• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the correct gear lube for the M52

Nicholas

I have a 1957 M52 with the 602 gas, I would like to change the gear lube in the transmission, transfer case, and diffs. I am having some problems with what oil to use. I have been told not to use any oil with an extreme pressure additive as well as to get an oil that is safe for yellow metals. I stopped at NAPA and they were unsure of what 80/90 gear lube would work. What oil does everybody else use, GL4, GL5, 80/90 or just 90. I really enjoy this site and thanks for all the help.
Thanks
Nick

jwaller

GL1 is what everybody will recommend. however if you want to use something better you can also use any GL5 with the MT1 rating. MT1 means it's safe for our old green iron.

m139h2otruck

I agree with jwaller, any good GL5 with the MT1 rating should work. Much better than the old GL1 and smells nicer!

acetomatoco

GL1 is what they were disigned for and have lasted 60 years with... You can get PartsMaster GL1 or another brand at any good tractor supply store... ACE

SierraHotel

I’ve been to 3 D.C. area Tractor Supply stores, a NAPA, a transmission shop and a heavy equipment maintenance dealer…no GL-1. In fact, most guys look at me like a dog does when you have a high pitched whistle…either that or I am growing a third head on my right shoulder. I found one guy that could order it from Arkansas for me…in 50 gallon drums!!! Sorry, lil’ more than I have money for.
I have GL-5/MT-1 (from Tractor Supply) in my front differential…anything has got to be better than the 1970 vintage sludge that was in there. I figure that the rear differentials can do GL-5/MT-1 as can the transfer case (I plan to drain, flush and refill all of them). However, can the transmission with the yellow metal AND syncro’s do GL-5/MT-1? Any other alternatives to the unavailable GL-1 in the D.C. area?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Go to Napa and give them Part # 65-205.

That's their part # for a 5 gallon bucket of 90 weight GL-1.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think about $40

citizensoldier

Yep NAPA can get it. I went through the same thing. Finally found a guy willing to call in and ask. It was $50 for 5 gallons up here. We now have the NAPA in Indian River and Boyne stocking some for us M heads up here.. I couldnt find it anywhere else.

houdel

If you are planning on using GL-5/MT-1 in the transfer case, you might as well use it in the tranny as well. The transfer case is synchronized and I assume they use the same yellow metal syncros as the tranny. Lets face it, GL-1 is a 60 or more year old fluid spec and gear fluids have improved greatly since then. You might as well use a good, modern GL-5 fluid which meets MT-1 (or MIL-1-2105, which is what is spec'ed in the 1971 version of the LO) and take advantage of the improvements which have been made. Personally, I use 85W-120 gear oil which meets milspec (I believe it is Valvoline, but I used up the last of what I have on hand and threw away the container, so I can't say for sure).

Some other members here state they have found synthetic gear oil which meets milspec and use that; more power to them but I can't justify the added cost for a truck I only drive 2-5K a year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks