• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best power steering pump?

theairguy

My power steering pump on my m1165a is going out, I am looking at options. I was wondering why some on eBay are $300 but Hummer parts guy is $750 is there a difference?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there can be a difference. When I was searching last year, I found many p[umps that had the right part number but turned out to be for civilian 6.5 Diesel applications. The civilian version of the steering pump does not account for the HMMWV fan clutch pressure, and as a result can lack sufficient oomph to operate both the fan clutch and the power steering. Best to buy a confirmed military part or from HPG as noted. I didn't pay $750 for mine, since it came from the surplus parts chain, but I expect it to be better than something I could have gotten from the aftermarket at large. HMMWV's already drive and steer poorly at high speed, no sense adding a questionable pump to the mix...
BDGR

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 pumps for trucks with remote mounted PS reservoir, one is 105 BAR, the other is 120 BAR, the REV truck is 120 BAR.
the TM’s spell out the appropriate pump based on SN via the UOC.
But to be fair, either pump will work…

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through this a couple of months ago for my M998. I was upgrading to a 200 amp generator and I noticed a few drips coming out of the PS pump. I figured this was the time to do it as otherwise most of the stuff would have to come off again.

I got one off of Fleabay for $266. Yes, I was told the same thing that the military one is different on the inside. I also changed the hoses while I was in there too. Just don't accidentally flip the two lower pressure hoses or it will not work! I see the seller how has it listed for $250.

No problem it driving the fan clutch, brakes and power steering all the same time.

Just I agree you got to watch out for the Chinacapulance, but I really, really hate paying the HMMWV tax!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through this a couple of months ago for my M998. I was upgrading to a 200 amp generator and I noticed a few drips coming out of the PS pump. I figured this was the time to do it as otherwise most of the stuff would have to come off again.

I got one off of Fleabay for $266. Yes, I was told the same thing that the military one is different on the inside. I also changed the hoses while I was in there too. Just don't accidentally flip the two lower pressure hoses or it will not work! I see the seller how has it listed for $250.

No problem it driving the fan clutch, brakes and power steering all the same time.

Just I agree you got to watch out for the Chinacapulance, but I really, really hate paying the HMMWV tax!
the OP stated the truck is an m1165, based on your statement you have an rcsk18330 pump, that doesn’t work in a truck with Remote PS reservoir, it’s for m998’s and A2 trucks and the occasional M1113.
The rcsk18330 pump has a higher BAR than what is generally available, it’s to support the MM Winch.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pressure output on the Saginaw (older style) pump is set by the regulator valve in the output fitting, there are kits to set it to a higher pressure, otherwise the pump itself is the same and can be picked up very reasonable if you are willing to change the pump cover (reservoir)
Edit in fact it is the same basic pump still used in many GM vehicles, the 2008 LMM that is in the DuraVee has a Cardone pump and works great.

Last edited:

theairguy

Yes, there can be a difference. When I was searching last year, I found many p[umps that had the right part number but turned out to be for civilian 6.5 Diesel applications. The civilian version of the steering pump does not account for the HMMWV fan clutch pressure, and as a result can lack sufficient oomph to operate both the fan clutch and the power steering. Best to buy a confirmed military part or from HPG as noted. I didn't pay $750 for mine, since it came from the surplus parts chain, but I expect it to be better than something I could have gotten from the aftermarket at large. HMMWV's already drive and steer poorly at high speed, no sense adding a questionable pump to the mix...
BDGR
Yes thank you for the info, Mine has the Duramax fan kit on it so it no longer has the Cadillac valve. I has a regular clutch fan. So I may be able to use the non military one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks