• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best way to buy a M1008?

Zack1978

Hi everyone,
I would like to purcahse an M1008 in the future, and I have some questions about actually making the purchase. Where is the best place to get a truck from? I have read horror stories here about govt liquidation. What makes them difficult to deal with? Is there a better place to get a truck from? I know that they generally damage driveshafts. Are there still M1008's to be had? I have a good friend who just came back from a tour in Iraq, and he told me that the Army still uses M1008's. Is the best bet from a private seller?

Thanks,
Zack

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Zack,

Welcome to the site.....most of your questions can be answered using the SEARCH feature at the top of the page.

Not trying to be a butt ......it just saves a lot of reposting about your questions.

My personal opinion about the CUCV's and other civy vehicles that were militarized is that unless you are well versed in those electrical systems you may have issues.

Most problems associated with these vehicles are electrical in nature.

That being said it is your money and you are free to spend it on the money pit of your choice. All my spare cash is dumped into three deuces.

1stSarge

Hi Zack and welcome.

This has been covered well in previous threads, but if you have limited experience with this type of vehicle, or are unsure about dealing with GL. Then go to a private dealer or person. You will pay more, but you will get to drive and check out the vehicle in question.

GL sometimes is a crap shoot, you don’t know what you are getting. But many times a member here can preview it for you if he is in the area.

If you know CUCV’s and have the tools/parts/friends to make a GL recovery then you might save money. But otherwise stick to a private sale for your first one.

Take time to learn the manuals and other common problem areas. My signature has the links to many common questions and answers.