• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the trick to get the inner rear lug nuts (studs) off

FormerNewMVGuy

Yep! It definetly cause's over tighting which leads to pulling the threads right off the stud. But it seems everybody has a different opinion on this, but mine was a hands on experience, Or a threads off experience :lol:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've usesd heat before with good results. I heat the stud and let cool back down before I try it. Seems to break the rust loose. I always anti-sieze the outer nuts and put the inner studs on dry because you want the outer nut to come off before the stud tries to spin. It's a pain in the "you know what" if the nut is stuck to the stud and the stud is loose. Anyone who has changed many big rig tires knows what I'm talking about and about the only way to get the nut loose is with a tool that holds the stud while you turn the nut off.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
in the stuck nut to the loose thimble problem, a hot wrench works real well

Elwenil

NewMVGuy said:
Yep! It definetly cause's over tighting which leads to pulling the threads right off the stud. But it seems everybody has a different opinion on this, but mine was a hands on experience, Or a threads off experience :lol:
Like what was posted before, there is a dry and wet torque value. The wet torque value is obviously lower to prevent this very thing.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
how many places have , let alone use the wet and dry specs for the thimble and nuts, i dont beleave our tms give the wet and dry eather, just the dry

Elwenil

Actually the specs are generally standardized for the fastener size, metallurgy and thread design. I have seen a formula and a few charts for doing this with standard fasteners like bolts but nothing on the size of wheel studs but I'm sure there is a method of calculating the difference. I think one of the few places I have seen wet vs dry torque values was in a TM somewhere but I can't recall where. Most likely something to do with M715s or winch systems since that is generally what I dig into. And then there is this from a quick Google of TMs for wet/dry torque values that says to reduce by 10% for wet torque: http://www.tpub.com/content/hydraulicspneumatics/TM-9-5130-338-12P/css/TM-9-5130-338-12P_67.htm

jeli

Getting back to the original question. I usually have more problems getting the outers off without loosening the inner stud. A very good point was made to make sure all of your lugs and studs are broken loose so you know they will come off is you have a road failure. The last duals I pulled had 5 stuck outers. The outers were loose enough for me to back the inner threads off and get the outer dual off. I didn't have a fancy removal tool so I laid the tire down and used a large cresent to hold the outer nut and used a 23mm (12 point) socket in the impact to remove the inner. A 13/16" square or 8 pt would be the best but most local hardware stores stopped carrying square socket around the turn of the LAST century!!!! A did have to heat two of them with a torch

sak00

Well I got them off. Took a torch, a BIG cresent wrench and cheater and a small sledge hammer. I don't know what 325 to 350 ft/lbs. feels like , but man they were tight. I put them back on DRY and with as much strength as I could muster with a 3/4 rachet. I'll have to find a bigger torque wrench one day, but for now I'll keep a good eye on them just to be safe. My hands hurt from all the pounding. Thanks for all the input and now its on to the other side.

emr

I always grease the studs, many vehicles many years , U need to make your own call on that one there is no laws about it,and there is no proof one way or another other then opinion, I always wier wheel every stud and lugs ..these I use wire pipe cleaners for the inside,as for direction... its easy always pull to the rear of the vehicle and U are pulling in the right direction, many times when pulling super old rusted Lugs , I use a 6 ft pipe and still have had to stand hard on em, I did on the 900 that was in desert storm ,man they were the most stuck studs ive ever come accross yet, Randy