• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your MKT this week???

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, we now have a B17 and 3or 4 more smaller aircraft added to our fly in a couple of weeks. I don't want to make people stand up to eat so how do we sit them in the Covid era without spending all of our time disenfecting after each person finishes eating????? I am thinking of getting some a roll of butcher paper and handing a generous piece to each person to use as a place mat to eat on. No contact with the table!
James

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thursday I took the MKT to a friends house for a planning meeting for an annual trip we all take (there are normally 40-50 of us on the trip) Due to some of the restrictions we scaled back the event and came up with plans for meal prep and serving. None of them had seen the MKT and were blown away (previously we struggled to cook for 40-50 on a small stove in a cabin that had two burners and one small oven LOL). It was well received and we cooked pizzas in the oven for our meal. It was a lot of fun (sorry I forgot to take pictures).

Another Ahab

I don't want to make people stand up to eat so how do we sit them in the Covid era without spending all of our time disenfecting after each person finishes eating????? I am thinking of getting some a roll of butcher paper and handing a generous piece to each person to use as a place mat to eat on. No contact with the table!
James
That soundfs brilliant!

It's how crab feasts were handled in Maryland over this way (way before Covid crashed the party).

therooster2001

Ok, we now have a B17 and 3or 4 more smaller aircraft added to our fly in a couple of weeks. I don't want to make people stand up to eat so how do we sit them in the Covid era without spending all of our time disenfecting after each person finishes eating????? I am thinking of getting some a roll of butcher paper and handing a generous piece to each person to use as a place mat to eat on. No contact with the table!
James
The paper is a good start, but I assume this is in Arkansas from your location. The states guidance isn’t obvious from the website (edit: found it, in a Directives) and this was taken from their restaurant flyer, but I think you’ll have more challenges than what you think. I own two restaurants in Denver and it’s brutal. We’ve seen others do paper, and everything disposable, but it still doesn’t take away the need to sanitize everything when a person leaves, and it’s not just the table, it’s where they sat as well. We can’t have any self seating without our staff assuring the table has been sanitized. Unfortunately there is still limits to groups which in Arkansas is 10, and probably a total of a restaurant capacity which Is 33%) Those groups of tables will need to be distanced 10 feet for 6 foot spacing. You’ll need lots of gloves, and you cant allow “self service” items or even condiments out where multiple people can touch them, without throwing them away. Now this is guidance for restaurant, which you’re not, so even if you don’t get a visit from the health department, the worse they’ll do is ask you to stop. But news and social media is probably more damaging to the museum if this were to go sideways. If you try to ask permission you’ll be more locked into the guidance.

What sucks about this, is that you’re volunteering the MKT for good purposes, for probably no financial gain, at the benefit of the museum, but right now the COVID stuff is hyper sensitive.

Sanitizer is cheap, but still a cost. Get some in a spray bottle and just have someone in charge of the seating area cleaning detail.

Sorry to put a bit of a wet blanket on this, but I’ve been living this since March. DO have fun with the MKT and the planes, but don’t get yourself or the museum in trouble. It just takes following some more rules for now.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

It will pass, but will we be around to see it? That's the real question!
Here's what's helping me cope:

- My mother was a French war bride after WWII, she lived in Paris through (4) years of German Occupation

She didn't like talking about it, but she got through it, and I saw her happy years (after having lived through that nightmare).

So that's carrying me now. But I'll need a Plan B if this goes beyond (4) years...

davesgmc

what'd i do? put the extras up for sale:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the weekend, I set up the MKT at Kennedy Meadows to feed 30 of my buddies from college. We have been spending a weekend up here now for 24 years. Covid kept our numbers down as usually we have around 50 of us. Dinner Friday was tri tip, baked potato's, pasta salad and corn on the cob. Breakfast was eggs, bacon, country potato's, and French toast casserole. Saturday dinner was enchiladas, tacos, beans and rice. It was amazing to whip all that up and feed everyone. Most of my friends had no clue about the MKT (we had it set up before they all arrived) and were amazed. Lots of fun, and easy to get people to help clean up as they all wanted to see it. Next year it may be different.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Over the weekend, I set up the MKT at Kennedy Meadows Dinner Friday was tri tip, baked potato's, pasta salad and corn on the cob. Breakfast was eggs, bacon, country potato's, and French toast casserole.
You'll be the talk of that crowd forever!

"Country Potatoes" sounds mighty good, so please share how you make them, chop some onion in there with them and fry?

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the warm air has made me want to drag her out and open her up. I have a bunch of new goodies to add (thanks Mike!). I plan on dragging the MKT up to Plymouth on the 29th for the weekend and try and trade/sell some of the extra goodies I have acquired over the last year building my MKT. I have only been to that event once and only for a few hours but it looks great. Cant wait to be there for 3-4 days.

I have two of the new M59 field ovens to exchange out with the old ones I have inside, my travel covers were repaired and are ready to rehang, some new lights and a few other small goodies. I will post some pictures from Plymouth when I get home. I will set up in the fairgrounds area if anyone is going to be up there swing by for a visit. Might even try fire up the ovens and bake some goodies.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it sure has been a while since anyone posted on this thread. I will get it rolling. Friday, I brought my MKT out and set up for the local JR ROTC unit at Casa Roble High School. Cooked burgers, dogs, chili and beans. While all of that was cooking, fired up one of the ovens and baked two trays of brownies. One of the other local schools ROTC units was there as well and everyone loved it. Right after we set up, it began to rain and rain hard it did well past lunch, so the teardown was not much fun. Unfortunately, I was head chef, so no pictures. Looking forward to the next planned MKT adventure in April up at Camp Plymouth!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, next time you are cooking for the kids, try the chili-mac. Cook up the macaroni 6 lb in each of the 10 gallon pots, drain through the collander into a 15 gallon pot and put the drained mac into two square head pans (see post 212, pic #4), add two #10 cans of Chili-no-beans, and 64 oz of ketchup to each and stir them up well. Cover and place in the tops of your M-59's. When they start bubbling around the edges of the pan, sprinkle about two pounds of shredded cheese on top of each one. Serve when the cheese has melted. I've feed 80+ almost every year I cooked at the GA Rally and had leftovers that Kenny and Angie would fight over.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, next time you are cooking for the kids, try the chili-mac. Cook up the macaroni 6 lb in each of the 10 gallon pots, drain through the collander into a 15 gallon pot and put the drained mac into two square head pans (see post 212, pic #4), add two #10 cans of Chili-no-beans, and 64 oz of ketchup to each and stir them up well. Cover and place in the tops of your M-59's. When they start bubbling around the edges of the pan, sprinkle about two pounds of shredded cheese on top of each one. Serve when the cheese has melted. I've feed 80+ almost every year I cooked at the GA Rally and had leftovers that Kenny and Angie would fight over.
Plus 2 on Mike's chili-mac!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two sets of travel curtains that are in good shape except for the seams, the thread is just rotting away making them useless! I have tried having they resown but no go, too thick for all the local upholsters, even the leather guys won't touch them. I have seen several YouTube videos of a hand cranked leather sewing machine for about a $100. Has anyone tried to resew the vinyl covers with something like that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks