• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a good mobile set up for using my MEP 803A

rtrask

There has to be a number of threads on this, but I have not been able to locate one. So I apologize in advance.

What I am looking for is an appropriate way to use the generator when in the back country, a hunting camp for example. Rather than every body running their own noisy generator I could supply the camp with enough power for 2 or more trailers and the mess area.

I know I need a ground rod for the trailer mounted MEP. But what I was thinking was mounting a breaker box on some kind of stand and run some outdoor romex to provide outlets around the camp.

I know safety is a concern, but I think that can be managed.

Any thoughts?

nextalcupfan

My setup is an outdoor rated Sub-Panel mounted to the side of the unit. Amazon Link to Sub-Panel
2 NEMA 6-50R's on 50 amp breakers (240V)(Bottom Left 2)
1 NEMA 14-50R on a 50 amp breaker (240V)(Bottom Right most)
2 NEMA 5-20R's on 20 amp breakers (120V)(Mounted in a separate box on top)

Specifically in your case I would go with 3 NEMA 14-50R's because they can run both 120V and 240V circuits with the proper adapters.
Amazon Link for NEMA 14-50 to dual RV adapter.
OR you could go with 3 NEMA TT-30's because thats what most RV's use for power.

You may need to be a little careful with how you set it up, because as far as I know trailers and RV's ONLY use 120V.
So it's possible to overload 1 leg if you have the generator set to 120/240V.

As a side note I honestly think depending on how many AC's are running an 803a could probably run 3-5 trailers with no issue.

Video of my setup.

Attachments

Last edited:

JD4044M

Before my suggestion gets hammered. How much money do you want to spend, Is your Generator Hard Wired or do you have multiple outlets of different amperage and voltages? Are you supplying power to RVs 30 amp or 50 amp 120 volts. 40 ft RV's just some campers needing lights at night. Cheaper to build your own but there are $1,800.00 plus set ups out there down to a couple hundred dollars. There are also Military set ups if you want if like what they used to stay original? What do you have for a generator. I used to run 60KW 3 phase for LZ Blackhawk and 2- 125 KW Generators for Camp Dillard's Base Power. Set up Gas Stations for back up power a hospital and many home units. You sounded like you want to not spend a fortune and Cords are the best way price wise. Here is a picture of my 4 -125 KW Generators 2 were standby for service. B40 Wire for Rocket in front of them. Spent 6 months hearing these babies!! The other picture is my 60 KW (not so good) with my fuel pod I had to keep full. Slept 5 ft from this one at night it ran 24 hours a day for 6 months.100_2408 (640x314).jpg100_2397 (640x479).jpg

Last edited:

212sparky

I have an mep004a and what I have done is mount a 100 amp 3r panel to a moving dolly so it is portable. Then have plugs on the side that drop cords plug in to spread out the power. I am out of town and get home Tuesday and can post pictures then. I have used this set up at a few haspin rallys and powered alot of it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JD4044M

That is a nice generator I am a little jealous I don't have it! Looks like it has a 208 wild leg, 2 -120 volt legs and Single & 3 phase 240. Very useful for motors too. Just buy a 3 ph 100 amp panel and take your circuits out of it you need.3 ph 100 A Panel

Last edited:

Zed254

...., but extension cords going all over. ....
It's temporary power. My neighbors love my spider box during a power outage and have no problem with a drop cord running along the ground to their homes. You may need to get an electrician into your hunting camp to install an underground power grid with above ground receptacles at each camper location. 120volt vs 240volt campers will be problematic for load balance: my small camper has a 120 volt breaker box, so I switch my 802A to single phase 120 and supply power with a drop cord running on the ground from the generator to the camper. And I'm WAY overpowered......

JD4044M

You can always use a 4/wire cord and every other junction box alternate between the legs to balance the neutral load. Then at each box you could have 240VAC if needed or both. Then run the wild leg 208 out on a 4way cord for 240 volt only to put it into use for 240 volt loads. That way you pretty much balance the neutral load and 3 hot legs off the generator for the best use of the power. But knowing you need to ask these questions it would be better for a electrician to set it up for you. I hate trying to tell people how to do dangerous electrical stuff when done wrong over the internet. Been doing electrical work for over 40 years and seen a lot of dangerously done wiring! Worst was lamp Zip Cord run under carpeting to feed lots of plugs tapped into the 60 Fuse Disconnect on a old panel. They thought it was OK, I ripped it out so I could sleep better that night.

Scoobyshep

What is a "208 Wild leg"?

Thats when you have an open or closed delta winding. line to line will be 240 all around (L1-L2, L2-L3, L3-L1) and line to ground on L1 and L3 will be 120 L2 to ground will be 208. which is your high leg or wild leg. Wild leg is more commonly used with an open delta configuration as it tends to be more unstable.

JD4044M

The 208 leg is because the way the Neutral is tapped. A "Y" system taps in the center and Delta System taps it in the middle of a winding which causes a unequal (higher) voltage on one leg to the neutral tap. Think of the Delta as a Triangle of windings then Tap off the middle of one. You get a higher voltage going to the neutral thru 1 1/2 windings then you get thru the 2 winding that are shorter. Can't think of another way to put it. I will look for a picture of the 2 ways.

JD4044M

Wye. The Delta configuration has the three phases connected like a triangle. Delta systems have four wires total: three hot wires and one ground wire. Wye systems utilize a star configuration, with all three hot wires connected at a single neutral point. When the Delta System is tapped in the middle of a winding for the neutral you get a higher voltage on one point the furtest from the neutral tap.
.Delta and Y.png3_phase_4_wire_delta_240.png

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks