• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a “motor Pool” CJ5?

Lonesome715

I just picked up what I thought was a CJ5 painted OD green. But the owner states it was indeed a military owned CJ and was used in place of “tactical Vehicles” for on base duties. I am not saying he is wrong, but I have not heard of a military CJ. To me, it looks like a Civilian Jeep someone tried to make look like a M38A1. Any thoughts on this?

And yes, I will post photographs when I pick it up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a military data tag/dash sticker?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 7 or 5?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a CJ5 w/ a hard top issued to the USMC. Has a brass data plate on the dash. Waiting restoration.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Crismon military vehicles book documents CJ-5s used as rear echelon support vehicles.

Lonesome715

I wonder if there is anything different about them. I also wonder how many were used. If this is a rare Jeep, I do not want to mess it up with the plans I had

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were used in some numbers "off the shelf" (ie, stock civilian, no military mods other than paint and items like fire extinguishers) by almost all the services.
The USAF used a lot of them, particularly the Air/Security Police.
Same for CJ-7 and other civvy trucks.

Cheers

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M890 series was used almost exclusively as rear echelon, CONUS, or non-tactical use. Plenty of staff cars and such too. No reason why a Jeep wouldn't end up as a possible vehicle. Especially considering the mechanics probably were better versed on fixing them than other vehicles.

just me

I've seen one CJ6 that was used by the Air Force as a flight line crew vehicle because of the longer wheelbase. So, I wouldn't be surprised by a CJ5 that was military owned. After all, they used K-Cars for Military Police!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks