• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a base that stores what they refer to as "reentry vehicles" so these are USMC security forces. I've seen both the red and the clear, but remember the clear might look clear but flash red - who knows. The license plates say USMC and "For official use only".

We corralled one of the contract maintenance guys and he had some really interesting tales of the way these vehicles are abused.
Cool and thanks for posting & follow up.

You are correct as lots of the newest leds out there are clear but flash in color. Heck my deck lights can light I think in 7 colors and different patterns.

Cool plate to have.....

Did some more sound deadening work today installed horse mat on the tunnel, bed, and one rear floor mat. Gonna need another 6x4 sheet if I don't want a bunch of little pieces on the floor mats.

Also used a dynamat like product on the oil pan and bell housing will see in the morning on cold start if it helps with the noise. I see it helping a little with noise reduction but I don't know if or for how long the dynamat will stay on there.

Reactions: OBX

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a few from the B-Roll:

First time I'd seen this setup.

GoLight.jpg

Arctic heater switch.

B Roll1.jpg

Lots of hole plugs in this dash and the air differential gauge is relocated.

B Roll2.jpg

Typical interior.

B Roll3.jpg

One of the nicer DRMO bound vehicles. Several got parked in the lot recently, some with two military antennas (all the others have /\/\otorola stubby antennas). These have batteries still, and when I rotated the start switch on a few of them the starter grabbed- I think it would have started easily but I try to keep a low profile when I'm looking them over.

B Roll4.jpg

EDIT to add: None in the DRMO lot have front winches, but almost all of them have the hydraulic rear winch.

Autonomy_Lost

Did some more sound deadening work today installed horse mat on the tunnel, bed, and one rear floor mat. Gonna need another 6x4 sheet if I don't want a bunch of little pieces on the floor mats.

Also used a dynamat like product on the oil pan and bell housing will see in the morning on cold start if it helps with the noise. I see it helping a little with noise reduction but I don't know if or for how long the dynamat will stay on there.
Let us know how it goes, I'd be shocked if dynamat will stay on the oil pan or bell housing. You have heat, wind, and gravity working against you.

By the way I'm working on a very similar project, just having installed horse stall mats on the tunnel and floor. I also installed kilmat (similar to dynamat) on the inside of the doghouse. These changes made a substantial difference in both engine noise and road noise.

As for the dog house, I removed the existing insulation which required drilling out rivets. Then i cleaned the inside of the fiberglass and installed kilmat. Then I reinstalled the original insulation using screws, nuts, and washers. But I sandwiched some soft foam between the killmat and the original insulatiin, just to help decouple it. I'm very happy with the results.

Let us know how it goes, I'd be shocked if dynamat will stay on the oil pan or bell housing. You have heat, wind, and gravity working against you.

By the way I'm working on a very similar project, just having installed horse stall mats on the tunnel and floor. I also installed kilmat (similar to dynamat) on the inside of the doghouse. These changes made a substantial difference in both engine noise and road noise.

As for the dog house, I removed the existing insulation which required drilling out rivets. Then i cleaned the inside of the fiberglass and installed kilmat. Then I reinstalled the original insulation using screws, nuts, and washers. But I sandwiched some soft foam between the killmat and the original insulatiin, just to help decouple it. I'm very happy with the results.
very similar I am also using kilmat and was thinking about doing almost the same thing with the dog house cover but going dog house/kilmat/stock rubber/MLV/foam
may have to put the MLV behind the rubber as it's heavy but would like to put in front.

today I added kilmat to the valve covers, back of the block, and top side of the bell housing.
also put some all the way around where the dog house rubber seals.

it's getting better all the time I can tell I'm getting more noise from where the steering staff goes through than by the dog house now.

Autonomy_lost have you removed the sheet metal cover behind the doghouse and below the windshield frame? I packed a bunch of rockwool insulation in there around the heater hose and kilmat the sheet metal on the hose side. That alone made a big difference

Last edited:

Autonomy_Lost

very similar I am also using kilmat and was thinking about doing almost the same thing with the dog house cover but going dog house/kilmat/stock rubber/MLV/foam
may have to put the MLV behind the rubber as it's heavy but would like to put in front.

today I added kilmat to the valve covers, back of the block, and top side of the bell housing.
also put some all the way around where the dog house rubber seals.

it's getting better all the time I can tell I'm getting more noise from where the steering staff goes through than by the dog house now.

Autonomy_lost have you removed the sheet metal cover behind the doghouse and below the windshield frame? I packed a bunch of rockwool insulation in there around the heater hose and kilmat the sheet metal on the hose side. That alone made a big difference
Not sure what cover you are talking about, got a picture?

Edit: oh that big heat shield thing? I havent touched that, might be a good idea though.

Not sure what cover you are talking about, got a picture?

Edit: oh that big heat shield thing? I havent touched that, might be a good idea though.
no picture but you have to remove the peice that the top of the dog house fastens to there are maybe 6 or 8 Phillips and than 3 nuts and bolts under the hood. knowing that should help you find the peice I'm talking about. all the empty space behind that shield is just a echo chamber.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a few from the B-Roll:

First time I'd seen this setup.

View attachment 917143

Arctic heater switch.

View attachment 917144

Lots of hole plugs in this dash and the air differential gauge is relocated.

View attachment 917145

Typical interior.

View attachment 917146

One of the nicer DRMO bound vehicles. Several got parked in the lot recently, some with two military antennas (all the others have /\/\otorola stubby antennas). These have batteries still, and when I rotated the start switch on a few of them the starter grabbed- I think it would have started easily but I try to keep a low profile when I'm looking them over.

View attachment 917147

EDIT to add: None in the DRMO lot have front winches, but almost all of them have the hydraulic rear winch.
all of these are M1114’s…

tired gluing mass loaded vinyl on the exterior inner fender area up front. used loctite PL 8x and used just a couple peices on one side straight vertical to see if it would hold.

it did not so I pulled it off and cleaned the area back up and will test 3m high strength spray adhesive on it tomorrow.

Hummer Guy

tired gluing mass loaded vinyl on the exterior inner fender area up front. used loctite PL 8x and used just a couple peices on one side straight vertical to see if it would hold.

it did not so I pulled it off and cleaned the area back up and will test 3m high strength spray adhesive on it tomorrow.

Attachments

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went into my HMMWV yesterday for the first time since November and to my horror a mouse or mice have been squatting in my damn truck. Some paper had been torn up and little raisin looking objects were visible.

In this day and age do I have to go through the courts or can I just put down some traps and dispatch the nasty rodents? I never gave any mouse or mice the authority to reside in my truck at any time. Don't think this is somehow political but these days you never know.

Mark

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Two words........EAR PLUGS.......... you are fighting a loosing battle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks