• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What i plan on doing to a deuce

Burgerboy13

Well in the future once i get settled in and with some money on the side i plan on buying a deuce and tricking it out. I would like hear your opinions about them.

1. Hydro power steering
  2. 12V conversion
  3. A/C ( AZ is flipping hot)
  4. 5.9 Cummins diesel built to 350hp to 400hp ( a 6.7 would be sweet but way too many electronics to deal with)
  5. NV4500 or G56 6 speed for transmissions
  6. Water/meth injection ( probably will run mostly water to help with EGT's)
  7. Crew cab or extended cap ( never seen a extended cab before)
  8. extend the frame to keep the 12 ft bed ( or maybe chop the bed a little to 11 or 10ft and also keep it a 6x6)
  9. Full interior
  10. shaved door handles with door poppers
  11. Air ride seats in the front and bench seat in the back
  12. Completely redone dash with gps and nice stereo with backup camera
  13. maybe a redone brake system
my idea behind this is to make a truck that can haul anything a want and go anywhere i want. i would use it for camping and hauling off road vehicles. A lot of this has already been done before by other members and i would like to thank them for giving me the ideas and compliment them on their skills.

wsucougarx

Its always nice to dream big, life has a way of working out otherwise, my life anyway.
Ah yes, so true. I remember my pre-deuce honeymoon days. I had all the ideas in the world of what I was going to do to my deuce. However, lack of time and funds always seem to rear it's ugly head:roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between the Diablo and HRDs crew cab, just about everything on his list has been done.

AaronW

to modify or not........

There seem to be just as many schools of thought in regards to how to/if to modify a rig as there are truck owners. That is what makes for a healthy hobby. The good news is that there is room for all of us here. M34 trucks in general are plentiful enough now that radical modifications to a few will not really hurt the gene pool of stock trucks for purists and restorers.

For me, nothing(well, almost) gives me a bigger smile than jumping in my bare bones stock truck and heading down the highway. I do all sorts of things with my truck. I'm just as likely to use it as a parade truck, recovery vehicle, cargo hauler, errand runner, or just plain joy rider.

On any given day when the urge to take a drive hits me, I could grab the keys to my 03 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler equiped with power steering/plentiful HVAC controls/stereo system/axle locks/water proof cab/power brakes etc etc.....More often than not, I choose no keys and head out to the M35A2 in it's bone stock glory or my '48 CJ-2A or my '75 CJ-5. None of these rigs even have cup holders! I love it that way.

Some random thoughts on your mod list....just cause you asked for them.

1. How do you expect to really build arm strength? Actually my stock truck steers very easy if you just inch it fwd or back. The only thing I would scoff at would be parrallel parking in a city.
3. Riding around in a blazing hot cab gives me a moment of reflection on our troops stationed in hot climates. "Thanks guys and gals!"
5/6. you are gonna miss the multi....it has a unique sound and feel...very fun!
7. Troop seats work great for passengers. Maybe throw some seatbelts back there or just hard mount loveseats in the bed...hmmm
10. I do shave my door handles. I just tend to do it with a tree out on a trail. We have lots of pesky flora here in WA.
12. Part of the fun is taking the road less traveled. I like to try and get lost and attempt to find my way home a new way. This gives me more time to drive my simple truck in a hectic world.

As far as hauling anything anywhere....I think thats what the military used it for in it's current form.

All that being said.....I say "go for it" and give us lots of pics of the modifications.:-D

dc3coyote

I wont knock the GPS, that a useful tool, esp for anyone who has ever had the misfortune of asking me for directions or tried to follow me on a trail, some of the ones in Fl you cant see from one way,
Power steering, your kidding right, My Girlfriend drives the Pinz, Unimog, Dueces, with out a prob.
Back up camera, well it will look nice until its broken, then its a nice well...broke
As for AC I love mine its a 2/52 system, both windows down and 52 mph.
The trucks come with bench seats in the back, But Air ride is a great idea.
OK maybe I am a little old fashoned but I dont trust computers for anything esp like opening my doors..
but with some of this said, Good luck and post lots of pics, I say the same thing about the Diablo build, and its pretty cool.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

"NV4500 or G56 6 speed for transmissions"

I'm not too confident with the reliability and/or durability of this proposed modifcation.....Putting light-duty (wussy) drivetrain components into a medium or heavy truck chassis is a recipe for material failure. :razz:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do whatever you want, it is your truck. And Ditto on the pictures!!!

But if some sort of EMP occurs, better hope you have a soft top or the windows are rolled down, or your going nowhere in your deuce my friend.

m109guy

Sounds like a cool idea. But I hope you realize just how much work and money you are going to need to do just half those mods. I think it would be a lot cheaper and less work to just buy another type of truck that is closer to what you want.

Good luck. I hope you will be able to detail your conversion to help others that are thinking of doing the same thing.

wsucougarx

But think of what you would have actually done to that deuce Mike, had you stuck to just one truck! :p
LOL, so true Reub...so true. As I gazed at my flock last week I thought about what I needed to do to them. Then I realized, I can't spend any money on them....I need to keep saving up for a 109:p I guess I'm after quantity rather than quality in any one truck:roll:

Burgerboy13

Hi,

"NV4500 or G56 6 speed for transmissions"

I'm not too confident with the reliability and/or durability of this proposed modifcation.....Putting light-duty (wussy) drivetrain components into a medium or heavy truck chassis is a recipe for material failure. :razz:
The g56 is not a light duty transmission. Its a medium duty one made for Mercedes trucks i believe.

DMgunn

The g56 is not a light duty transmission. Its a medium duty one made for Mercedes trucks i believe.
Please don't start a transmission argument here - it's likely to quickly "devolve" into a thread very similar to that one from another dreamer awhile back......Mr. "I'm here to stay":roll:......what the heck was his name again?

Jakob

1. Hydro power steering
  2. 12V conversion
  3. A/C ( AZ is flipping hot)
  4. 5.9 Cummins diesel built to 350hp to 400hp ( a 6.7 would be sweet but way too many electronics to deal with)
  5. NV4500 or G56 6 speed for transmissions
  6. Water/meth injection ( probably will run mostly water to help with EGT's)
  7. Crew cab or extended cap ( never seen a extended cab before)
  8. extend the frame to keep the 12 ft bed ( or maybe chop the bed a little to 11 or 10ft and also keep it a 6x6)
  9. Full interior
  10. shaved door handles with door poppers
  11. Air ride seats in the front and bench seat in the back
  12. Completely redone dash with gps and nice stereo with backup camera
  13. maybe a redone brake system
That's a great list and I'll give my thoughts on each...
1) A nice option, but I wouldn't have it at the top of the list.
2) That would really simplify things if you're making it a daily driver.
3) Agreed, but with the multi it'll take some engineering.
4) This makes #1, #2, #3, and #5 much easier and I think would overall be a great first step to take.
5) I wouldn't worry too much about the transmission. You're just blowing money there IMO.
6) Unless you plan on hauling heavy loads on alot of hills, not worth the effort. I think water/ethanol injection is only good for racing and hauling.
7) Depends on how often you're going to be hauling more than 3 people?
8) I'd go with a cut down bed, at least 8ft with a crew cab. An ext. cab mod, either 10' or 12', depending how long the cab is. It's hard enough to drive these trucks without adding several foot to them.
9) Almost mandatory if you plan on having AC and feeling it at all.
10) Why?
11) A definite on the air ride seat and I assume you mean bench in the rear of a modified cab?
12) Assuming you converted over to 12v, I agree with everything except the backup camera. I guess it really depends on what you plan on doing with it. I haven't wished I had a camera, ever. A good set of mirrors is all you need.
13) This should be at the top of the list as well. Function over form, as the old saying goes.