• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a “motor Pool” CJ5?

m715

That is the same or almost the same as the one I had. The rear door as I remember had smaller glass. Those are better pics of the top than anything I have.

Lonesome715

Got it recovered. The data plate is illegible, where can I locate the VIN? Does anyone have photographs of the rims? I was planning on running 15's because I already have two sets of brand new 15 inch tire. Other than a 5 on 5 1/2 lug pattern I do not know much about them. And, were there any type of hub caps?

Chief_919

Vehicles like that were assigned to the Transportation Motor Pool, or TMP. Every Army installation has a TMP, and units request use to vehicles either on a long-term basis or temporary as-needed basis.

Everything from small vehicles to buses.

So if a unit was temporarily visiting a base and needed vehicles they would request them from the TMP, or if a unit had a need for a vehicle the ones organically assigned did not meet they got them from the TMP. Or for a civilian staffed office like the base game warden they get them from the TMP.

The TMP has its own workers who maintained the vehicles, so if so the base game wardens Jeep needed maintenance they would just swap it for another one from the inventory.

jeepsguy

The army had CJ-5's in Korea for TMP vehicles. My unit had one signed out for daily message delivery. The battery was on the firewall and it had a govt. purchase/warranty sticker on the dash. It had a hardtop.

fasttruck

In 1971 while serving at Ft. Benning GA as a staff duty officer driver my ride was a 1970 IH Scout. Later the NJARNG had some early 80's CJ 5s with a Meyer cab painted sedan colors. 6 cylinder AMC engine, 3 speed. Not used too much as staff weenies didn't appreciate manual transmission. Somebody got a deal when that one went up for auction.

JEB

During my career, 1981 - 2001, the only USAF Jeep I was was a CJ-8 open bed pickup with fiberglass half cab, assigned to the base communications squadron.

if you go online, there is a shot of a CJ-5 (complete with tailgate) on a flightline during the Vietnam era....you can tell by the aircraft paint.

I can totally believe the USAF used 5 & 7s for base security work. At my base they used 2wd pickups, but at a SAC base in the dreaded "Northern tier", I'm sure they wanted 4wd.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CDN forces used CJ7s for a few years for service vehicles in the years between the M38A1 and the Iltiis. They had the 6 Cyl. standard transmission. The only mod to the unit was the green paint and they had a 12 Volt to 24 Volt converter under the front passenger seat with a Nato slave plug there.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize how old the post is , just weighing in on my sightings .. In the late-70's at FLW Missouri , BDE-level motor pools had 1960's-70's basic-model CJ5's painted OD with "US Army" decal on the doors with a registration number below it. The brigade info wasn't always painted on the bumper, but it would be accompanied with "TMP-2" , or 3 , or whatever assigned roster number on the other half of the bumper. (TMP= Transportation Motor Pool). Sometimes the data was not on the doors but upon a sort of white "license plate" front and back. This depended on the unit, base, and era. Around 1980 or so one could find CJ5's of 1970's-80's vintage painted "interior green" as seen on the interior of armor and busses, and on sedans by then. By 1984 these interior-green jeeps were still around but I did see a couple CJ's painted white with black "US Army" on the doors with regis number .. The ones I saw had full hardtops. During my time with ENGR and Armor I don't recall any CJ7's but that isn't saying the army didn't have them

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
This was, and is, a common practice here in Europe. The Army, anyway, found out that they needed lots of hours and miles on the road, and using Military vehicles was a real problem. For instance, a Post HQ, needs to send folks all over the place, to provide all kinds of services, 24/7, and 365 days a year. A Post HQ is not a unit. So its not authorized Military vehicles. Another case, we ran a courier service between our ADA Battery, and our Battalion HQ, and to varies other higher HQ's, almost every day. Distribution of info, forms, Military correspondence , or "Distro", was a never ending job. Normally, 1-2 people, (in a company) were detached from normal duty's, to do just that. All they did was drive all over the place, delivering and picking up stuff. We started using VW buses, for such work. Or for picking up and delivering parts. We had another 1-2 guys, just for that. ADA is a fast paced, maintenance heavy, spare parts bottomless pit. They might make 3-5 trips to places, every day of the week. Or more. And they might drive 500-600 miles a day, no problem. For big things we used 2 1/2 ton and 5 Ton trucks. But for everything else, VW vans. There were lots of other types of vehicles in the Post Motor Pool that were "Issued" out to units needing them. Sedans, CJ's, VW Golf's and Busses, Civi Wrecker, Tankers and who knows what else. Not one of these vehicles had a data plate. The Post Motor Pool was responsable for them. Everything from maintenance to cleaning them. Sedans were for driving around O-5 and above around, MPI, CID and other folks. The Civi Guard Force drove CJ's for a while in Graf. Most of these vehicles were driven until the wheels fell off and then sold at DRMO.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Post HQ is not a unit. So its not authorized Military vehicles.
correct ! You mentioned civvy wreckers, the BDE HQ maint shop at FLW, Mo was using a late-60's-early-70's IH Paystar (2070A) wrecker in OD-green when I was stationed there .. Base-support motor pools were full of 1960's-70's IH cargo (stake flatbeds) from 3/4-ton (1210's) on up to what they called a 5-ton (Loadstar 1700's-1900's) , and Paystar tractor trucks. There were a handful of chevy C20 and C30 stake flatbeds in the mix. And of course the busses, sedans, chevy and dodge passenger vans, and back on subject, some CJ5's.. Tactical vehicles could only be found with the Engr and S&S units on the base and the AIT brigades at the time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks