• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a “motor Pool” CJ5?

m715

I had a us army 1980 or 81 cj it had a hardtop made by orville spc. pro. It was od green from the factory even the firewall under the hood.It had us army and white star on the hood. It did not have data plates but had a warranty sticker on the dash. In the glove box was a sticker saying bought by the GSA. The truck had a 4 cylinder iron duke with a sr5 4 speed.The hard top was nothing like a civ. model.

Jericho

There were quite a few floating around the USAF for a while! I have one, although it was in fact one that was used by the US ARMY at Spangdalem AB in Germany in the Air Defense ARMY unit. They called it a motor pool jeep and it was kind of the bastard step child, you could see someone different every day driving it, When they rolled up and pulled out of Spang overnight I bought it at the DERMO at BITBURG AB , CUCVs were 100 $ all day long, so many they drove over them in long lines with an M 88 tank retrievier, because they couldn't sell them. M 35s were $800 , it was the best 500 dollars I spent , drove it a couple of years in Germany then shipped it back when I retired, still have it .I had done a frame up resto mod , all my kids learned to drive in it and had their first fender bender I it . Needless to say I haven't cranked it in 18 years, still in the garage since the last little DENT , needs a rebuild , but still has nice bones!

m715

I do have some pics of the jeep, I dont remember any of just the top but will look for you. I may still have the the parts that went from the windshield frame to the hard top.I sold the jeep years ago to a young kid who never came back for the parts. I do still have a spare sr4 tranny.

m715

The military top looked well military, more boxy than a civi top. The windshield frame was the same but used a sheet metal part between it and the top.

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up here in Canada, many Reserve units had CJ-7's in the mid to late '80's. They had the in-line 6 258 cubic inch engine mated to a 5 speed. As for military equipment added to them, there was a 12 to 14 voltage converter bolted under drivers seat, a radio rack mounted on one of the rear fender wells, and a fire extinguisher installed on the opposite rear wheel well. Here is a photo of a few CJ-7 in the foreground on exercise in Camp Farnham, Quebec. On a side note, they didn't even have off road tires on them, just 4 seasons.Picture1.jpg

Lonesome715

I was thinking it would look like Some of the Postal Hard tops I have seen on CJ Jeeps they have used in the past.

That is a neat picture.

just me

The rust isn't an issue. It is in Arizona. So long as he keeps it in a garage so the occasional sprinkle doesn't touch it, it should last. There is noticeable aging to the plastics and rubber. But the owner wasn't going to do anything to "restore" that as this is an original car. You can restore one a hundred times, but they are only original once. I hope he has it at our show next week at Tempe Diablo Stadium. Last year we had a line of enclosed military personnel carriers from a '30's Chevrolet to a late 90's Ex AF Dodge van. The 9 passenger carry-all from the '50's was too cool. We usually get a decent row of ex military staff cars from the 40's to 60's.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pictures of a military CJ-5 with a hard top. These came from a for 'sale ad' on the net a couple or so years ago.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks