• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the lowest temp your deuce started in

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Deuce sat out overnight in the mid teens, I started it about ten the next morning and it fired right off, Good batteries and the a working flame heater on the motor, it rattled for a while but fired right up!
KK

2dogsafightin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello.. Here is my question. I just got home with my m109a3 a couple weeks ago It has the manifiold heater. I have not tried to use it because I dont know how it is supposed to work??? Im currently parked in a Hay Barn and dont need any surprises, If you know what I mean..The truck has always fired right up with the touch of the button. But I have not tried to start it when its been very cold.. Any one with the time to explain it to me please feel free to start typing...I know I have a lot to learn...The deuce made a 300+ mile journey the day I bought it with no issues I think Ive got a good truck. I just need to learn the ropes...I have more questions that I will ask later... THANKS, 2dogs,,,, OUT

Flyingvan911

The manifold heater is like a giant cigarette lighter. The nozzle squirts diesel into the pipe going from the turbo to the intake manifold. The igniter sets it on fire. That's why the plate on the switch says to start cranking the engine before hitting the heater switch. You want the fire sucked toward the engine. The exhaust and hot air make it easier for the engine to start. As soon as the engine starts to crank, hit the heater switch. Hold it until the engine fires and smoothes out. But if the engine doesn't fire soon, let off the heater switch then stop cranking and let the starter cool down. Then try again.

I had to replace my nozzle bacause it leaked. I also pulled out the igniter and cleaned the electrodes. I used 400 grit sandpaper to remove the built up dirt. Be sure the electrodes are about 1/10th of an inch apart.

Also check where the negative battery and slave cable connect to the frame. I cleaned the mating surfaces the other day and the engine cranks way faster.

digitaldust

I started mine with out flame unit -19* during the night " when I started it
I start my trucks every Thursday and run them for 2 hrs or so. there is not a hot day in Michigan just nice warm ones

rlwm211

from the tm operator's manual

Do not operate manifold heater unless engine is idling
or being cranked. Engine can be damaged.
While engine is being cranked, turn MANIFOLD HEATER SWITCH (1) to ON.
The engine should start and run within 30 seconds.
If engine does not start in 30 seconds, turn MANIFOLD HEATER SWITCH (1)
to OFF and stop cranking engine.​
Wait two minutes and do steps 1 and 2 again above.
Tm available at JATONKAm35s.com Here is the link:

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/PSMultifuelOperator.pdf

RL

Chevyman_15237

I fired up my deuce a couple weeks ago... 15 degrees out. Manifold heater is disconnected, and I refuse to use ether. Took a good few minutes of on and off cranking and throttle but it fired... wasn't happy about it though. Just oredered a katz block heater for $30 shipped, that will be getting installed asap!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just started my Deuce at +5 deg about a week ago. I gave it one shot of ether and it fired right up.

When I was stationed in Germany 1970-71, I started my Deuce at -20 deg and colder. Maybe as low as -30 deg, but I can't remember exact temperatures. We normally did not have any problems at those temperatures and we did not have block heaters or ether. However, we did leave the headlights on for a while before trying to crank the engine to help warm up the batteries. At that time, we had a mixture of gassers and multifuels. Mine was a multifuel. We seldom used MOGAS, and were encouraged not to use MOGAS because of lack of injection system lubrication and lack of engine power.

As stated above, in my experience the Deuce multifuel is one of the easiest diesels to start in cold weather.

bigjoe

I was very surprised how well the deuce starts in the cold, last year i had to pull a loader out of a ditch in -10* weather, i didn't expect the truck to start without any starting aids. It did not start easy but it did fire up after about 15 seconds of cranking. I do not run it in the winter often but it always seems to be ready when I need it.:)

2dogsafightin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well,,, I started it tonight.....At 37 deg...Switch on, push start.. Its idiling within 3 seconds......Im Happy... Let it run for 10 min.... shut it down....Thanks for the info.... I hope I dont have to start it when its really cold but now I have a plan.....THANKS,,,,, 2Dogs,,,,OUT

themunitionscache

I have fired my deuce up at -40. That is fourty degrees below zero (Ferenheight). We installed a 120v circulating water heater and we plug it in for 30 mins before starting it whenever it is below 15 degrees. We also used a leaf incinerator to preheat it also. I think we have started it at around zero without having to warm the engine. Oh, we also have in the crankcase, 0-30 mobile synthetic oil. That helps a lot in cold weather!

rlwm211

I started the deuce today for its monthly "exercise". I did not move it as I had a bunch of stuff against the tailgate and door. I had to use the heater and the throttle to get it started. I set the hand throttle at about 10 clicks which works on mine to bring the engine to about 1500. I already had done my hydrostatic test, so I hit the starter and it kicked but did not catch. Next time I hit the flame heater and added one more click to the throttle cable and she caught, sputtered a bit and started idling, a bit low but after about 10 seconds she picked up and was nearly at RPM. I backed the speed down to 1100 and let it run for about 20 minutes total. I did lower the idle to 800 after about 5 minutes.

The diesel in my tank is not winter mix so I am sure that does not help. I figure it was around 20 today when I started the truck. Boy, I miss that sound....I cannot wait for spring and deuce driving time.

RL

Oilleaker1

15 degrees, but! I have a solariser that kept the batteries tip top! I did have to open the throttle 1/8 petal while cranking well. It sounded cold so I let it idle at 5-800 RPM for 10 minutes or so. I have a Kats soft plug heater for real cold. Much easier on all if you plug it in for a hour or so. Then it cracks off like summer!:lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks