• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is supposed to go there?

Thor0673

I recently got my hands on a ’67 Ford M151A1. Not only am I new to this endeavor, I’m also new to vehicles. In other words, I know absolutely nothing about mechanical things, other than how to break them. Here is my question. I have an open space in the engine compartment. It is the area right in front of the driver side, behind the air cleaner. Does anybody know what is supposed to go there? I posted a pic for reference. C05885ED-F170-439D-B1A9-D1615904B50E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google image search suggests the wiring harness passes through that area and used some of the holes, also throttle cable, etc.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Thor and welcome to the hobby and congrats on your 151 that should be a fun vehicle to be driving around in! If I may make one suggestion for to you concerning this vehicle and that is to take a look at this site there is and area call the Tms (technical manuals) its free and there is so much info there it will keep you occupied for as long as you want to be. You can also print out the sections that you are working on at the time and take those out to you garage to assist in guiding you on the task at hand. There are other places that will sell you a complete set of both operators and maintenance manuals for your new vehicle. There is definitely an additional level of enjoyment/security know you are at least a bit self sufficient in repairing these vehicls when on the road if need be!
Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
Karl

Thor0673

Hello Thor and welcome to the hobby and congrats on your 151 that should be a fun vehicle to be driving around in! If I may make one suggestion for to you concerning this vehicle and that is to take a look at this site there is and area call the Tms (technical manuals) its free and there is so much info there it will keep you occupied for as long as you want to be. You can also print out the sections that you are working on at the time and take those out to you garage to assist in guiding you on the task at hand. There are other places that will sell you a complete set of both operators and maintenance manuals for your new vehicle. There is definitely an additional level of enjoyment/security know you are at least a bit self sufficient in repairing these vehicls when on the road if need be!
Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
Karl
Thanks Karl, I did download a copy of the manual. I may have to look at the ones on this site. So far this thing has been a blast. I find it therapeutic just messing with it. I’m not planning on making it parade pretty, I just want to drive it around and off road it. It’s got a little ways to go for that. I was lucky and picked one that still runs. So far I’m just busting the rust and old paint off it.

Thor0673

Google image search suggests the wiring harness passes through that area and used some of the holes, also throttle cable, etc.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Thanks CWC, I saw a video that had a little black box in that space. But your information brings me a little relief knowing that the black box I saw is probably not that important. I thought it might be something for the wiring or maybe the windshield wiper motor. I’ll keep my eyes peeled on this site. Thanks for the pic, gives me something to reference when I get to that place.

fasttruck

Post 3 has the straight skinny. Do not make a move without the pubs. Read the reading. Also find a lubrication order which will identify all then grease points of which there are many. Neglect them at your own peril. Grease is cheap, parts cost money. A M151 has 3ea grease points on the half shafts that go from the differentials to the hubs. These are hard to reach and a standard grease gun will not fit into the u-joint to reach the grease fitting on the spider. You need to get an adapter such as a needle fitting that goes on the end of the grease gun's jaw and allows you to inject grease through the spring loaded ball in the center of the zerk fitting in the joint.

Thor0673

Post 3 has the straight skinny. Do not make a move without the pubs. Read the reading. Also find a lubrication order which will identify all then grease points of which there are many. Neglect them at your own peril. Grease is cheap, parts cost money. A M151 has 3ea grease points on the half shafts that go from the differentials to the hubs. These are hard to reach and a standard grease gun will not fit into the u-joint to reach the grease fitting on the spider. You need to get an adapter such as a needle fitting that goes on the end of the grease gun's jaw and allows you to inject grease through the spring loaded ball in the center of the zerk fitting in the joint.
Sounds good. Thanks. I’m not quite at greasing anything yet. I’m still in the process of breaking this thing down cleaning, and busting rust. I’m also trying to figure out what parts I will be needing in the future. More as an estimate at how much I might end up spending.

Thor0673

Evening all,

Mr. Lucas actually purchased my M151A1, It originally came from the collection of Dave MaGillavagry .( I may have misspelled his last name).
That’s funny. Mine was originally from Dave McGillavagry. I got it from a guy in northwestern North Carolina. Brought it back to Jacksonville, NC.

Thor0673

If it runs and charges the batteries, could it have a 151a2 generator on it and the external regulator removed?
It’s possible. The generator is currently not plugged into anything, which made me wonder what part was missing that it plugs into. The wiring for the vehicle is gone, well at least the wiring to all the lights. The battery cables are still in it.

Thor0673

Please post more pic's. You say it runs ??
It does. Well it did until I started taking it apart. I got it home, dropped new batteries in it and drove it down the street and back in my neighborhood, I can’t wait to get this thing at 100% road worthy, because just in the 5 or 10 minutes I took it for a spin made me giggle like a little school girl. This thing is going to be a blast to drive around. I posted a before and current pics for ya.9719BCF5-E195-4B66-8D53-91312927FE0B.jpeg0A1157EB-E150-4706-9A61-3CAC469F544F.jpeg

acudanut

If it's am A2 engine, you won't need the bread box. Looks like a solid Mutt. What does it look like under the skirt...Bottom. ?
I see A2 type shackles on your A1 (on the rear panel). That is odd.. Hmmm. Maybe Hambone can explain that.
Looking at your front bumper, I think you have a USMC jeep. !!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks