• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a HEMTT really worth?

jpinst

What is a 1983 HEMTT without a crane really worth? I have seen some really, really nice restoration jobs go for less than $65K...

Are there more out there that are for sale?

Thanks in advance

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of HEMTT are you after? That might affect the price. I have seen serious projects go as cheaply as $20K and cherry trucks go upwards of $100K. I know where a wrecker is right now...but the guy wants a rediculous $250K!!! Plan on spending $50K or more for a running and driving truck. If you want a cherry truck, plan on $75K or more.

By the way, just curious...where have you seen really nice restoration jobs go for less than $65K? If that is accurate, that is cheap for a cherry truck. The only restored HEMTT that I have seen for sale in recent memory is Damon's truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce,

Who is selling a wrecker for $250K? Just curious, as I figure if he's charging that much for it, it's best I stay away from any deals from that seller in the future. Just because an item is rare or uncommon doesn't make it worth a lot of money.

Come to think of it, $250K may be the retail price to the government for these rigs, so perhaps the seller is hoping Uncle Sam gives him some business in this down economy.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
anybody know what the government pays for a NEW outfitted HEMTT wrecker

WyoDeuce

It's all suply and demand. The suply is allmost zero so any demand will raise the price. Even if the govt. pays $250k if there are no trucks for sale a rich guy might pay more to get one. Your $250k seller is just putting it out there in case a big fish with deep pockets comes along.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uncle pats $379,000 per copy for the M984A2 HEMTT wrecker..

FTI, all military trucks come "fully equiped" with all their BII. There is no such thing as buying a new truck without the BII as far as Uncle Sam is concerned...

For more "new truck prices" look here.. It is an accurate list. T

Stalwart

By the way, just curious...where have you seen really nice restoration jobs go for less than $65K? If that is accurate, that is cheap for a cherry truck. The only restored HEMTT that I have seen for sale in recent memory is Damon's truck.
Agreed above, what someone is willing to pay and the seller will accept. Damon and I found that magic number, we are still friends after the deal. :grin:

And that one wasn't quite finished, we are working on that. Damon stopped short of rebuilding the sides as he liked it as a flat bed, we decided that spending a fairly large chunk of change to make new ones was worth the cost, now that Damon has seen the new sides he stated: "In hindsight, I think if I had seen pics like these, I would have done exactly the same thing."

The new sides are nearly done, I have a few seals left to replace and the final major assembly is refurbishing the engine "dog house." Will it ever be done? Perhaps but I have a few months or years left depending on how picky I am. One thing I do know, it won't be for sale it, sits beside my fully rebuilt Alvis Scorpion as my favorite vehicle.

Damon did a fine job on the truck, but he understands that the new owner might take it further, I still like to bounce any changes off him, I like his input and insights. Lots of little mods left to do but those are still in the planning stages, all are small and are things that Oshkosh might have done or did do on later trucks.

A/C would be nice but I'd prefer to use the HEMTT specific unit, the HMMWV one has a few drawbacks. For now, it's gonna rely on open windows and the LVS, "pop-up" and sliding roof that Damon installed.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
STALWART, you know when you will sell it? :wink: When I sell my M983 tractor that has a zero mile motor and will have a rebuilt tranny in it, and you can use that truck to haul your Stalwart around! Seriously though, I am not sure I will sell my HEMTT any time soon. I say that, but I know I felt similarly before I sold my fully stock 10K mile M977 to a collector in KY. He actually had a HEMTT that was put together, but wanted my truck. Who knows what will happen. My plan is to keep it, but I might sell it if something really interesting comes up!

By the way, Damon did a great job on your truck and you are doing nice work to enhance it!

Stalwart

I don't know Bruce, I'm kinda liking the cargo version, it'll come in REAL handy for our 6 days of the Arlington Airshow 2010. My wife packs like we are staying for a month and we would fill an S250 shelter to the roof, not including 3-4 huge coolers that had to ride on the trailer. I think the cargo box with a cover will be REALLY handy for packing stuff in and out.

All 5 of the Stalwarts are going to go when I get time to get them all out and running, mainly just batteries, fresh fuel and fluids. I've done the amphibian thing, we are just going to stick to 4 generations of British Recon Vehicles, the V100 and the HEMTT. There is nothing else I want except a helicopter and I probably shouldn't do that, they are worse than a boat for eating money.

Thanks for the nice words, we want to slowly enhance the HEMTT with the attention to the quality work Damon did. He'd probably kill me if I mucked up his ol' girl.:wink:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to David Doyle's U.S. Military Vehicles Field Guide - WWII to Present a 977 basket case is valued at $3k (#6 condition), a very good, complete driver is $27k (#3 condition), and a perfect condition vehicle $65k (#1).

He has the 978 and 984 listed at the same values. Of course one of his caveats is that if there aren't enough of them selling it's tough to nail down a value.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MKCOEN: I would tell David Doyle this to his face...and he is a GOOD friend of mine...those prices are WRONG! Go find ANY HEMTT in ANY condition for $3K and I might buy it! The axles and cab are worth that, let alone any motor or transmission or other good body parts.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just quoting the book. I don't own one and haven't priced one. As most people know something is worth what one person is willing to ask and another is willing to give. That being said, people have to have a basis to start wondering vs "it's $250,000."

Stalwart

From our correspondence I know David to be a nice guy, from his many articles I believe he's well researched but those prices don't reflect reality.

Stalwart

$250,000 is crazy to me, but so are M3 & M5 Stuarts $ 150K. I had an appraisal done on my HEMTT for insurance purposes, I was hoping to get a number about what I paid, it came back a 20% higher than I had hoped.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For extra HEMTT credit, whats the difference between the M977 and the M985?

HEMTT cargos are becoming a rare species today, even in the Army.. They are all getting converted to HEMTT LHS.

Stalwart

For extra HEMTT credit, whats the difference between the M977 and the M985?

HEMTT cargos are becoming a rare species today, even in the Army.. They are all getting converted to HEMTT LHS.
Heavier duty crane is all I can tell and I believe all 985's have been upgraded from the 4 speed to the 5 speed Allison, like mine has, but I cannot confirm this.

Nonotagain

I find the $379K price tag a little low when it comes to the cost of a new HEMTT.

On road heavy duty wreckers routinely cost over $300K, so I’m somewhat surprised that a HEMTT wrecker is only $379K.

Would anyone know of a reason why the HEMTT A3 uses disc brakes while the larger higher horsepower A4 only has drum brakes?

Also, the A3 is listed as having a 470 hp diesel (I think it's still a Detroit/MTU) while the A4 uses a Cat 15.2 liter diesel with a couple of horsepower ratings.