• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to mounting the Baja tires I bought from Felts in January. Took them into Les Schwab today to get them balanced.
When checking them in, the guy tried to convince me it's a waste of time to try balancing them, and that I'd be better off with some of their balancing product that goes inside the tire.
I have Centramatics, so mostly I just wanted to get them closer to balanced so the centramatics don't have to do as much.

All of them had multiple weights on them, but one had 9 1/2 ounces of weights on the rim, which was nearly one whole half around the outside.

I just found that amusing for some reason.
I'll take some pictures later.

btw, lawnmower ramp makes loading tires pretty darned easy compared to trying to lift them into the bed of a truck.

O go back on Friday for an alignment. I probably could do it myself, but the weather kind of sucks and the ground is wet/muddy/slush/ice so I'd rather just pay. Already been under there enough times lately replacing the tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to mounting the Baja tires I bought from Felts in January. Took them into Les Schwab today to get them balanced.
When checking them in, the guy tried to convince me it's a waste of time to try balancing them, and that I'd be better off with some of their balancing product that goes inside the tire.
I have Centramatics, so mostly I just wanted to get them closer to balanced so the centramatics don't have to do as much.

All of them had multiple weights on them, but one had 9 1/2 ounces of weights on the rim, which was nearly one whole half around the outside.

I just found that amusing for some reason.
I'll take some pictures later.

btw, lawnmower ramp makes loading tires pretty darned easy compared to trying to lift them into the bed of a truck.

O go back on Friday for an alignment. I probably could do it myself, but the weather kind of sucks and the ground is wet/muddy/slush/ice so I'd rather just pay. Already been under there enough times lately replacing the tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm.
My retirement plan is partly funded by the lead on my hmmwv rims... :)
But on the other hand I have zero balance or vibration issues. Done by an old school tire guy on a Coates balancer

M1165A1

Looks amazing. Is that water resistant wood?

My local lumber place didn’t have any marine or treated plywood. So it’s regular plywood but treated with oil based water sealer so it should hold up for a few seasons. And should be easy enough to change out if it rots, just transfer the rubber guides over to a new piece and bolt in.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My local lumber place didn’t have any marine or treated plywood. So it’s regular plywood but treated with oil based water sealer so it should hold up for a few seasons. And should be easy enough to change out if it rots, just transfer the rubber guides over to a new piece and bolt in.
I have had great success painting with several coats of ATF. Lasts for years. And when it starts wearing out. Paint it again!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have had great success painting with several coats of ATF. Lasts for years. And when it starts wearing out. Paint it again!
Wonder how that would work for trailer decking? Back in the day, the wood decking would get "chewed up" on a lowboy because of the cleats on doziers. These days I don't haul that kind of equipment AND it is my trailer and my brand new decking... Makes a body wonder if AFT brushed onto that wood would make it last longer? And how nasty it would get if I have to lay down on the wood?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We used to mop used motor oil on rough cut oak on lowboy when i was young to slow down the wood decay but you wouldnt want that on your trailer ! Im thinking maybe the diy brush on bedliner would hold up fair

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My uncle uses boiled linseed oil thinned down with diesel and a pump sprayer to coat his trailer decking.
Can't honestly say how it actually holds up as I don't visit that often.

One thing to be aware of is some plywood uses water soluble glue, and it starts delaminating if soaked in water for a while. I assume some of these oils might have a similar effect.

Marine grade plywood isn't affected like that by moisture, but without knowing if it's just going to get torn up enough to need replaced in a couple years it might just be a waste of money to do that.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My uncle uses boiled linseed oil thinned down with diesel and a pump sprayer to coat his trailer decking.
Can't honestly say how it actually holds up as I don't visit that often.

One thing to be aware of is some plywood uses water soluble glue, and it starts delaminating if soaked in water for a while. I assume some of these oils might have a similar effect.

Marine grade plywood isn't affected like that by moisture, but without knowing if it's just going to get torn up enough to need replaced in a couple years it might just be a waste of money to do that.
Thanks @Coug !

I had considered linseed oil and that might be the trick. Thinned is even better so it can seep into the cracks a little better too. My "problem in need of a solution" is actually slabs of Red Oak.

Unfortunately, I think I hijacked the thread about the wooden 30 cal :-( OR maybe not since the discussion was "what have you done to your hmmwv today lately"

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks @Coug !

I had considered linseed oil and that might be the trick. Thinned is even better so it can seep into the cracks a little better too. My "problem in need of a solution" is actually slabs of Red Oak.

Unfortunately, I think I hijacked the thread about the wooden 30 cal :-( OR maybe not since the discussion was "what have you done to your hmmwv today lately"
I lose track sometimes with all the posts on here, so I was thinking about the plywood in the back of a truck for a snowmobile to sit on when I made my post.
boiled linseed oil has been used for generations to treat wood, so other than the cost there really isn't any reason why you can't use it today.
There are also plenty of commercial stains and wood treatments on the market, but really if something works why change?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks