• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a good mobile set up for using my MEP 803A

JD4044M

See what happens when you try to explain electrical stuff? Starts out want to know about a cord set up, then under ground wiring, Panel set ups to explaining windings and the original post is out in left field and we never get a answer on what they decided to do?

rtrask

My setup is an outdoor rated Sub-Panel mounted to the side of the unit. Amazon Link to Sub-Panel
2 NEMA 6-50R's on 50 amp breakers (240V)(Bottom Left 2)
1 NEMA 14-50R on a 50 amp breaker (240V)(Bottom Right most)
2 NEMA 5-20R's on 20 amp breakers (120V)(Mounted in a separate box on top)

Specifically in your case I would go with 3 NEMA 14-50R's because they can run both 120V and 240V circuits with the proper adapters.
Amazon Link for NEMA 14-50 to dual RV adapter.
OR you could go with 3 NEMA TT-30's because thats what most RV's use for power.

You may need to be a little careful with how you set it up, because as far as I know trailers and RV's ONLY use 120V.
So it's possible to overload 1 leg if you have the generator set to 120/240V.

As a side note I honestly think depending on how many AC's are running an 803a could probably run 3-5 trailers with no issue.

Video of my setup.
This is similar to what I had in mind, but I was thinking about running out door romex and creating a outlet on a post closer to each trailer. The consensus seems to be to just use regular extension cords.

What gauge of wire did you use to connect the Sub-Panel to the generator?

The time of year we will be hunting AC will not be needed. I am sure you are right that I could support more RVs but beyond 3, is probably too many people in one camp.

nextalcupfan

5 feet of 4/4 600V SEOOW Cable. Link to the exact cable I bought
First pic shows the sub-panel wire going right, and the wire going to my house ATS going left.
Second is inside the sub-panel.

Small word of caution, if you intend to get the exact panel I used the ground bar won't accept 4ga wire, and a lug adapter will take up 2 spots. (there are only 5 total)
I ended up getting a bigger ground bar and ground/neutral lug adapter for mine.

Attachments

Scoobyshep

4 is a bit overkill, but it wont harm anything in your setup if you ground the generator make sure the neutral and ground are bonded together at the generator and only at the generator.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nextalcupfan

I agree 4 is overkill, 6 probably makes more sense. You could even probably get away with 8.
I just went with the absolute worst case scenario and went up a size.

Scoobyshep

This is similar to what I had in mind, but I was thinking about running out door romex and creating a outlet on a post closer to each trailer. The consensus seems to be to just use regular extension cords.

What gauge of wire did you use to connect the Sub-Panel to the generator?

The time of year we will be hunting AC will not be needed. I am sure you are right that I could support more RVs but beyond 3, is probably too many people in one camp.
Do yourself a favor and use so cord or extention cords. Romex is a bitch to roll up

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
First, because you want to be mobile, and always rolling up and putting it away, and then putting it out again, use proper heavy duty cord. The W type cord is preferred. A good 6 AWG 4C Type W Portable Power Cable. You will want a spider box to do all this properly. Stay with your standard single phase 120/240. For what your wanting to do, stay away from doing it 3 phase. Yes, it can be done, but with what, and how your asking... might be beyond your experience.
Stay with some standards. A 30 amp 120/240 twist lock would be a good standard to use to connect RV's. The other concern would be the smaller RV's which only do 120v connections.

212sparky

Here is my set up on my mep004, I have cam lock cables and a 30 amp 120/208 1 phase feed off the unit. I have 1 panel with 4 branch plugs and a rv connector for small outings. If it is a big gathering I have the cam lock cables that feed a 3 phase panel and can spider out to the smaller panels and feed larger loads from it. The spider panels are set up to take my smaller flex cords that have 20 amp duplex receptacles that have 2 circuits per box. I plug in gfci pig tails as needed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

212sparky

Wow quite the set up to put out a pick up. Almost like a Carnival set up for rides and booths. Sure is a good way to make use of a generator.
I used to power the haspin spring rally, I could have power laid out in 3 hours and picked back up in 2 hours. It is modular and comes on handy. I use parts of it to power my Christmas lights as well. Last I checked I have over 7,000 feet of so cord sets in my inventory.

Scoobyshep

I used to power the haspin spring rally, I could have power laid out in 3 hours and picked back up in 2 hours. It is modular and comes on handy. I use parts of it to power my Christmas lights as well. Last I checked I have over 7,000 feet of so cord sets in my inventory.

Please be careful with cams. Had one of our electricians killed when he goofed. Long story but they had this really bad practice of tape marking cams.

212sparky

Please be careful with cams. Had one of our electricians killed when he goofed. Long story but they had this really bad practice of tape marking cams.

I have them spray painted because I don't trust tape. The interconnect cables have colored ends as well. I am the only one that hooks them up and I put tape on them once they are connected and zip ties to keep curious people from messing with them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks