• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best brand of flat black paint?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL, did you use the white or black nozzle?
I always use the white nozzle. The black nozzle is supposed to put out a narrower cone of paint, but I find it harder to use without putting too much on. I use the white nozzle with several light coats. You can actually get pretty good at it.

ohfiredude

I found this out by accident, but pressure washing the painted areas with just water will dull the paint and give a more uniform look. So, after waiting about a week for the paint to set, I then pressure wash it. Not bad.

jvrotter

I just painted my M1009. The base coat of 383 green turned out great. When I put the flat black camo on it looks like s**t. Very uneven and partly shiny. This is with the Gillespie flat with a spray gun. Then tried to even it with the rattle cans, still crappy. Now the wind came up so I'll have to wait a day or two. While I'm waiting, I'll go get some of the Krylon flat black, see if thats any better.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Jv,

Just wait a few days. I have found after using the Rustoleum it took a few days and then it looked right. There is something odd about black that it doesn't look good at first. I used the rapco green and I'm sure you thought the same that it looked great right after spraying. The black of course was another story. But after it was dry and cured for a few days it looked a lot better. Click the link in my sig line for pics of how mine turned out. Now the black looks even and not so blotchy anymore.

ohfiredude

I just painted my M1009. The base coat of 383 green turned out great. When I put the flat black camo on it looks like s**t. Very uneven and partly shiny. This is with the Gillespie flat with a spray gun. Then tried to even it with the rattle cans, still crappy. Now the wind came up so I'll have to wait a day or two. While I'm waiting, I'll go get some of the Krylon flat black, see if thats any better.
I went ahead and tried the Krylon Ultra flat black. For me, it worked out a lot better as opposed to the Gillespie flat black. I pressure washed the truck after waiting few days and the pressure wash took much of the shine off the 383 green paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks