• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What I did for a stereo in my hmmwv

sully199

So I have 2 sons that kept bit@hing they want to listen to their classic rock, I purchased a sterio set up for a boat, painted it black and hung it, I have a speaker behind my sun visors, and on both sides of my AC unit, works and sounds great and it was inexpensive.

Attachments

Last edited:

papakb

Yeah but if you want to listen to anything while your driving your going to need about a 1000 watt amp. These things were never made for anything but mobility. ****, you can't even hold a conversation with your passenger at a normal level!

04mustang

It looks good. This is something I want to do with my truck.
Can you give us some details about it? What brand? 12V or 24V? and as has already been mentioned, how you wired it?
Thank you

sully199

The product I used was Pyle Marine AM/FM USB iPod Receiver Stereo + 4x 3.5" 200W Speakers + Housing, it is a Marine radio. Got it off of @bay.com. Its a 12 V system, you could just wire it to a battery, but I have mine wired into a Pulse Tech distribution box, got it off of Eb@y, it was less than $100, I believe. added more pictures above.

sully199

papakb, my HMMWV we are able to have a normal conversation in it. I have a great sound deadening system in it. Check out my other post from Wednesday.

04mustang

I am looking at going with this same setup but with 2 speakers instead of 4 and using a DC to DC converter instead of a distro box coming off of 1 of the batteries.
Any Idea what size converter I would need, in terms of amps?
This is really the only 12V thing I want to add to my truck, besides maybe a car cigarette type charger.

PACIFIC1

HMMWV Marine Radio install: Does anyone have tips on how they picked up 24v off of the ignition to power a 12v converter for a stereo?

Awol

They look great! I bet that system sounds good turned up!

Are those two 12's?

Bocephus

Its unbelievably loud and clear.

2- Kicker 12's
4 -Kicker 6x9's
4 -Kicker 5.5's

It drowns out the road noise pretty quick, lol.

Jnicks805

Similar solution, but went ceiling console for my 2 door

I almost ordered one of the those military guys ceiling consoles, but decided to make my own, the money went 2x as far and looks top notch. 4 6.5 kicker CSC speakers, Bluetooth 500w amp, dome light...etc used same carpeting I used for headliner, looks and sounds great, gets much louder than I'll ever need.

Build details can be found at:
www.cahistoricalhmmwvclub.com/forum/hmmwv-builds/2-door-hardtop-roof-console-w-stereo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks