• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did some little things on the HMMWV, replaced the passenger seat back with an NOS non-rusty one I had on hand, then pulled a few more cut wires from the old comms install. I also removed a dozen empty wire loom mounts running here and there around the interior, again for the old comms package she must have had while in service. Lastly, I got a wild hair to see if the M35A2 pioneer mount I bought off Cabel Garbee at last year's Graves Mountain rally would fit anywhere. I finally figured out it could nestle fairly well in the left rear wheel well. It may not stay there, but I'm going to let it ride for a while and see how I like it. It follows I need to source some pioneer tools then. I will strip and repaint it when I do the rest of the vehicle this Summer, good Lord willin' and the crick don't rise...

Next I plan to fix the wart on here nose where a crack in the hood was hastily patched.

Bulldogger

IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0874.jpg

Wire Fox

Wes came by and like a real champ, helped me relocate my HMMWV across town to my new place IN A GARAGE. It's going to be very, very nice not having to deal with the elements while finishing up the engine work. Definitely need to find some time this week to finish investigating my injection pump to see if I can fully dial-in what the fault is before just sending it off for a rebuild.

I'm pretty sure the truck he used to help move my HMMWV was an M809 (forgot to ask...it was a fairly modern 5-ton). He handled that truck with some real excellent precision. I've never seen someone weave through cars on a tiny residential street with a 5-ton and large trailer, and then swing it around to actually back the entire thing down a tiny alley. ...neither did any of the residents of my streets, as almost the entire neighborhood was standing on their front porches to watch the unannounced military parade! :mrgreen:

suzukovich

Repurposed pluger antenna mount to hold my solargizer. Attached one of the pull down shades to use as a Sun visor or create shade while I am sitting waiting to pick up my daughter from school.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Carrera911

About a month ago I got stuck, and I really do mean stuck in some mud. Some a-hole that came by wanted $250 for 5 minutes of his time to pull me out. After telling him off and getting out,I decided it was time for a winch.
Photo Mar 20, 2 47 44 PM.jpg
If the hydraulic winches and military plates were still somewhat reasonably priced, I would have gone that route. But they're getting pretty hard to come by and even the beat up winches bring way too much money, not including all the hoses and accessories. I also don't like how big and bulbous the Warn mount is and even the mile marker hangs pretty low. The day after I got stuck I saw Harbor Freight had their 12k winches on sale and I picked mine up for $320 with tax. Over the last month I came up with my own bracket made from 1/4" plate. I wanted it flush with where the OEM bumper is and tucked as high as possible. I also made a bolt on skid plate for the bottom to cover the triangular gussets. I incorporated the lip on the bottom to attach my undercarriage protection once I make it. After many cardboard templates, I plasma cut out all the pieces and welded it together. I cleaned it up and primered and painted it with Rust Oleum flat black industrial from my HVLP gun.
Photo Apr 08, 9 46 03 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 14, 8 38 10 AM.jpgPhoto Apr 14, 8 38 14 AM.jpgPhoto Apr 14, 8 38 22 AM.jpgPhoto Apr 14, 8 38 29 AM.jpg

12 Volt power comes from the rear battery and my sure power battery balancer keeps the batteries in check along with my radio and other 12v accessories. I mounted the control box behind the winch on the cross member as high as possible. I lengthened the power wire from it to the battery using 2 gauge wire. I oped the solenoid box and hard wired the remote harness and sealed it all up with RTV. The remote is just run into the cab for now but I'll eventually mount the 3 way switch in my center console next to the radio.
Photo Apr 14, 5 12 56 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 14, 5 24 34 PM.jpg
After finishing the install at 3am, I took it to a Jeep off road event that day and used it to pull a lifted 4 door jeep out of the mud with no problem.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumped up the fuel pump on mine with the kind help of TheCaptain. Followed the guidance on the FlashOffroad site. It was straightforward but not simple dealing with the fiddly nuts and bolts while straddling the engine bay, but we got it. Truck drives noticeably better now. I’ll see how well she tows later when I have a moment to hitch up the M101. Turned it up 1/6th.
I also stitched in a new rear window for TC as his rear curtain window had dry rotted and cracked over the winter. Then fitted him with a green soft slant back, which I will let him tell you about.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...4-man-Soft-Slant-Back-Feedback-and-Discussion

Bulldogger

NormB

Made charger connections using SAE fittings. Had some other connector in place (Anderson power pole), but believe it or not they DO wear out and lose connectivity. Had also used a 24V charger in series (like the batteries are wired) but when one died months ago, got two of the smaller chargers and had been running them with clamps on the batteries.

This is more easily accessed, and has dust caps (unlike the Andersons).

I know, Battery tender makes a single, dual-bank model. Easier to replace ONE charger than the pricier dual charger if one side dies (which, reading reviews, happens). I had one of the smaller units die a year ago and the company made good on a replacement, sending a 1.25Amp charger TOO, which I thought was awesome. Great way to buy customer loyalty. I now own several of this brand.

YMMV.

IMG_4588.jpgIMG_4591.jpg

MIDDLEMAN

Nice setup! If you need another battery maintainer in the future......you might check out the Noco G7200. It has a 24V setting in wet acid battery or AGM for your Hawkers, plus a host of other great features. Spendy but good'ol Epay has some at a fair offering.

JoeJrTheBarber

Made charger connections using SAE fittings. Had some other connector in place (Anderson power pole), but believe it or not they DO wear out and lose connectivity. Had also used a 24V charger in series (like the batteries are wired) but when one died months ago, got two of the smaller chargers and had been running them with clamps on the batteries.

This is more easily accessed, and has dust caps (unlike the Andersons).

I know, Battery tender makes a single, dual-bank model. Easier to replace ONE charger than the pricier dual charger if one side dies (which, reading reviews, happens). I had one of the smaller units die a year ago and the company made good on a replacement, sending a 1.25Amp charger TOO, which I thought was awesome. Great way to buy customer loyalty. I now own several of this brand.

YMMV.
Question:
I know the truck is a 24volt system but when purchasing battery maintainers such as the above are you wanting to buy a 12volt or 24volt charger ?
I plan to run a charger to each so am I looking at two 12volt chargers (one per battery) ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks