• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wife and I went and participated in the annual beach cleanup on the 4WD section of Padre Island today, lots of folks showed up.
They did a cursory grading of the vehicles and we were of course picked to be in the first and farthest down the beach group, 44 mi from the end of the pavement (Malaquite Visitor Center)
As it turned out the beach was in pretty good condition with only a few spots that would have given a stock FWD a hard time, They left the best sand open for traffic so I did get to travel on the inside of the caravan closest to the dunes in the softest sand because I was hauling the trailer, fun times!Beach1.jpg
It was a gorgeous day!! mostly sunny and it got into the low 70s. by the time we worked over our 2 miles of beach the trailer was really stacked up with allot of junk!
The only down side was the 60A alternator gave up the ghost, I first noticed it at the visitor center but decided to make the trip anyway down the beach, not sure at what point it actually died, even worked FL, NC and WA on 40 meters so I was not in max power conservation mode.
So we made the 88 miles of beach and the 80mi run home on the Odyssey batteries alone, 8 1/2 hrs, and I shut it down for lunch at the end of the cleanup, when refueling and at the car wash,,, money well spent!
The TreadWright tires performed well, the less aggressive tread would be better in sand than the factory tires, I actually have 250mi on them and have not worn the vent spews off of them yet, I did pony up a few extra bucks for the longer wearing rubber compound.
I have a complete 200A setup, I guess that is next on the agenda...

crwray

Made a little steel plate to mount a magnetic interior light

View attachment 758345

View attachment 758346

View attachment 758347

Cut up an old floormat to insulate the center of the tunnel where the wood was.

View attachment 758348

View attachment 758349

Tilted the drivers seat back a little

View attachment 758351

Started mounting up my 4 man cargo divider brackets

View attachment 758352

View attachment 758353

View attachment 758354

View attachment 758355
I like the way you mounted your cargo divider. I may take a page out of your book.
Russ

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wife and I went and participated in the annual beach cleanup on the 4WD section of Padre Island today, lots of folks showed up.
They did a cursory grading of the vehicles and we were of course picked to be in the first and farthest down the beach group, 44 mi from the end of the pavement (Malaquite Visitor Center)
As it turned out the beach was in pretty good condition with only a few spots that would have given a stock FWD a hard time, They left the best sand open for traffic so I did get to travel on the inside of the caravan closest to the dunes in the softest sand because I was hauling the trailer, fun times!View attachment 791668
It was a gorgeous day!! mostly sunny and it got into the low 70s. by the time we worked over our 2 miles of beach the trailer was really stacked up with allot of junk!
The only down side was the 60A alternator gave up the ghost, I first noticed it at the visitor center but decided to make the trip anyway down the beach, not sure at what point it actually died, even worked FL, NC and WA on 40 meters so I was not in max power conservation mode.
So we made the 88 miles of beach and the 80mi run home on the Odyssey batteries alone, 8 1/2 hrs, and I shut it down for lunch at the end of the cleanup, when refueling and at the car wash,,, money well spent!
The TreadWright tires performed well, the less aggressive tread would be better in sand than the factory tires, I actually have 250mi on them and have not worn the vent spews off of them yet, I did pony up a few extra bucks for the longer wearing rubber compound.
I have a complete 200A setup, I guess that is next on the agenda...

What an awesome cause. Great Picture too. Very jealous here.

Makes me wish I could have been there, but then again, all my exes live in ...."

Wire Fox

Dropping the drivers side mirror down the ~5" as was done on the A2 version helps quite a bit with that blind spot. You can see over the mirror and makes it lot easier to see pedestrians on the corner.
In all my prodding around this site, I always thought that modification was done solely to be able to see the mirror through the smaller port window in an armored HMMWV. I hadn't thought about it reducing a major blind spot, which I'm always looking like a parakeet as I move around in the truck trying to see around my mirrors. I'll have to move mine down a bit! I may still use that upper hole for something else useful (that's much smaller).

kzeyus

In all my prodding around this site, I always thought that modification was done solely to be able to see the mirror through the smaller port window in an armored HMMWV. I hadn't thought about it reducing a major blind spot, which I'm always looking like a parakeet as I move around in the truck trying to see around my mirrors. I'll have to move mine down a bit! I may still use that upper hole for something else useful (that's much smaller).
Here are photos Michael Vaden sent me showing mirror location

Attachments

Squirel

Had my first big win with the HMMWV today. When I picked it up I knew it didn't have windshield wipers or arms. No big deal they are readily available. So I bought the needed parts. Well when I tried the switch... Nothing... Nothing at all. So I started testing things and low and behold the switch was cracked and one of the contacts was not attached. So I bought a new switch. Installed it and nothing. So I took off the top and layed down the windshield. The contacts looked bad but had voltage at the connector. So, new contacts and today the wiper motor started moving! I will take that one. Two weeks waiting on parts but atleast the motor is good. Those things are pricey. So the next adventure is that the wiper pivots seem to have extensions on them from when it had an armored windshield. They seem to be corroded on. Is there a way to get them off or am I better off spending the $26 to get a new set of pivots?

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had my first big win with the HMMWV today. When I picked it up I knew it didn't have windshield wipers or arms. No big deal they are readily available. So I bought the needed parts. Well when I tried the switch... Nothing... Nothing at all. So I started testing things and low and behold the switch was cracked and one of the contacts was not attached. So I bought a new switch. Installed it and nothing. So I took off the top and layed down the windshield. The contacts looked bad but had voltage at the connector. So, new contacts and today the wiper motor started moving! I will take that one. Two weeks waiting on parts but atleast the motor is good. Those things are pricey. So the next adventure is that the wiper pivots seem to have extensions on them from when it had an armored windshield. They seem to be corroded on. Is there a way to get them off or am I better off spending the $26 to get a new set of pivots?
It is my understanding that you will have a hard time getting them off without cracking them anyway. Your truck sounds just like mine, with the pivot extensions, and strategically placed white lithium grease. Did you have tin foil tape on your wiper pivot ends? But I digress, my truck had a pivot broken, probably when they removed the arm. My recommendation would be to try to get the extension off, and if you break it buy a new pivot it's a pretty easy replacement. I can't recall the correct tech memo reference but I will look. There are pretty good directions in there. But it's not much more than pull the rubber caps off from inside of the windshield, remove arms from pivot, remove pivot nut which is on the outside of the windshield, remove pivot, repeat in reverse with new.

Also if you need new wiper arms and blades look for 1980-1995 Jeep CJ7 or Wrangler. They work well.

Last edited:

Ajax MD

We now have tags so my wife took me out for ice cream in her HMMWV.
Then, we went to an antique store to buy a brace-and-bit for a maple sugaring exhibit that she's building.

The lady in the Porsche SUV next to us looked over with some concern... ;)

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
89195119_10163209100180578_6900758069408432128_o.jpg

Almost done with all major PMCS from glow plugs to hoses. Did some shake down runs these past few days to work the kinks out and set up the troop seats in the bed. There's a whirling sound when I left off the throttle that is new to me but everything seems fine. Hmm..

Wire Fox

View attachment 792355

Almost done with all major PMCS from glow plugs to hoses. Did some shake down runs these past few days to work the kinks out and set up the troop seats in the bed. There's a whirling sound when I left off the throttle that is new to me but everything seems fine. Hmm..
That's just the hurricane moving into the tornado dispenser. Should be normal.

EDIT: If anyone knows what I'm talking about, y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. That was a terrible video...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I crawled under my truck and had my niece turn the steering wheel back and forth to try and find why it won't hold toe adjustment.
Found out it was the idler arm. Really wanted to upgrade to the moog, but tight on funds at the moment so found an A2 idler arm NOS on epay (pictures even showed "Made in U.S.A." on it, and looked different than the Chinese made ones, so hopefully I don't get screwed over with Chinese parts like some sellers like to claim are OEM)

Squirel

Worked on the horn today. It didn't/doesn't work and I am still not quite sure where the actual horn is, but I pulled the horn button off the steering wheel and it does not have continuity. How can a sealed rubber and steel part fail? Seriously? All it has to have are two metal parts touch to close a circuit and it can't even do that? So I jumped the contacts on the steering wheel and the horn sounded. So, it's the button. I guess it's an easy fix and an easy part to find, but seriously that part should never go bad unless the rubber rots off and even then it should still work.

BLK HMMWV

Worked on the horn today. It didn't/doesn't work and I am still not quite sure where the actual horn is, but I pulled the horn button off the steering wheel and it does not have continuity. How can a sealed rubber and steel part fail? Seriously? All it has to have are two metal parts touch to close a circuit and it can't even do that? So I jumped the contacts on the steering wheel and the horn sounded. So, it's the button. I guess it's an easy fix and an easy part to find, but seriously that part should never go bad unless the rubber rots off and even then it should still work.
You have to have the light switch set to brake lights or service drive to send power to horn if I'm not mistaken.
Horn is located dead center of front diff. pointed down.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Troop seats installed and secured. Filled in a few holes from the previous armor package. The temp gauge is working intermittently so that's on the to-do list.2020-03-11 12.32.55.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks