• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the minimum height of a M35A2?

Mikeinblack

Sorry, stupid newbie to the deuce quesion, but I am in a situation that (if I can find a deuce) I will be needing to put it inside my garage when not in use (Maximum Garage door height 7' with a 30' deep bay). Will it fit?

Also... are all hard tops "removeable" and is the exhaust stack 100% "fixed"?...

Thanks for your time...

Mike

ida34

Hard tops are removable but not easily. The exhaust stack is designed so the upper portion detaches to make it shorter. You can also fold the windshield down and remove the troop seats. Height is 81 inches with the windshield folded down.

kinetichotshot

I'm curious as to why you "need" to put it in the garage... I've been to Lake Havaseu City an find it hard to believe that there would be a local ordinance against it. Not implying anything derogatory, just that it is an extremely small community 100mi from anywhere. If I'm not mistaken the city only has 3 stop lights!? It is a nice area though and should have plenty of good places to play with your Deuce nearby!
Good luck with your search!
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

Mikeinblack

No ordinances, but the back yard is open to a wash and the local kids get bored sometimes... Plus, at what temperature does a deuce melt ? :wink:

Capt.Marion

Mikeinblack said:
No ordinances, but the back yard is open to a wash and the local kids get bored sometimes... Plus, at what temperature does a deuce melt ? :wink:
Don't worry (or worry). You'll melt long before your truck.

saddamsnightmare

February 3rd, 2008.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET IT TO FIT YOUR GARAGE- DO EVERYTHING LISTED ABOVE- THEN fit your cab with a GMA soft top on the original removable cab irons, strike all that hardware neatly folded into the bed, remove your exhaust stack and carefully fold the windshield down on the hood, and you MIGHT HAVE 3" or 4 " to SPARE!!! BUT-BUT-BUT !!!--- You better have Plan "B" worked out and fit the stack stub with a quick clamp section of flexible metal exhaust hose- OR ALL THOSE LOVELY STACK FUMES ARE GOING INTO YOUR GARAGE RAFTERS!!! Especially on STARTING, as it takes 3 or 4 minutes to pump up and release the air brakes!!!!!
HEH, HEH, HEH, Uncle Sam was thinking about YOU in 1949!!! rofl
Living with a deuce in a development's gonna make you as popular with the neighbors as the average garage punk rock band, they are going to freak out. The other thing you can do is get one of the GI air hoses and valves for the deuce, and take your tires down to 15 to 25 PSI before going in, and reinflating to 50 PSI afteryou've come back out, using the air line fitting & valvein the cab.

We're going love hearing the stories from this expeditionary Deuce in the Wilds of Lave Havasu City,AZ.

Cheers and good luck,

Best Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss) Won't fit garages with less then 10' doors!
1971 KAiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare", Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce, "Gararages, We don't do no stinking garages (Less then 10')!!"

saddamsnightmare

FEBRUARY 3rd, 2008.
OH, I FORGOT THE WEST COAST MIRRORS HAVE TO COME OFF TOO!!!! BEtter go for the original shaky one arm mirrors and really hate life, but at least they ought to fold fairly easily. Are you sure an M38A won't handle your OD fix???
LOL, Kyle F. McGrogan

mrhp

Can't you air truck up with shop air so it can be moved immediately? We used to do that with big trucks to get them out of the shop quick.

bottleworks

mrhp said:
Can't you air truck up with shop air so it can be moved immediately? We used to do that with big trucks to get them out of the shop quick.
You don't even need to do that. A Deuce has Air over hydraulic brakes, not true air brakes. But with no air, you have no assist. I am surprised they never came with a shop air connection. I have that on the list of to-dos.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had my last duece parked in my garage for a couple of months, I also live in a regular tract house with the usual 2 car garage. It fit but it was so tight, I had to push up on the garage door to clear the steering wheel as I pulled in and that was while trying to keep from being decapatated. I also had to notch some sheet metal on the garage door to clear the exhaust pipe. I had the old single arm style mirrors and a soft top so it wasnt too much work to get set back up. This was also with 11.00 r 20 tires so that brought the height up an inch and a half or so. If it had the stock size tires I wouldnt have had to do anything extra to get it to fit. Oh and be prepared to choke once its started, I would have to start it and move it out right away otherwise I couldnt breath and my eyes would start watering. I have pictures of it somewhere but cant seem to find them, pretty funny looking from the street with the garage door open.

Mikeinblack

LOL! Now I really want to do it just to shock people :) . My area is chock full of people with dirt bikes and dune buggies, so I would be surprised if they cared about the noise... Didn't think about the soot inside the garage.... That would suck :drool: It's sheet rocked... I guess I would need to set up some sort of hose / fan arrangement...

littlebob

Be careful with the low clearance, I almost took my head off trying to back mine in looking at the mirror brackets and my son was watching and warned me.
littlebob

wadereg

Screw making the truck fit into the garage...make the garage fit the deuce. Jack the building up and fit a taller door. More work now but think of the time you would save if you did not have to put your truck together everytime you drove it. :D

area52

Hook a hose up to the exhaust pipe so you don't kill yourself when starting it up. Run it out the door toward the neighbor you don't like!! :D

dc3coyote

Someone did this on the site, Break up your concrete and trench it. just dig the foot or three down. Not only will this lower your Duece but you now have a pit to change oil in.
Or Get the desert camo netting and build a shelter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks