• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best year of Deuce to buy?

Oldgrunt

Hi
New guy on the site, my bro Kipman turned me on to you guys, he's a great little brother but no help. I'm an old grunt that actually volunteered in 75 thinking I would see some action. I'm in the process of trying to obtain a deuce from Wrightpatterson, with any luck I will have my own here soon. Gimpy Rob Kipman tells me you know your deuces inside and out, any thoughts?

Westech

CPL
RE: What is the best year of Duce to buy?

there is no best year.. been about the same stuff for 50 years. just get the engine and other good stuff you want.

DavidB

Westech is right on this one. Pick options, condition and then year if for license issues(collector/vintage).
DavidB

beaubeau

My opinion try something in the years 1968-1972, With turbo is best. don't go by miles showing on odometer, check Hours and mileage.Watch for serial # with O4???

micky

87 or 88 USAF trucks, contract #1406? Or my personal favorite the handsome and sexy M35A3. These came with split brakes. I think that is the best option to have.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 87/88/89 contract year M35A2C USAF trucks have all the latest upgrades. Dual brakes being one of them. Look for the 87K, 88K, or 89K #'s in the descriptions. There are 3 on GL right now.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps it's just vanity but I'm looking (not very hard yet) for a mid 50s gasser frame and correct data plate. I want to move all my crap from the dropside to the older chassis. Don't have a good reason, just want to.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I do like the airshift we had more sprag problems with our active duty deuces than any other issue. They are highly reliable trucks ours was used to start every other truck in the motorpool in the cold Fort Devens winters. My 1970 starts in less time than it takes to release the start lever. I like to know if it is going to run at the site regardless of batteries or other get it ready PMCS issues it may have. GL used to show the truck running or have a statement that it runs some still say that and if you can inspect it or have someone from here do it for you that is priceless.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Oldgrunt, I am far from an expert. From what I have learned here reading alot, find the truck you want and bid to win. If this will be something to do in you spare time or keep you out of bars(my excuse), find one that has a good body and add what you want from there. I would look for one with good tires and a strong motor. Everything else is easy. Kip has led you down a VERY slippery slope, you should get out now before you end up with 4 or more trucks. :)

DanMartin

I'm going to have to agree with Emmado22. The later USAF deuces have all of the latest upgrades (including the dual braking system), and typically have less wear-and-tear on them. Of course, many of the older trucks that were still in service were rebuilt in the mid 80's to like-new condition, but that many not include all of the upgrades that the newer ones had from the factory.

IMO, the newer the truck the better.

oilcan

Re: What is the best year of Duce to buy?

Oldgrunt said:
Hi
New guy on the site, my bro Kipman turned me on to you guys, he's a great little brother but no help. I'm an old grunt that actually volunteered in 75 thinking I would see some action. I'm in the process of trying to obtain a deuce from Wrightpatterson, with any luck I will have my own here soon. Gimpy Rob Kipman tells me you know your deuces inside and out, any thoughts?
Aww man, another one from Lancaster?! What do they put in the water over there, anyway? :wink: Looks like the ole' buckeye is sloppin' over with MV's! We're gonna have to have us an old fashioned get-together pretty soon. Hopefully when the only ice will be in the coolers...

goldneagle

RE: Re: What is the best year of Duce to buy?

Sometimes luck is a factor in getting a truck from GL. I bid on mine sight unseen (except for the pictures in the auction) and was able to drive it home 400 miles without any mechanical problems. The only trouble we ran into was stolen parts while the truck was still in GL's hands after I won the bid on it. If it wasn't for the "missing parts" my truck would have been ready for use right off the lot.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

ALWAYS save your pics from the auction and take them with you! Sorry to hear you got parts removed from your truck.

goldneagle

Hay GIMP I'm slightly paranoid so I did save all the pictures from the auction. i have a claim submitted to them right now. I am waiting for a reply. They said 15 working days minimum for a decision. I hope they make the right decision otherwise its chargeback time on the old American Express card. They a negligent for not securing the SOLD property better. They leave the customers alone with the trucks while they go lode up someone at another part of the base. Meantime customer shops for parts on other buyer's trucks. A lot of things can happen while you wait for the EUC to clear...

gimpyrobb

Yeah, I don't know what I would have done in that situation, but I know I would have seen RED. Might even asked where the trucks not bought yet were.

goldneagle

Thanks to a great deal from Wreckerman and Ron delivering to Louisiana, I was able to replace all the STOLEN items for around $250. I spent another $45 to get the wiper upgrades from Saturn. I just need some Windshield seal kits to really complete the job.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Wow, goldneagle - that transformation is like night and day! Great rescue of a scavenged truck...

halftrack

Re: RE: Re: What is the best year of Duce to buy?

goldneagle said:
Sometimes luck is a factor in getting a truck from GL. I bid on mine sight unseen (except for the pictures in the auction) and was able to drive it home 400 miles without any mechanical problems. The only trouble we ran into was stolen parts while the truck was still in GL's hands after I won the bid on it. If it wasn't for the "missing parts" my truck would have been ready for use right off the lot.
Was your truck purchased from Pineville? BUYER BEWARE AT PINEVILLE. TO ALL who may purchase a truck from this location, word on the street is that some of the NG guys running the show over there have thier own little thing going on like letting thier buddies come talk parts off of trucks sitting in the yard. If you buy from this location, do not be surprised if parts are missing. I had bought a truck from there and the tranny and heads were taken off after auction. I did not save the pics but now I make it a point to save all GL pics on trucks I bid on.