• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Wire Fox

It's a silly little thing, but a local with no MVs had a pioneer tool set for sale. $50 and 50 miles on the odometer later, I come home with it. None of the tools were even close to the right spot, so I quickly rearranged that, then threw it right under the HMMWV without any issue. Only thing actually wrong with this set is the axe is absolutely toast, and the mattock would benefit from a new handle. I've got a good lead on mattock handles, but would appreciate a pointer to a replacement axe. Anybody know of any specific brand/model that fits there particularly well, so that I don't have to run through the hardware store with the tool rack, seeing what fits?

kcobean

I dealt with this lovely situation....had to pull the entire crossover off the truck and take it to a local shop. I didn't have an EZ-out big enough to get the body of the switch out. Now to put everything back together and put coolant in it.

IMG_2707.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a silly little thing, but a local with no MVs had a pioneer tool set for sale. $50 and 50 miles on the odometer later, I come home with it. None of the tools were even close to the right spot, so I quickly rearranged that, then threw it right under the HMMWV without any issue. Only thing actually wrong with this set is the axe is absolutely toast, and the mattock would benefit from a new handle. I've got a good lead on mattock handles, but would appreciate a pointer to a replacement axe. Anybody know of any specific brand/model that fits there particularly well, so that I don't have to run through the hardware store with the tool rack, seeing what fits?

nopicsnopics

Wire Fox

Ok, twist my arm...

20180605_223548.jpg20180605_223456.jpg20180605_223349.jpg

As you can see, the axe is absolutely wrecked. Nothing is in good condition on it. The mattock head is in good shape, but the handle is very weathered-it would probably work very well for a while, but could be better. Shovel seems just fine. I get a hunch the shovel was replaced in this particular bunch by the last military user, as there's an NSN printed on the shovel handle and it's in much better shape than the other tools.

Looks like I can theoretically order the axe new from AM General... http://www.bluehummer.net/6150925-axe-4-lb-single-bit/ ...or Oshkosh Equipment, new or used: http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/detail/285/4843/Axe-Single-Bit
I think I'd still rather source a local axe, as I think I want fiberglass handles being under the truck, since they won't weather away like the wood handles unfortunately will.

As I keep finding more info...
Head weight: 4.000 POUNDS NOMINAL
Cutting edge: 4.750 INCHES NOMINAL
Handle length: 31.000 INCHES NOMINAL

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, twist my arm...

View attachment 730815View attachment 730814View attachment 730813

As you can see, the axe is absolutely wrecked. Nothing is in good condition on it. The mattock head is in good shape, but the handle is very weathered-it would probably work very well for a while, but could be better. Shovel seems just fine. I get a hunch the shovel was replaced in this particular bunch by the last military user, as there's an NSN printed on the shovel handle and it's in much better shape than the other tools.

Looks like I can theoretically order the axe new from AM General... http://www.bluehummer.net/6150925-axe-4-lb-single-bit/ ...or Oshkosh Equipment, new or used: http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/detail/285/4843/Axe-Single-Bit
I think I'd still rather source a local axe, as I think I want fiberglass handles being under the truck, since they won't weather away like the wood handles unfortunately will.

As I keep finding more info...
Head weight: 4.000 POUNDS NOMINAL
Cutting edge: 4.750 INCHES NOMINAL
Handle length: 31.000 INCHES NOMINAL
:goodjob::grd:

That's a good score at such a reasonable price !

therooster2001

Swapped out my one bad glow plug. No issues coming out. Installed radio rack I scored for $100, and got all the hardware to install the turn signal cancelling ring. Got the bed divider seal in, and looks like it will work great. 4-man extended cargo cover enroute along with new tires. Working on a Bluetooth ammo box speaker... Ran it today with doors off to go to lunch. It got tons of looks in the parking lot.. Still need to find a green / camo rear passenger soft door, anyone got a tan truck with that camo door we could trade out for my only tan door?

IMG_0214.jpg

Last edited:

therooster2001

Juan sent me a huge box! NEW HMMWV parts.

This is a rear cargo extended cover.

55010129812__7972C0A9-65F1-43D0-BF5D-3BB74C86EEEC.jpg

Also put some 303 Aerospace on the covers and curtains. Huge difference. I think it might be a bit late, the stitching is coming apart in some areas.

therooster2001

I have an extended cover now...

IMG_0290.jpg

And I scored a NOS 4-man cover on craigslist. So all "new" tops. Now I will probably take them all off, as the rain looks like it's stopped. Topless!

Bed divider, cargo seal, hubs and new shoes are on deck.

Drove it around today. OAT was 75, and it barely hit 200, but was a quick 3 mile trip out and 3 miles back. Curahee!

JoeJrTheBarber

6/15/18
Currently doing a full go-over / re-do on my 1988 M998. Will post a thread covering all what I did when its done (or atleast back in my possession).
Small list of whats being added / changed to the truck:
Teardown.jpg
- X Doors with tinted windows
- 2" Spring lift with new 12k shocks
- 24 bolt wheels
- 40" tires (yet to be sourced)
- New exhaust headers back with no muffler
- Interior ambient lighting along with door activated interior lights (all red)
- In-Bed lighting activated when tailgate is opened and/or on separate switch
- Slantback style hardtop (just the roof)
- One piece / no window "rear curtain" with third brake light that folds up for in truck access (think carrying home a 10 foot 2x4)
- Front and rear cameras
- New optima red top batteries with hidden master kill switch
- LED marker lights (like on the civilian H1's) like over windshield and below tail gate
- 5 gallon on board air compressor with 42" air horn with 200psi switch
- LED headlights and front fog lights (in three hole bumper)
- Reverse lights wired to ambulance shifter switch
- Simple 4 speaker with sub blue-tooth radio system
- License plate frame with light
- Coolant crossover kit - complete coolant flush - new thermostat - etc
- Spal Dual electric fans on thermostatic switch (turns on and off when needed)
- Block heater / Oil pan heater / dual battery maintainers / Soligizer
- Secondary heater mounted up high on back wall / above tunnel
- Seam sealing entire truck inside and out before lizard skin and dynomat insulation
- Compete repaint once all work is said and done

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks