• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is it?

Al Harvey

I was watching that and forgot all about it. lol I'm pretty sure it is the bracket for the turret where the pintel sets in. Here is an image I come across that shows it. Many are solid designs without the holes. Don't know which came first, if the holed ones replaced the solid ones to reduce weight or the solid replaced the holed ones from strength. Just guessing on that. The first pic shows a solid one and the second shows the one with the holes in it.

Attachments

KsM715

The OP asked if maybe it was used for "towing". NDT was jokingly asking about towing or TOW Missles.

Either way, yes it is part of the turret on the HMMWV's

Al Harvey

The NSN description actually had towing at the end of it. Not sure what they meant by the word towing, unless they considered the bracket is "towing" the pintle.

Al Harvey

That's the tough part to figure out. Haven't seen any for sale anywhere so I have no idea what the price or demand would be for one. The best bet to find if there is demand is to try putting it on "that one auction site" and see if it gets any hits. It might fit other turret set ups as well but not sure.

KsM715

The NSN description actually had towing at the end of it. Not sure what they meant by the word towing, unless they considered the bracket is "towing" the pintle.
I completely missed that in reading the post the first time around. Odd that it would say that in the description.

If you can afford to just sit on it I would hold onto it until you see someone looking for one. Time to start searching the net for some HMMWV sites

3dAngus

Armored HMMWVs are referred to as towing vehicles or tow carriers.
2540-01-529-9368 was the nsn.

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Well actually I have 6 kits that I'm looking to sell.
I completely missed that in reading the post the first time around. Odd that it would say that in the description.

If you can afford to just sit on it I would hold onto it until you see someone looking for one. Time to start searching the net for some HMMWV sites

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are worth about 250-300 or so....I have a few I my shop, they replaced the early stamped sheet metal version, these are heavier duty to withstand the beating from the M2 and mk19.
i have one on my Slantback. Post it for sale here or on the G503 HMMWV section. You could get more...ask 400 OBO...you never know...everything Slantback related today is pricey due to demil requirements.

Augi

It's called a weapons tray. The version you have is colloquially known as the "swiss cheese mount" because of all the holes.

I think I paid $75 for mine. With all the pins and stuff in the kit you might get more.

I don't know why there would be a mod kit consisting of just a weapons tray though. Who would make a vehicle with a weapons station but not include the tray to mount the weapon? I though that even the TOW carrier HMMWV's had a regular weapons tray in addition to the TOW mount.

Augi

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. Being that when I first saw these I was figuring they would probably end up as scrap I would never try to get top dollar for them. As of now I think they are all spoken for at what I see now to be a very good deal to the buyers, and at a price I never expected to get. So thanks again for all the help.

3dAngus

Glad you were able to sell them. When I bid on that lot, I never could research out the final answer as to what they were.
SS is awesome!
Oh, and I would not ask the question while there was a live auction going on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks