• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is everyones thoughts on the IBIS TEK medium duty tow bar?

racingjoe66

What is everyones thoughts or opinion on the IBIS TEK medium duty 44,000 lbs tow bar kits? I am looking at using it for my hmmwv to pull my jeep kaiser or vice versa about 20 miles round trip on mostly flat ground.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got one, never used it yet. I don't know if I want to try 44K with it....The legs don't look all that sturdy, I wouldn't see pulling a hmmwv or jeep as a problem though.

aleigh

I got scared off them by the stories of them breaking - just google around - and ended up getting the older GP medium that the IBIS TEK replaced, the one that weighs a million lbs. Have had no problems with it.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use one to pull the HEMTT.
This has been discussed in another thread and been discussed some are afraid of it because someone posted a picture of one they destroyed the one my friend has pulled several 923s and LMTV with absolutely no problems.
Use it right and it will treat you right and get your truck home.

racingjoe66

I have read some of the stories and seen pics one that was destroyed. the one that was destroyed looked different than the one I am looking at getting and what I could tell was an older (tan) model and then they updated to the black one that was suppose to be stronger.

Thanks for the input guys. I think for what I am going to do I will be fine useing it to pull either one home from mudding or if one breaks down. I liked it caused it collapsed and didn't weigh a ton and wouldn't obstruct my view for the DOT to scream about.

I think what I got from most of the reading I did on them was to make sure it was locked into place when pulled out or that is when people ran into trouble with them breaking

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ground off alittle on the steel feet from the real heavy tow bar system.Then those feet fit good on the 44k ibistek.
DSC_00032.jpg
DSC_00033.jpg

my69camaro

I just bought a 2012 dated complete kit new in crate for $299 on evilbay. Hope to use it this weekend to drag my non runner from my parents house to mine. From what I've read the black medium bars didn't have the issues with breaking.

parklandtrans

You 100% correct....all I had to do was machine approx..150 -.200 off and it works perfectly. As the other thread stated..." If you treat it right it will take care of you and treat you right"...very well put..!! Yes, I bought my 44k tow kit from the guy in Wisconsin...as far as I'm concerned this guy is as solid as the come...has ALWAYS treated me very well. In fact, last week we were both so busy with things going on in our lives, he sent me an item I won at an auction before I even knew I won the auction...let alone pay for it...!! So I'm looking at this $300.00 + HMMWV Item sitting on my doorstep not knowing I won the auction and for sure knowing I didn't pay for it...his reply was" I Trust you" ...send me payment when you get a chance..!! Solid guy in my book..

Last edited:

racingjoe66

Nice! Sounds like a super great guy! I plan on using mine when I get one to tow my HMMWV with my 1967 Jeep Kaiser when I go off roading and its only a 20 mile or so round trip or tow the Kaiser with the HMMWV as it is mostly flat ground. Will see how it goes. And the $299 he sells them for seems like a super great deal!

parklandtrans

It is an obsolutly awesome COMPLETE quality Tow kit that comes with more adapters then you'll ever use..!! Dharpe82 is eBay handle and my advice is to get one before there gone..!! Please look picture in post #7, these are the tow bar feet you will require. 3/4 " pin dia at the shackle hook up point and 1" at the ibis tek tow bar end. Again, remember you must remove enough material so tow bar feet slide right into tow bar connection point (approx .150-.200 material removal)

Bob

Last edited:

parklandtrans

Joe,
I had my friend at the Machine shop remove the required amount of material, using the right machine shop equipment made it look like it came right from the factory..!!..that's the way you want all of your stuff to look like...100% OEM..!!!
Bob

racingjoe66

I have a friend that works @ a tool & die place, so I will most likely have him machine it off for me like you did. Be a lot better than I could do at home with a grinder that's for sure, lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks