• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the ideal 6.2 crankshaft/balancer bolt size, and what is the crank/balancer diameter?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6.2 N/A...

What is the ideal size and grade and make of the upgraded crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt? What is the ideal torque? Red or blue Lock-tite?

What is the exact diameter of the crankshaft that interfaces and fits within the harmonic balancer? I want to drill in secondary "keys" a-la supercharger anti-slip stabilizers.

I want to do some preventative maintenance.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
How was She built the first time?>
The "ideal size and grade of bolt" is what Whe was born with.
Might be somewhere in the TM's

Harmonic balancers should be press fit on the crank.
That "bolt" holds it to the face where it supposed to be.
What is original installation torque on that?
That bolt, Is it Re-usable = NOT.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How was She built the first time?>
The "ideal size and grade of bolt" is what Whe was born with.
Might be somewhere in the TM's

Harmonic balancers should be press fit on the crank.
That "bolt" holds it to the face where it supposed to be.
What is original installation torque on that?
That bolt, Is it Re-usable = NOT.
Frank8003... There is a bit more to it my friend. The 6.2 had an update indicating a longer bolt at higher torque was indicated.

As far as the crank diameter, I need to purchase vs make a tool to drill the interface between the crank and the balancer to insert two dowels to prevent spinning. That is why I need the correct measurement.

Respectfully, please limit responses to answering my questions as phrased, and thanks.

Last edited:

Edis06

6.2 N/A...

What is the ideal size and grade and make of the upgraded crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt? What is the ideal torque? Red or blue Lock-tite?

What is the exact diameter of the crankshaft that interfaces and fits within the harmonic balancer? I want to drill in secondary "keys" a-la supercharger anti-slip stabilizers.

I want to do some preventative maintenance.
I'm going through the same issues and need a solution.

To answer your question, though, the updated bolt is M16 1.5X50mm with a 24mm hex head. GM part #14022672. The updated is a 10.9 hardness. I just picked mine up from GM today and the texture of the finish is different than the brass-looking one I had installed earlier. The darker steel looks better in this application.

The anti-slip stabilizing bolts or dowels would solve the issues and give confidence on long off roading trips. It seriously would've helped if these were reverse-thread as the clockwise rotation of the engine is endlessly trying to loosen the crank bolt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks