• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the correct diagnostic sequence for this problem?

sdasdona

I purchased a 86 cucv. It ran great but after running WMO filtered to 5 microns and mixed 50/50 with diesel it has the following symptoms.

1. It requires a small shot of ether to start
2. It produces a large volume of black smoke especially when I hit the pedal
3. It is sluggish going from a stop and climbing hills

the vehicle idles nicely and runs well. I have been combing the forums and cannot find definitive troubleshooting answers, Some things that seem applicable are the CDR and glass ball in the bypass valve?? Am I on the right trac?

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome SDA, some questions that would help everyone

1.) Are you starting it on Diesel first and then switching to the WMO?
2.) Is the WMO heated up first
3.) Do you have a second tank or running in the main tank?
4.) Have you tried to go back to straight Diesel?
5.) How did it start before you tried WMO
6.) Are you on your first tank?
7.) Have you tested your Glow Plugs via the Technical Manual procedure?

I would stop on the ether as it can produce a higher dedonation that can mess with your pistons, etc.

Last edited:

sdasdona

Thanks Swiss for the reply the answers

I am only using the original tank, there is no preheating other than the block heater, It started fine on diesel, this issue began with the first tank of 50'50 fuel so that is why I believe it is the problem. The glow plugs are new but i will check the TM and see how to test them. Currently I put some 20% bio diesel in the tank hopefully to clean everything out. Seems to be smoking less. Is it possible that the injectors could be pluggsed? i am working on a fuel heating system using glow plugs but not operational yet. My goal is to eventually burn SVO. Is there another alternative to Ether, this can says its for diesel??

sdasdona

Thanks Epartsman, can you give me a site that explains those things especially IP recalibration? I am also wondering if there are special injectors for this type of thing?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ether with GLOW plugs cause a BIG event which causes the owner to be VERY unhappy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drain tank, and clean it out. Get IP rebuilt and new injectors installed. ($600)

Fill with diesel.

Problem solved.

Ever hear of an engine running on water? Try filling your DIESEL truck with that once(just 20%)

Your truck is a diesel truck. It is not a waste oil engine.

The sticker on your air filter housing says, no ether.

Ever see those "caution fan" stickers? Do you put your hand in to the fan, anyway?

epartsman

In their current configuration Cucv's are designed to run on Diesel only. Do a search on this site and google it. The answers you seek will take alot of digging. Sounds to me like you gummed up your fuel system and even filtered WMO still has metal particulates that are like sandpaper to your IP. WMO is also too thick hence the need for a heater. NO either unles you want Whiff, Whiff, BOOM. It is not a question of if it will happen but when. You will have to clean it all out and replace your fuel filter. Jurry rigging a heater with glowplugs is a fire waiting to happen. Please research and read up on the conversion first. You will need to buy the proper heater etc to run WMO. You can run Biodiesel B20 but will need to change out your orings because the esthers in B20 wil destroy the old rubber orings in your IP and injector lines.

sdasdona

Many thanks my friend. This has been a long journey but the goal is worthy as i intend to take this vehicle across the country on SVO hopefully. I am wondering if you have every changed the O-rings out on the IP and injectors? Is it a difficult job? Randy

epartsman

Many thanks my friend. This has been a long journey but the goal is worthy as i intend to take this vehicle across the country on SVO hopefully. I am wondering if you have every changed the O-rings out on the IP and injectors? Is it a difficult job? Randy
You will need to have your IP rebuilt to spec by a reputable shop telling them what your intentions are. The other orings are just time consuming. I have not done mine yet but it will be done in the future as PM. I am interested and considering running B20 but the proper way. If you are running veg oil only it will run but will not have much power hence B20 with cetane boost and lubricity additives is what I suggest if you truly have to. The city trucks in Jax run B20 and they have their own plant with trucks that pick up WVO from local restaurants. I figure french fries dont have any metal particulates. Doghead is 200% correct however. The conversion has alot of upront costs that are rather pricey and the savings in fuel costs are not worth the investment @ $4.05 a gallon for diesel in Jax.

sdasdona

i appreciate your input. I have a brother in Jax Fl I will look into the recalibrating of the IP etc. Knowledge is power, On the road I will have to make repairs and adjustments myself in remote locations. again, thanks Randy

camp9

If you find any info. on rebuilding or replacing the seals, orings in the IP please PM me or post on this thread. I'm going to try rebuilding one in the near future.

sdasdona

Interestingly I spoke to a Diesel mechanic yesterday, He assured me that rebuilding the IP is doable and much cheaper than purchase of a new one. The American way now as he put it is to just throw it away and buy one from China. He told me that I probably did not need to rebuild with my particular problem but that it was carbon and fouling. There is a product "not Sea Foam" which was made by the Germans that you apply direct into the IP via the line from the tank that does the trick !!! but can be put in the tank as well. He claimed it can be found at Napa stores. I have learned that you will get many answers to the same question from seemingly knowledgable people. A lot of misinformation. This site is no different. We must not be discouraged.

camp9

I agree with the throw away mentality. I was at the junk yard yesterday, and some of the cars were being driven to the crusher, better looking that what I drive. I do think that the old rubber seals in the IP need to be replaced at some point to the newer hard ones that will handle what your going to do. I'll do some research on the next rainy day and see what I can come up with for rebuilding a IP.