I just bought a set of X-doors. Winter project will be refinishing them. New locking door handles arrive soon, looking at a set of seals, NIB for about $160.

I looked at these kits, stuff looks like the weather sealing material sold at the big box hardware stores like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...-Weather-Seal-Self-Stick-Tape-V734H/301319342

Or an EPDM foam like it.

I just changed out the foam strip under my tailgate (last warm day of the year, I'm thinking, should hold pretty tight) and judging from its condition (new old stock in sealed bag) with some cracking, just a little stiff, I'm leary of using the newer foam.

Anyone else using this?

Thanks.

Norm

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did my first piece of idiocy today. I ran the redtruck out of fuel in the middle of nowhere.

I considered driving the hmmwv to go get some, but in the end I decided to just rob from the tank. I removed the nut from the bolt that goes through the rubber plug. That was insufficient to let fuel out.

I said to myself, "be careful you don't let anything get loose into the tank." I then wedged a small screwdriver beside the rubber plug to release fuel. You know what happened next - the bolt is now a free range bolt, wandering loose inside the fuel tank. The tank is 4 gallons short of being full.

A bystander stopped by wondering why I was lying on the trailer deck under the hmmwv holding my finger against the tank. Once I explained, he held his finger in the dike while i fished around in the truck and found a bolt that would serve.

I'm now home and all is well. Draining the tank and fishing out the bolt is the first order of business when work begins on the hmmwv.... !&#&=€=£÷&×\÷!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Carrera911

What are those things by the washer bottle with wires attached? A new hood snubber in the middle may quiet down some hood rattles.
Look at all that free space where the alternator was!
Looks to me like someone added a solenoid for a Manual glow plug switch. Definitely not factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ari

I changed out 2 worn out tires with 2 real decent ones. I yanked the runflat out of the old tire by strapping the tire to a tree that was the easiest part. Putting them in the new tire is something I never wanna do again. next time im gonna get the pvc insert beadlocks. heres a pic right before the run flat finally went in. IMAG1160.jpg

Action

I changed out 2 worn out tires with 2 real decent ones. I yanked the runflat out of the old tire by strapping the tire to a tree that was the easiest part. Putting them in the new tire is something I never wanna do again. next time im gonna get the pvc insert beadlocks. heres a pic right before the run flat finally went in. View attachment 704438
You squeeze it to look like a banana, and it goes in easier. Opposite sides touch. Lube helps, too.

NormB

I changed out 2 worn out tires with 2 real decent ones. I yanked the runflat out of the old tire by strapping the tire to a tree that was the easiest part. Putting them in the new tire is something I never wanna do again. next time im gonna get the pvc insert beadlocks. heres a pic right before the run flat finally went in. View attachment 704438

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

DCIV

Installed a keyed ignition today. Never liked the idea of a key hanging, so I trimmed it all up, painted it all black, and then put the key in the toggle.

IMG_6568.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks