• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a pyro do I need one

Status
Not open for further replies.

panzerjunky

What is a pyro
( other than me on the 4th of July):-D what does it do where do you get them and is there a good thread on install?
Thanks Jerry

Maverick1701

If its anything like the pyro on my 96 powerstroke you just drill and tap somewhere PRE-TURBO, screw it in and wire it up.

and yes its a good idea to have one (if your truck has a turbo) because if she runs too hot you can melt thing, damage things etc. On the powerstroke it really screws up your turbo and long enough or enough times running w/high temps it causes serious motor trouble.

scrapman

A pyrometer measures Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT). EGT will rise and fall in direct correlation with the amount of fuel delivered & load resistance on the engine. Installation is not very difficult if you are mechanically inclined. Drill, tap, thread in probe & connect 2 wires. First timers quite often are done in less than 2 1/2 hours. You would place the probe before the turbo into the exhaust manifold. you use the pyro to adjust your fuel rate. As you add fuel the EGT & boost climb accordingly. Most of the engines that I have turned the fuel up on will run at 1100*& 10 lbs boost under full load. 0-1000* no worries 1000*-1200* you are in the minefield, dance gracefully. 1200*+ better have your walking shoes on. PM me I have pyros. Pictures attached of what I have & to show where to mount the probe in the manifold.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rattlewagon

I personally like the pyro's with the colored scale on them. We have a pyro in one of our International DT466's like that. makes it real easy to see if you are getting carried away at a glance.

dan

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I try my best to give back SOME of what I've gotten from this site. It is our members that make it great.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you like to experiment a little, just get the K-type thermocouple installed and using your DVM (I assume everybody has one these days) with an adapter.
The digital read out will give you a fast accurate response and show how many peaks are actually averaged out on an analog display.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, Rudness like in the above posts, will not me tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.