• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

dilvoy

I don’t know if I should be glad that I have been able to spare the time for all these repairs, or if I should be angry that what I thought was a vacation for mostly gardening and homework has turned into nothing but humvee maintenance.

For those following along at home I had a universal joint problem which then turned into a transfer case problem. Both of those were corrected by yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I must have put too much grease into the slip yoke on the front driveshaft. This caused and overpressure that I guess the blowoff valve couldn’t handle. The entire end piece popped out. Thankfully I spotted it before I lost it along the road somewhere. So first thing this morning I cleaned that up, removed the driveshaft, reinstalled the end plate then tack welded it and put the drive shaft back.

THE!, one of those weeks remember, My muffler fell off. The pipe entering the muffler corroded and finally gave way. I don’t remember bumping it a lot during all the work but certainly all that stuff down there I was being interfered with.

So, a quick trip to the auto parts store on the way home got me a collar that would fit over the exhaust pipe. I cut this collar down into a ring which I then welded on the end of the muffler, lying underneath the truck, and then got it all back together again.

I am afraid to go for a check ride.

Bulldogger

The muffler is stainless steel of some sort so check that weld once and a while.

cwajciec

I fixed a couple nagging leaks. Valve cover had the cork gasket on a bent valve cover so I straightened it and applied RTV. Looks pretty good for a 30 yr old engine with 18k miles. Then I fixed the leaking o-ring on the transmission dipstick. No more leaks!
9083896D-C5A5-43DE-8D84-D05A4D866E2E.jpg

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Started out on a bread run. 1 1/2 miles into it... turned around and was testing the run-flat system. So much for the sidewalls of MT's

IMG_5867.jpgIMG_5868.jpgIMG_5869.jpg

therooster2001

Bought one.

94, private seller. Pretty good shape, think it's a guard truck. New windshield. Needs new tires. Seller didn't perform basics on maintenance, so all fluids going to get attention.

Already did 3/4 of a DIY grounding harness (Kascar backordered 6 weeks!) before time ran out on getting the EESS bolt out, it's free but won't come up, just spins and I didn't want to get out a BFH on that sensitive piece and little bolt.

Other than that, some cleaning and familiarizing (just sitting in it and staring at things like an idiot until they make sense), TM's and Google. Buying battery disconnect, new data plates, and might put new seats in.

Neighbor called the cops on it the first day. Got a warning for no reg and an abandoned vehicle as it was parked in street. Got plates next day, and put them on even though CO has a statute that allows for no display of plates on FMV.

You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your neighbors.

Attachments

Action

And the cops couldn't run the VIN, because it is not visible.
You can put a small pair of vice grips up to the rivnut or nut that is under the dash on the PCB, then turn from the top. It may take 2 people.

Dock Rocker

Neighbor called the cops on it the first day. Got a warning for no reg and an abandoned vehicle as it was parked in street. Got plates next day, and put them on even though CO has a statute that allows for no display of plates on FMV.

I would replace it with a HET next week just to piss them off. Why can’t people just mind their own business, or if they have a problem just come over and talk about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therooster2001

And the cops couldn't run the VIN, because it is not visible.
You can put a small pair of vice grips up to the rivnut or nut that is under the dash on the PCB, then turn from the top. It may take 2 people.
Yup, considering printing and laminating a sign that let LEO know about the statute, the VIN (I have a state assigned one) and maybe some general info to keep my neighbors at bay.

I did actually get the nut on the bottom off, it just won't come up. Assume some persuasion upwards is needed. I also hadn't disconnected battery yet, assume that's best practice when even close to the EESS.

suzukovich

Actually a HEMIT wreaker would do nicely. Had similar issue with neighbor and HOA. Only mine was in my driveway.
I would replace it with a HET next week just to piss them off. Why can’t people just mind their own business, or if they have a problem just come over and talk about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

NormB

Bought one.
94, private seller. Pretty good shape, think it's a guard truck. New windshield. Needs new tires. Seller didn't perform basics on maintenance, so all fluids going to get attention.

Already did 3/4 of a DIY grounding harness (Kascar backordered 6 weeks!) before time ran out on getting the EESS bolt out, it's free but won't come up, just spins and I didn't want to get out a BFH on that sensitive piece and little bolt.

Other than that, some cleaning and familiarizing (just sitting in it and staring at things like an idiot until they make sense), TM's and Google. Buying battery disconnect, new data plates, and might put new seats in.

TWO of the S3 rivnuts loosened up when I was changing mine out; from all my years of WECSOG (Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing) experience, the best way to "fix" that is just take a Dremel cutting wheel to the head of the nut, lop off the sides until the center will drop through the hole, THEN fix the thing.

Neighbors. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. At least not until the zombie apocalypse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks