• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is 90% tire depth of 14:00-R20 AT2A tires?

Artisan

What is 90% tire depth of 14:00-R20 AT2A tires? That is the question. I see lots of used tires and many sellers call them out at 90% or better, but what really is 90%? If I am to buy said I want to insure I am getting what I seek / my moneys worth. I started digging......... If you CLICK HERE you go to Goodyears site for the 14:00-R20 AT2A tires. At the bottom you see tread depth is called out in 32's of and inch, with a new tire at 30/32's of an inch deep tread depth. If we multiply 30 times (x) .9% it equals 27. So if the math is correct 27/32's of an inch is the minimum thread depth a tire should be if it is actually 90% or better tread depth. Elaborating, 1/32" = 0.03125" , so, 27/32" = .84375 (90%) and a NEW tire depth would be .9375" of tread depth for those who want to measure w/ a depth gauge but do not have a 32" reading tire tread depth tool, of which the MILTON No. 940 works well with these monsters because it has a very long anvil (if you will) . I would assume there is a standard spot on a tire where one would measure this, that being center of tire. I would expect an inflated tire might read a deeper tread depth than a non-inflated tire.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I sold tires for warranty adjustment purposes, we measured at 3 spots/treads across the tire and came up with an average in order to be fair to the customer. Some tires for many, many reasons are not worn the same across. Inflation should not make any difference.

Artisan

Hmmmmmmmm; brings up a good point. If you "average" then that would drop the highest point down a lot I would imagine...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't it be best to ask what 100% tread is?

New, 100% is 30/32".

Attachments

Artisan

Wouldn't it be best to ask what 100% tread is?

New, 100% is 30/32".
Yes, that was my first step actually. The Click Here link in post 1 covered that. I wanted to determine what 90% actually is. I am finding that the majority of folks do not know what 90% really is, especially sellers, seems like it is a black art of sorts eyballin' these monsters. This will help me and others when making a purchase. Some of those Milton tread depth tools are still available for cheap on Ebay. I have 2, one to mail to a seller to measure with and my own.