• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the canister on the inside of the front bumper, driver side?M923A2

Snowman7

I have a '91 M923A2.

I apologize if it is a dumb question, I've looked through the entire -10 and checked the first volume of the support manuals as well as searched this forum, locally and via google, and I don't see any reference to it.

It has a T-handle on the end of it, and lines going toward the engine. It is leaking oil, and I don't know what it is. I didn't want to just try to open it, and dump more oil everywhere before knowing more about it.

I was driving a short distance(~6miles) and noticed oil pressure lowering, so I immediately stopped and checked dipstick. Oil level is perfect. Pressure will come up with rpm, but at idle, sits almost at zero. I read another post with a similar issue, and it was mentioned that this is fairly common, so I'm not terribly concerned about the pressure.

I noticed the oil leaking from this questionable canister, and am wondering if that could cause the issue? I have not checked the sending unit or the gauge just yet.

I'll upload a pic later for clarification if someone can't identify it tonight.

Thanks in advance.

Snowman7

CAM02722.jpg
This thing. Like CBR says, looks to me like another filter or something. The lines go to the bottom of the oilpan, and into the rear of the block.
CAM02724.jpg
This line, to the rear of the block has a valve on it, would make sense to change filter.

anyone know if they have a replaceable gasket or O-ring that may be causing the leak?
CAM02723.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like one of the old "TP" filters. Some of them used paper towel rolls. Are you sure it doesn't just need a few twists to tighten it up(Like the oil dipstick)?

MO MV man

So it's like the filters that used to be on the old L-Head Willys and the like?
Pressurized oil goes in one end and what remains of that pressure that same pressure pushes it into the pan?
Like the old Willys used to dribble back into the timing cover.
Not a super effective means of filtration.

Wouldn't that sort of line coming off an oil gallery with no dead head or restrictor/orifice produce a pressure drop?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am guessing that someone moved the oil filter from where it was to where it is now to make it easier to change.

goldneagle

Could it be what they call a bypass oil filter. I installed one on my first Deuce. It slowly filters the oil to a much finer level so it will last longer between changes. It is an add-on not a replacement for the original oil filter setup.

Snowman7

Lol, this is my first foray into this world, how did I get a truck with some random oddball part!? I haven't really messed with it, because I wasn't entirely sure what it was. I'll check to see if the main oil filter is in the conventional spot on the other side. I'll try to tighten it up and see if that helps. If it doesn't I guess I'll try to shut that valve and open it up!

Thanks for all the input!

Snowman7

Well, I put a tool on the T-handle and cranked it down a little more, and I think that stopped the leak. I haven't driven it very far yet, but it looks like it should be ok. I also put an oil pressure tester on it, and pressure was 65psi at cold start, 78 at 2100rpm, and after a 10 min drive it was 25psi at idle. Seems fine to me, anyone know part numbers for a new oil pressure sending unit and/or gauge?

Monkeyboyarmy

I had one on the first A2 I picked up. When I started it up in the 10 degree weather, it leaked like a sieve. Put a crank on it and drove it 420 miles. It is a bypass filter. I am trying to get a close up picture of it from the guy I sold it to. I believe it had the element number right on it.

Attachments

MO MV man

Oil pressure sending unit......

I just PM'ed you some sending unit info.
Well, I put a tool on the T-handle and cranked it down a little more, and I think that stopped the leak. I haven't driven it very far yet, but it looks like it should be ok. I also put an oil pressure tester on it, and pressure was 65psi at cold start, 78 at 2100rpm, and after a 10 min drive it was 25psi at idle. Seems fine to me, anyone know part numbers for a new oil pressure sending unit and/or gauge?

Csm Davis

That is a bypass oil filter and they work great normally it was probably made in Mississippi as all of the units I have seen were. I would keep it if you can get it to working properly, they are expensive to buy but not to maintain. Would love pictures of where the other line goes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks