• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is going on with this Flexplate? Out of round and bent? Yikes...

Ackevor

Well he took it in Tuesday night and handed it back to me Yesterday after work. He said he tried to find what caused the flexplate to warp or bend the way it did but nothing was missing or out of place. The plate that was on it was he same as the one linked to Rock Auto, I didn't count teethe but everything on it and the diameter was the same.

He explained how when the plate flexes it pull the torque convertor in and pushes it out slightly on some slide gear ( I know I am forgetting the proper terms), to make sure it doesn't ended up sliding too far off of it sometimes they need shimmed to keep it from popping off under load if it flexed just right, thats what the washers were for and he said he had to put them back in to keep the right spacing.

It doesn't wobble or have any runout like the last one did and the starter has equal contact all around now thanks to one of his guys for shimming it.

Unfortunately that harmonic vibration through the drive train or wherever is still present around 55-60mph and up. Probably worse since I put poly motor, trans, bed and cab mounts on the truck. He did offer to help me find whats causing it on a Saturday after the holidays. Just to bring it in and we can put it on the lift and get her up to speed and try to spot the cause.

He suggested even though the drive shaft is new that because it wasn't actually balanced in a machine, the 4.56 gears are spinning it so much faster than usual that any irregularly would become noticable at that rpm. No shop around here has a shaft balancer, they all ship them to Cleveland OH...

Anyway thanks for the help everyone, I am off to just keep on replacing things until its a brand new truck ;-)

nyoffroad

He explained how when the plate flexes it pull the torque convertor in and pushes it out slightly on some slide gear ( I know I am forgetting the proper terms), to make sure it doesn't ended up sliding too far off of it sometimes they need shimmed to keep it from popping off under load if it flexed just right, thats what the washers were for and he said he had to put them back in to keep the right spacing.;-)
That's a new one for me! I hope he didn't sell you a new high rise muffler bearing too.
Sounds like he didn't want to admit something.