What is a “motor Pool” CJ5?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, that is the identical hardtop installed on my CJ5. However mine has sliding rear side windows.

m715

That is the same or almost the same as the one I had. The rear door as I remember had smaller glass. Those are better pics of the top than anything I have.

Lonesome715

Got it recovered. The data plate is illegible, where can I locate the VIN? Does anyone have photographs of the rims? I was planning on running 15's because I already have two sets of brand new 15 inch tire. Other than a 5 on 5 1/2 lug pattern I do not know much about them. And, were there any type of hub caps?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post pics.

Chief_919

Vehicles like that were assigned to the Transportation Motor Pool, or TMP. Every Army installation has a TMP, and units request use to vehicles either on a long-term basis or temporary as-needed basis.

Everything from small vehicles to buses.

So if a unit was temporarily visiting a base and needed vehicles they would request them from the TMP, or if a unit had a need for a vehicle the ones organically assigned did not meet they got them from the TMP. Or for a civilian staffed office like the base game warden they get them from the TMP.

The TMP has its own workers who maintained the vehicles, so if so the base game wardens Jeep needed maintenance they would just swap it for another one from the inventory.

Lonesome715

I remember signing out a very vehicles from the TMP many moon ago. I have not thought about it much though. Sure would be nice ot know the history of this one.

jeepsguy

The army had CJ-5's in Korea for TMP vehicles. My unit had one signed out for daily message delivery. The battery was on the firewall and it had a govt. purchase/warranty sticker on the dash. It had a hardtop.

fasttruck

In 1971 while serving at Ft. Benning GA as a staff duty officer driver my ride was a 1970 IH Scout. Later the NJARNG had some early 80's CJ 5s with a Meyer cab painted sedan colors. 6 cylinder AMC engine, 3 speed. Not used too much as staff weenies didn't appreciate manual transmission. Somebody got a deal when that one went up for auction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks