• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is it Worth?

cavetech

Today, I looked at a 1942 Willy's Jeep that is supposed to be restored. I was told the body has been replaced from the windshield back. The engine has been rebuilt, but needs a carburetor. It is 12 volt. Nice paint job. New highway tires. No top. No shovel,etc. holder. Two front seats look new. Hydraulics are supposedly new. Back of body has a drop down door which I didn't think this year Jeep had.

How much is it worth?

I can only get one picture to post.

Thanks, Steve

20160318_140507.jpg

FrankUSMC

That is a CJ2A painted green, with M151 rims. It is worth as much as a farm jeep painted up nice. If you get it, get rid of the rims. They would have had to do some cutting on them to get them over the front hubs, unsafe.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It appears to be a post war civi Frankin jeep, from the windshield forward is not military either, they were 6V back then. So it will never be correct so bid what it is worth to you. To me with title to have around the farm $1500.

Frank types faster!!

PaFarmer

Hard to tell what is going on, the frame does not appear to be stock civilian. The prior comments look right. The windshield looks homemade. The grill and hood are civilian. A decent looking and running CJ2a is worth a lot more than $1500. Reproduction MB grill, hood and other parts can make them look more military.

cavetech

Thank you for the very enlightening comments. The elderly owner/restorer is trying to pass it off as a authentic military Jeep. I think I'd rather have a 5 ton any how.

Thanks, Steve

20160318_140534.jpg

Let's play a game.

See if you can list at least two things on that vehicle that MIGHT be original military. I suppose reproductions would be OK.

I am going with the rear bumper - although it is obviously reproduction and missing the holes for the bumperettes, which are also missing - and the side grab handle - also probably a reproduction and odd that the rear ones are missing.

Second photo is not clear enough to make a determination on the data plate on the dash, but it sure does a nice job on the tail lights, steering wheel, and seats.

Foxtrot Oscar

Game Time

Let's play a game.

See if you can list at least two things on that vehicle that MIGHT be original military. I suppose reproductions would be OK.

I am going with the rear bumper - although it is obviously reproduction and missing the holes for the bumperettes, which are also missing - and the side grab handle - also probably a reproduction and odd that the rear ones are missing.

Second photo is not clear enough to make a determination on the data plate on the dash, but it sure does a nice job on the tail lights, steering wheel, and seats.
Now I'm no expert on Jeeps...

But the White Star on the bonnet looks to be a pretty good repro - Just in the wrong place.

The round 'bulge' between the seats might be Military - Perhaps off a radar or some such?

The wheel rims do look to be Mutt or Mitey Mite (Told ya I'm no expert!)

That's three. :naner:

On the downside -
The front chassis legs seem to be too long.
The rear spring shackles look wrong.
There don't seem to be any storage bins in the rear.
That rear bumper doesn't seem right either.
The windscreen wiper is upside-down.

The windshield seems to remind me of those US Postal delivery Jeeps I have seen pics of.

Still wondering about the bulge...

Good game GUNNUT !! :-D

Plane Fast

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgThe frame is not right as well. The frame over the front axle should bow up, not straight. I guess aftermarket? Maybe an OMIX body too.

Last edited:
Now I'm no expert on Jeeps...

But the White Star on the bonnet looks to be a pretty good repro - Just in the wrong place.

The round 'bulge' between the seats might be Military - Perhaps off a radar or some such?

The wheel rims do look to be Mutt or Mitey Mite (Told ya I'm no expert!)

That's three. :naner:

On the downside -
The front chassis legs seem to be too long.
The rear spring shackles look wrong.
There don't seem to be any storage bins in the rear.
That rear bumper doesn't seem right either.
The windscreen wiper is upside-down.

The windshield seems to remind me of those US Postal delivery Jeeps I have seen pics of.

Still wondering about the bulge...

Good game GUNNUT !! :-D
Ummmm . . . This is going to take more time, if we identify what is NOT right with the vehicle.

:grin:

gerrykan

I think the bulge/hump between the seats might be a steel pot(helmet).
That way you know the seller is not lying to you. It has to be an authentic military jeep if there is still a helmet in it.

I know nothing about these jeeps but it seems the OP did the right thing by asking. ��

I agree completely.

Although I don't post often here, I do come here for information and - entertainment.

The information is excellent!

Often times the information is not something I am looking for, as I don't collect much to do with military vehicles except my Mule and MB. There are other forums for the numerous other military items I collect.

Of course, the entertainment is always good - most likely because it is based on military "stuff". For instance, a line about a "NOS Jeep in a crate" would be confusing on the woodworking forum I frequent. They would focus more on the "crate" part. There would be much discussion on the type of material, joinery, and model of table saw you should use to build such a crate.

Kvrazelm923

If you are even thinking about a five ton I'd go that direction, I love mine and I would bet I get a lot more looks than the frankin jeep would although I would love to have one that wasn't all mismatched