• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typically transported in custom large hardigg/pelican type cases with inserts to hold them. I have seen a few pop up on the auction sites but do not recall any stenciling or data plates/sticker.

shawnshumvee

Ok, thanks. I guess this is going to be the only M16A1 crate? I mean it all started when I bought Gun mounts for the Humvee and then wanted to Place replica M16's in those mounts when i take the of Humvee to car Shows, Military shows and other events. But i needed a way to transport the guns while on state highways (etc) and i just didn't want to use 4 gun cases. I wanted do something a bit better than just cases, I was looking to do something a bit over the top, thus i built the weapon crate. The Crate will sit in the back of the humvee with the M16's inside and when i arrived at my destination i would take the box out and place the guns into the mounts and throw the box back in the back of the humvee. I thought that would be pretty cool and different? Nevertheless, thanks for your help.

NormB

Replaced the cadillac valve.

Had bought one thinking it might be a good idea to have around as “a spare” but after reading General Hood’s travails, I went out and measured the resistance in mine - open circuit. Hasn’t run since last summer (the fan), several trips around town, 80 mile run once, temp gauge never got over 200. Unplugged the TD and no fan. Today I connected an air hose at 25, 40, 70 PSI, no fan movement. This is going to be expensive, mutter mutter.

Temp close to 80 today reminded me it’s going to be getting hotter sooner than later, so I just went after it. Took about two hours ‘cause I’m meticulous - polished the brass fittings, replaced some of the hose - not the high-pressure stuff with the metal inside, I’ll have to order that - bleeding the PS system takes some time, decided I’d just connect the the valve to the fan and see what happened, valve would have to open, and if the pressure wasn’t enough to move the fan, well, then I’d have another problem to work on.

Works great.

Now I’ll keep shopping around for “a spare” sometime... saw one a few months back for something like $80 and thought, “naw, I’ve got one already.”

DOH!

Action

I have built a wooden weapons case to go in the back for the Humvee to house my M16A1 rifles when traveling to events and so on, but I need a little help. I want to add some painted stencils to the crate and i need some input regarding what to put on the box.I have already done some custom lettering so far but i would like to add some real markings also, but i can't find an image of how M16's where boxed?
any Help would be helpful.
Thank you in advance.

View attachment 719505View attachment 719506View attachment 719507View attachment 719508View attachment 719509View attachment 719510View attachment 719511

Are you only transporting fake guns in that crate? There is no room by the barrel or stock for padding. And, if you do put padding in there, with the gun positioned like that, the tip of the barrel will eat through the foam with all the shaking of the HMMWV.

shawnshumvee

Hello Action. Yes only replicas are going in the crate. Moreover, there is a some room (pictures are deceiving) in the crate at both ends. The Gun was just inserted into the box for an example (demonstration), more work is needed and I'm looking at images on how to stabilize the guns and I'm coming up with some creative ideas will post pics when done. But pretty cool Right?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, thanks. I guess this is going to be the only M16A1 crate? I mean it all started when I bought Gun mounts for the Humvee and then wanted to Place replica M16's in those mounts when i take the of Humvee to car Shows, Military shows and other events. But i needed a way to transport the guns while on state highways (etc) and i just didn't want to use 4 gun cases. I wanted do something a bit better than just cases, I was looking to do something a bit over the top, thus i built the weapon crate. The Crate will sit in the back of the humvee with the M16's inside and when i arrived at my destination i would take the box out and place the guns into the mounts and throw the box back in the back of the humvee. I thought that would be pretty cool and different? Nevertheless, thanks for your help.
I actually think it looks pretty cool and admire your skills. Carpenter I am not :-(

Attached is a pic of ones I have seen

Attachments

shawnshumvee

Boy, I was "WAY" off! Oh well. I built the crate just to solve the issue of transportation of the Guns. Like i said earlier, placing the m16's into 4 separate gun cases and then just placing them into the humvee at random didn't seem to be to logical t me. To be honest it seemed rather boring, cheap and not well thought out. So i decide to build the crate and give it a Military type theme.
Thanks for your help and comments.

NormB

Not exactly a “what I did to my HMMWV today” but useful anyway.

Moving batteries around recently (my thanks to Scrounger who advised getting a Snap-On carbon pile battery load tester - found one on the evil auction site delivered for about $220), I remembered these things in my brother’s garage way back when, so I looked into battery carriers. When they arrived, the vinyl was like a 33 rpm LP, not your concert beach ball (or rubber b*itch). I looked at what materials I had around and picked out a couple 1” backpack straps (I had rolls of the stuff to make up some tie-down straps I’m finally getting around to) and since I had extra “Cherrymax” rivets - from the seatbelt kit, I think - I used some of those. Also used one of those butane soldering irons to melt holes in the strap material (while it was pinned between the metal tabs), keeps the stuff from unraveling.

422CB3BB-2907-4FDC-A0F8-6179BB837C9E.jpg1AE04F31-887B-4FFC-80A3-BA96BFF37BC7.jpg

The strap material is MUCH more comfortable to MY hands and you can’t roll up the vinyl.

Just one of those “fun” projects to do in your copious free time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks