• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is attached to the front of this M37?

Dalton

I am lucky enough to have a photo of my late father-in-law standing alongside an M37 when he was in the Navy during the late 1950’s. He told me numerous times how he enjoyed driving it around the desert at White Sands, MN. He saw huge areas of the desert that had been turned to glass by the nuclear explosions.

A question I have is what is the attachment on the front? I’m thinking that it might be a small crane. Basically a tripod with a pulley at the end, so the winch could be used to lift something and move it around, lower a guy down into a hole (like you see with utility workers), remove a heavy cement or metal cover from hole, or whatever. Imagine lifting a cover off of an underground compartment and then backing away to get access to the compartment. This is just speculation of course.

Attachments

Last edited:

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like a lift rig, there is a picture of one in some of the manuals to use in raising something else... like a small crane...

Last edited:

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black type fixed.

Does anyone happen to know which manual I might find this in?
the picture in the operators manual is actually one to raise the front end up for changing the tire.. so its not a stretch... to be honest this type of farmers crane is quite common here in bama.. we had one on a hummer when i was in the army...

AGE|kshaufl

It is a winch crane. Basically a V shape with a block pully at the top. The winch wire runs through the block pully and lifts whatever with the winch. Typically there are weights added to the back of the lifting vehicle.

You can find this set up for most military vehicles. Now I tried to find a good picture of one with no luck. I will look through my stuff at home.

Last edited:

Dodge man

Oh for crying out loud! It's NOT a gin-pole! A gin-pole uses a single pole. This is an A-frame. See TM 5-725 'Rigging' for a description of these and other lifting devices. See E-bay item number 130486077013 for a copy of the manual for the A-frame of the M-37. They also make one for the Deuce and there's several threads on this forum about using one on the Deuce. It's also covered in one of the Deuce manuals. These were more common on the Canadian M-37s that the US ones. This site, CFR, has a number of pictures of the Canadian M-37s and several pictures of the A-frames. Truck number 40501 has excellent pictures of a mounted A-frame.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

The A-frame in the picture in this thread appears to have an extra third leg that's anchored somewhere on the RH side of the truck so it's probably a non-issue, scratch built unit. Actually since it has a third leg it could more properly be called a Tripod and not an A-frame but I'm going to call it an A-frame anyway since it appears that they're using the third leg to carry the tension load and not as a support member. (In a tripod the legs are all the same length and the lift point is centered between the legs.) In a standard A-frame they use a cable anchored to the pintle hitch to carry the tension as shown the Canadian pictures.

KsM715

Geeze no need to get upset.

However the poles of the A frame are called gin poles. This is from the Deuce -10 TM

Its hard to read but if you see line 12 it clearly says the ginpoles are positioned to make the a frame

Attachments

Last edited:

sparky78

I saw some pictures on a Dodge power wagon web site . Some were light duty and telephone repair trucks based on power wagon had large heavy duty units .

Oldfart

Now Y'all have me looking through my old photos for the lift rig I built for my M37 way back in the late 60's. I made it out of 1" box tubing and trussed two tubes together and joined the two pairs at the top with a loop to hang my snatch block. It set on the front bumper lift brackets and was held there by the lift shackles. I ran a couple of 1/4 inch cables back to a rod slid through the tailgate hinges to support the weight of the boom and what I was lifting. It held pretty fair weight (about 1/2 ton). I had a spreader bar to push the cables outside the cab so they did not rub on anything. I mostly used it to pick up logs and drop them in my M101 to haul home for firewood. ~~~ The photo shows the "A" frame as attached somewhere outside the frame and at an angle that would end about the axle. I agree it looks pretty light duty.

Oldfart

I finally asked my brother-in-law (Moosetracks) for some of his photos of the boom on the front of his M37. Since I built the boom I moved to the farm and now have ready access to tractors and skid steers that I can lift with. Moosetracks uses the boom to move logs to cut for firewood as I did (see photos of his son and grandson in action) as well as moving snowmobiles etc. around his property.

Attachments

A

A/C Cages

I used an A-Frame and winch to change out an engine in the field once. Wow it was easy too.
We had one with a bad engine and stole the engine out of a truck who had its butt litterly blown off.

emr

The thing in the PIC IS NOT an A FRAME AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) it is something added at unit level for something they needed, it is wayyyy to light to use with the winch for sure !!! and an A frame is attached at the lifting shackles, Not an A frame, it is going to just one side of the truck i can see and with the support only on one side when used as an A frame it would just twist off.... this thing would fold like an envelope, it has a use maybe a windsock of type but thats about all that would hold.... I had an official Mil A frame for an M 37 and that aint it at alll not even close by a long shot too.... :)

Last edited:

1954m37

You guy's have helped me out a lot, I have been building an A frame for lifting things around the house. I never knew that the military had made some. thank you for your help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks